NEW KINDERGARTEN TEACHER

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bolivar09, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Hello Guys

I just got hired as a kindergarten teacher at a charter school in Miami Florida. I'm super excited but also extremely nervous. Class start in a week and I have no idea what to do the first day. I have a million and one questions and I'm wondering if this great site will help me. I need help establishing a schedule from 8- 3pm . I would also appreciate if someone shared their lesson plans so I could see how the routine works and what to do the first week of school. I'm so nervous and i can't stop thinking about it. i would also appreciate any other helpful suggestions. I'm sorry if i seem lost but i need all the help i could get in the beginning because the school that i'm working for is known to be super unorganized and i hate it. This is my first year teaching and i want to be the best as possible
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    OTHER DOUBTS
    HOW DO I TEACH THE LETTER AND SOUNDS
    WHAT SUBJECT DO I TEACH EACH DAY?
    WHAT SONGS SHOULD I USE?
    WHAT DO I NEED FOR MY CLASSROOM

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND REPONSES!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):)

3. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

OMG ... you only have a week to prepare :eek: I would be freaking out too! I'm a first year K teacher too ... and I'm not going to lie ... it's very overwhelming. If you have time ... go through the posts here as FAR BACK as you can go ... b/c we've talked about first day lesson plans, first week lesson plans, procedures, curriculum etc. If I think of more specifics ... I will come back and post ... I just wanted to wish you goodluck!

4. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Thanks!

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

They should have given you some kind of idea about what to do by now! Didn't they give you an outline of what to do with your class?
    Well! You have hit GOLD with this SITE! :)

FIRST OF ALL...
    Calm down! You need to be calm or you will make it worse than what it is. (You will be in my prayers.) You will be fine. Worrying about it now will only make things worse.
    YOU CAN DO IT! THINK POSITIVELY!:cool:

With the children...:)
    -Don't let them see you sweat!
    -Put your foot down the first day!
    -Present your CLASS RULES. The rules of RULES is make them the same number as their AGES. Anything more is too much info! You will need 5 of them. Present them in a POSITIVE WAY. e.g. "Walk inside the classroom!"... NOT.."Do not run inside the classroom!" "Keep your hands to yourself!"... NOT..."Do not hit anyone!"
    -Do not play FAVORITES! Treat the children all the same.
    -Be loving, kind and genuine! They can sense what you're about right away.
    -Get down to their eye level while talking to/or with them.

I have to get going to church BUT I'll post more later.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

7. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions! I really appreciate them. I really need help with a schedule and lesson plans for the first week. Do you have your lesson plans for the first week so i could look at them. I'll email you my email address to see if you could help me with this.

Thanks

Dayana

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

For your schedule, there have been a lot of past threads about that. You can search for them at the top of the page. I wasn't sure if you are half day or full day K, but here are a few of the best threads for schedules I found:
    Half day-
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=11797
    Full day-
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=90513

As far as lesson plans go, I don't have much advice. The first few days will be a lot of learning about rules and procedures. Give a tour of the school, read books and talk about them, let them explore with math manipulatives, have them write their names with paint or chalk (or whatever :)). Am I helping at all?

:)

9. teachwi

teachwi Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

For the first week I do a lot of rules and procedures..

I use Gimme 5.. These are the rules too. I have a pic of each posted on a rule sheet ( got the pics off clipart.
    When I say Gimme 5, they stop and put their hand up and listen
    1. Walking Feet
    2. Mouths Quiet
    3. Eyes Watching
    4. Ears Listening
    5. Helping Hands
    The first day, I read The Kissing Hand and do activities with that. You can find a lot online. Throughout the first week, we create an "I Am Special Book" One page per day i.e.
    Page 1- this is me (They draw a pic of them self)
    Page 2- This is my family (draw a pic of family)
    Page 3- My favorite food

You can choose your own topics. At the end of the week, I staple the book together and send home

I also decorate a bag (or by a cute gift bag) In it I put misc. school supplies (pencil, crayon, marker, staple, paper clip)
    Throughout the first few days I pull them out one a time, we talk about what they are, where they belong, how to use them (ie.. if they would find something on the floor, just being a good helper and putting it away by themselves without having to tell the teachers all the time or the questions what is this and where does it go?
    For markers to make sure the cap gets on I tell them to listen and make the marker "talk" When they hear the click, the marker is saying thank you:)

I hope this helps:) Best of luck, you will do great.. I was in your shoes last year.. one day at a time:)

10. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

WOW! Great idea I love the activity. Thanks for the suggestion. Let me if you think of anything else. I was wondering if you could break down what you plan to do the first week for me........Sort like a first week schedule.

Thanks

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 16, 2009

Have you found out what your lunch and special area times are yet? Even though the school is disorganized, there has to be someone who is "leader" and knows what's going on. If there is another Kdg teacher there with you, get with her and pick her brain about the logistics of the school year.

If you can, have your reading and center times in the morning. Most kids are at their prime in the morning. Science can be a great subject to do in the afternoon, because a lot of it is hands on.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

What terrific news! Congratulations!

13. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Thanks !

