New LLD Classroom Teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by eric welch, Jul 23, 2019.

1. eric welch

eric welch New Member

Jul 23, 2019

I was just hired for my first full time teaching position in an LLD classroom. I'm very excited but very nervous as I have no idea how to run my class! I'll have about 8 students with varying disabilities. Do I teach to grade level or ability level? How do I teach reading and math lessons with such a varying comprehension abilities? How much break time do I give them? How do I handle them being constantly pulled for OT, PT, specials, etc.? It is very overwhelming and I am a planner/ worrier and I the teacher from last year left the school so I can't ask her how she ran the classroom to get a feel of how I will run things. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOMED!!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2019

So many of your questions are dependent upon the school expectations. Are there other special education teachers who you can talk to? Are you being assigned a mentor? Asking those people would be your best bet. What grades are you teaching?

4. eric welch

eric welch New Member

Jul 23, 2019

I will have a mentor and its 1st-3rd grade. I'm sure they will be have very valuable feedback for me, but I'm a planner and worrier so I like to have the maximum amount of information as soon as possible, haha.

5. Aspieteacher47

Aspieteacher47 Rookie

Aug 13, 2019

Eric,
    It sounds like you're teaching early elementary ld (learning disabilities). First of all, you need to structure your class with a way that doesn't interfere with your students' abilities. Most likely you will need visual supports (written cues) on the things in your room and the routines that you expect your students to follow. If you have students who are on the autism spectrum, they will need all kinds of visual supports and schedules to help them. I highly recommend you look up this autism resource known as The Autism Helper (Sasha) is an expert in working with students with autism and has tons of resources on TPT (Teachers Pay Teachers) which are cost effective and helpful for new and experienced teachers. It would help for you to look at the students' IEP goals and objectives to help you focus on these areas in your teaching strategies. I teach students with moderate/severe disabilities myself. I have been teaching special needs ffor the past twenty years now. It would help if you posted specifically what areas you need the most help. You will need data collection sheets for all different areas too.

6. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 13, 2019

Your first week/month should be all about getting to know your students ability levels. Run trials of their IEP goal and see where they are at. If your district has any benchmarking program (i.e. AimsWeb, Brigance, etc.) get access to it and use it to test your students. Beg, borrow, and steal from the gen ed teachers.... I went into a classroom with no curriculum. I took everything from gen ed and modified it to meet my students needs. They were being taught gen ed curriculum but I brought it down to their level. This takes A LOT of differentiation but it can be done. But get their levels first! (I don't like just going off the IEP because nothing tells me more about my students than actually working with my students.)

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 13, 2019

I have a similar classroom. They are always being pulled for services so if they miss work I put the work into folders. One period a day I set aside to complete goal work and missed work (I will take the students one at a time for goal work and the TAs work on the missed work). If a student doesn't have any missed work I have file folders with basic skills for them to do. They could always use brushing up on some things.