New Lifeskills room

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Luvmykiddos1, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Luvmykiddos1

Luvmykiddos1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

I was just hired last week to teach lifeskills for grades 3-5!

I have worked with sped kids before but not lifeskills. I'm not sure what to do to start getting ready! I have a huge room. The school I worked at before was an inclusion/resource room...all the kids had 504s but we basically did standard cirriculum with tons of differentiation. It was pretty hard to group the kids at all because they were all on different levels of everything but I did work with them in two groups.

Here are my questions-
    1.Is there any resource to show me basic room set up? like what kind of centers, etc. I'm open to buy/make anything just no idea where to start

2. I was told the whole cirriculum is based on their IEPs which I have not seen yet...I'm lost, how do I start making lesson plans? I was told my kids have to take the STAAR (standard testing for Texas) so does that mean we work on 3-5 core cirriculum?

I appreciate it, just hoping not to come off as clueless as I am. But the principal did know my background that this is my first year in this setting. She said the main dx for my kids will be pretty severe autism. I had a nonverbal ASD student last year but he was barely receiving any services, my goals for him were just trying to function in the general ed room.

:thanks:

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jul 1, 2014

Here are my questions-
    1.Is there any resource to show me basic room set up? like what kind of centers, etc. I'm open to buy/make anything just no idea where to start
    answer: It would benefit you to know how many students you will have this coming school year and break them into groupings according to their abilities. I teach moderate/severe disabilities and their abilities are varying from 12 months to 4-5 years old. It will help to know how many adults will be in the classroom as well. You will need tons of visuals because a lot of life skills students, require visual cues to help them understand what you're teaching them. Boardmaker is good software for making picture communication symbols.

2. I was told the whole curriculum is based on their IEPs which I have not seen yet...I'm lost, how do I start making lesson plans? I was told my kids have to take the STAAR (standard testing for Texas) so does that mean we work on 3-5 core curriculum?
    answer: The IEP (Individualized Education Plan) is what the majority of what you're going to be teaching is focused around. You will need to make data sheets based on their short-term objectives and collect data daily (or what the school requires) based on their goals. I highly recommend a program called Planbook.edu which is an online Lesson Plan system which is much easier to implement. Your day will require a lot of structure for these students. Some of your students will probably be non-verbal as well.

She said the main dx for my kids will be pretty severe autism. I had a nonverbal ASD student last year but he was barely receiving any services, my goals for him were just trying to function in the general ed room.
    answer: Students with autism require a lot of visually structured areas in the room because of their sensory needs. I highly recommend that you look up this website: theautismhelper.com. Sasha is INCREDIBLE in helping people on how to structure their room when working with students with autism and she has tons of ideas that you can download from the Teacher's Pay Teacher Site for ideas too. You will require a lot of visual barriers in this type of classroom to help your students.

I pray that these suggestions have been somewhat a little bit of help. I worked with students with autism for almost seven years and loved it. I work currently with students with multiple disabilities and it's really difficult to find activities that work with the level of my students.

Aspieteacher

4. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

@aspieteacher, I was going to recommend The Autism Helper as well! I've been teaching life skills for two years and I felt like I was doing well until I saw Sasha's room. She's amazing and she's helped me so much. Make sure to check out her Fluency Station and her Teachers Pay Teachers Store. Another good site is The Autism Tank, elementary special ed with some good resources.

If you have access to it, the NEW2YOU program is great for life skills, its a newspaper made with pictures symbols and it's all relative and differentiated. Also if you have Boardmaker, search Boardmaker Share, it has lots of pre-made Boardmaker lessons so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Chances are your students will benefit from some type of visual, individual schedule, make sure each student has one and they are taught how to use it. Students with Autism thrive on structure and routine so teaching them how to use a schedule is a great way to teach them how to be independent while maintaining the structure they need. They can also "graduate" to a more "typical" looking schedule as time progresses. Sensory integration will also be key. Once you get to know your students, try to incorporate an appropriate sensory diet. If you're unfamiliar with sensory strategies, speak to your OT, they should be able to guide you in the right direction! I also worked with PT to implement an adapted yoga program that was VERY successful with my Mod students so that may be something to think about.
    If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck!

5. Luvmykiddos1

Luvmykiddos1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

thank you both very much! These are very helpful sites.