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

Hi Bolivar09,
    Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry it took a while to get back here.
    Here's what my everyday schedule looks like for my Pre-K class...
    My arrival time @ work is 7:30!:D
    -7:30-8:00....Morning Circle
    -We do the Flag; (POA), Calendar; Today is____________. Yesterday was_______. Tomorrow will be_______________.
    We actually write out the date and some of my children leave my class, knowing how to write the date. I hate to see children's work so home without dates on them. It helps the parents keep track of how old their child was when certain work/development happened.:)
    We sing the days of the week song with the help of my good ole guitar. We go over the Class Rules, do fingerplays, or puppet shows, & read the book of the week. I present any paperwork for the Sound/Letter, Number, Shape, color, and the Theme of the week.
    -8:00-9:45...The children can be at the different Centers; where there are limited numbers at each center. They use their velcro names to hold a spot @ a Center. Meanwhile, I work with 3-4 students on their worksheets. The Center times are 10 minutes. They are warned when it's about time to rotate and they do when that time comes around. I need to get a timer, like YESTERDAY.:D
    -My Centers are Dramatic Play, Construction, Manipulatives, Library, Science, Music, Art, Math & Language.
    - 9:45-10:30...Clean up and morning Snack time.
    -10:30-11:00...Back to the Centers and finishing our paperwork.
    Anything that is not completed can be done in the afternoon.
    -11:00-11:45...Clean up and Outside Play
    -11:45-12:30...Back in, Wash hands, and Lunch Time.
    -12:30-2:30... Naptime
    - 2:30-3:30...Table top folder games or anything they want to bring to the tables from the Centers. I sometimes ask them to bring a book to the tables and find the letter/sound of the week. I love it because they would yell out, "Teacher! Here's a letter b!"I make it exciting by moving their STARS on our STAR CHART, when they find the letter. The STAR CHART is POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT CHART, or better known to some of us as the BRIBERY:lol:chart. When a student's STAR gets to the end, he/she will pick a SURPRISE from my STAR BOX. I have all kinds of stuff in there that some of the parents donate; pencils, little happy meal toys, etc. (ONE KID'S JUNK, ANOTHER KID'S TREASURE!)Anyway, BTTS...BACK TO THE SUBJECT! (Sorry! Went off on a tangent there.:D)
    - 3:30-4:00...Afternoon Snacks
    - 4:00-5:15...Music, Center Time, Afternoon Circle & finish up any worksheets.
    -5:15-5:50...Outside Play...
    -5:50-6:15...Return inside, Wash hands, maybe a little snack, Group Activities; Bingo, Doggie, Doggie, Where's your bone?,etc.
    6:15-6:30...Calm music and relaxing time while waiting for Parents. The school closes at 6:30.
    We sometimes run behind on our schedule, so I mix it up a bit and go with what the children are interested in with the understanding that they still have to complete what is on our schedule. They know the routine and it's best to stick with it SO there is order in your class. Children can sense when you do not have it together and they will test you!
    -Last but not the least, NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT!
    Good luck and ALWAYS REMEMBER to MAKE IT FUN, not only for the children BUT FOR YOUR OWN SAKE!

I hope this can be of any help for you, with your new calling.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

15. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

Hey Bolivar09!
    First of all, congrats for your job. I am not in same boat. But I can suggest you with common things-
    •Meet other teachers at kindergarten level to manage programs offered in each classroom.
    •Researching various teaching methods, information about students with special needs, and keeping abreast of teaching methodologies.
    • Motivate students to learn and to enjoy the school experience.
    •Developing daily lesson plans and objectives and teaching students based on those lesson objectives.
    •Meeting with parents to discuss student progress as required. :thumb:

16. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

Hello rebel1

Thanks for the detail schedule it was very helpful. I really appreciate you taking your time to help me out. I was wondering if you could let me your lesson plans for the first so i could have a idea if what is done the first week of school..........

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

OH love this idea. I always do the kissing hand but I'm going to try too.

THanks.

18. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Aug 17, 2009

The first week of school is a lot of getting to know the classroom, school, and you getting to know the kids. You will be amazed with how much time and detail you need to put into establishing the rules and routines. The first week I will read the Kissing Hand, also. I also read Mrs. Malarky doesn't sleep in room 12, and activities to go with that story. I will read Mary Wore her Red Dress, along with an activity. I am going to have the kids write their names on hearts that will go onto paper people, and then glued to a clothespin. Then we will put a magnet on the back for their artwork to hang on their fridges. Don't forget to go over y our classroom library, and how they need to keep it organized. Sorry, I'm rambling, this is just what I have off the top of my head.

19. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

Starting the first day, you want to get a feel for your kids: where are they academically, socially, etc. I like to use an activity called Grandma's Buttons. I have a big jar full of old buttons (but you can get mixes of buttons at fabric stores or even Walmart for cheap--be sure you have a great variety of sizes, shapes, styles, etc.). I put the kids in pairs or groups of three, and give each group a pile of buttons. Then I ask the kids to sort them into two piles, and the groups share how they did it. Then they re-sort into 3 piles (can subdivide or start over completely), then 4, etc. It's fun, it's a good reasoning activity, it shows me how the kids work together--who the leaders are, who's too quiet, etc., it gives me insight into how they think (pretty basic, like sorting by shapes, or more creative ideas)...Take some notes while you wander through the class to share later with parents at conferences if applicable.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2009

I LIKE IT foxteach!

21. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

Bolivar09, have you looked up your district's curriculum maps? I'm a first year teacher at a charter school too. School starts next week. Looking up the curriculum maps helped me get an idea of what to teach in the first few weeks, though I plan to use a lot of time the first two weeks going over procedures. Luckily I have support from other staff, we have two kindergarten teachers and the first grade teacher across the hall used to teach kindergarten. I'm still working on lessons too because up to this point most of my time has been spent on setting up my room.
    If there are no other kindergarten teachers at your school you may want to talk to the other teachers and see if any of them have taught kinder in the past.
    Good luck!

22. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

I love this idea.

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I'm a new kindergarten teacher and I just found out today. School starts in two weeks.

24. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

25. orangebear

orangebear New Member

Aug 22, 2010

Hey Rebel,

What songs did you play on guitar? I play too but not sure where to go about learning children's songs. =]

I'm a new kinder teacher too but school starts in less than a week... I just got hired @_@

26. UNCKinder

UNCKinder Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Here is my schedule. It will not go quite like this at the beginning of the year. I will also be reading the kissing hand, doing some name activities, singing some songs, greetings and community building activities and A LOT of going over rules/routines/procedures. Tour the school. Meet the principal, etc. Model, have students model, and repeat! Don't stress. Take it day by day if you have to. Read what you can on the internet. There are a lot of great blogs and web sites out there.

This is what i have been working on, subject to change, but this is basically it:

7:40- Arrive/Unpack/Morning Work
    8:10- Breakfast
    8:45- Morning Meeting (message, greeting, songs, counting)
    9:00- Literacy Block- Poem (10 min.)
    Phonics (20 min)
    Shared Reading (20 min)
    Writers’ Workshop/Readers’ Workshop (30 min)
    10:15- Resource
    10:50- Calendar
    11:00- Literacy Centers/Guided Reading
    11:30- Social Studies/Science/Theme
    11:55- Math
    12:25- PLC’s/remediation/enrichment
    12:50- Lunch
    1:20- Read Aloud
    1:30- Recess
    2:10- Rest
    2:35- Pack-up/Dismissal

Hope it helps!

27. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

Congrats! I remember having the same overwhelming feeling .... and I still do now.

1. If at all possible get a notebook and start writing down all of your ideas... this helped me a lot! I thought about things constantly... and still do... but as I was able to complete task I marked them off the list.

2. Use your own site resources... curriculum facilitator, co-teacher, other kindergarten and 1st grade teachers. Ask them questions, ask for samples, get to know them and spend lots of time with them.

3. Are they going to give you a mentor to help you out? Ask for one... my mentor is my first line of defense in clearing out any questions/concerns that I have.

4. Visit or youtube Dr. Jean... she has great songs and I love her.
    5. See if you can find a discount or used book store and begin to buy cheap books... nothing like building up your own library.

6. As far as schedule goes I was told to make sure that I have reading, writing, language and math incorporated and blocked off on my schedule.

without times this is how my schedule looks.

1. arrival, morning procedure, morning work
    2. breakfast, bathroom
    3. Morning Meeting, SSR (self sustained reading for 30mins)
    4. AM work cycle which will have reading, writing, language incoporated into the cycle in small groups
    5. lunch
    6. bathroom, group meeting
    7. recess
    8. bathroom, water
    9. prek rest Kindergarten quiet work cycle, lessons, small group
    10. snack, PM work cycle, large group, small group and this is when i do my math, science, cultural lessons
    11. prepare for dismissal. bathroom, packup, reflection, sharing time.

Hope that helps! Remember take deep breaths and so far this is my 1st year Moto that I have been going by.

You are going to seem overwhelmed and recieve tons of information... if you can use the information great... if not.. dont stress yourself trying to remember it. No question is dump ask away... and most importantly be a sponge soak up all the information you can, get a binder and put all the tons of papers that you will get inside the binder to keep up with it!

28. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

Sorry Orangebear,:D
    I just now checked, and saw your message. I play a lot of the Rhymes; Old School ones; "Old Mickey D", "Twinkle little Star", "Jack & Jill", etc., and what ever songs the children want. I also make up my own songs that I teach the kids. One song that the children love is "The World Is a Rainbow". (Not mine) My last class sang it to death. The class that I have now is still working on listening and following directions. I have to come up with something new in order to get their attention AND KEEP IT. I started doing a chant that I made up and it will take a while for this group to grasp it, use it, and really get it. I am thinking of giving them something to hold and squeeze during Circle time, but I know one of them will throw it at someone else. One will copy him/her, and there goes my circle time.:whistle
    Rebel1

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 23, 2010

To the OP:

Welcome to AtoZ. I don't have much to add in the way of advise, as I'm a middle school teacher, but I did want to say welcome.

Oh, and I taught in Miami-Dade Schools for many years. It's funny, how when I was there, there weren't very many members here from my hometown, and now that I've moved away, there's a TON of new members from there!