New Kindergarten Teacher

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bunnie, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 13, 2009

I want to introduce myself as I'm new to the boards.:)

I was told I'm going to be teaching Kindergarten next year and I dont have any experience with that age other than subbing a few times.

Any reccomendations/advice?

I'm trying to see what I can put together over the summer to better prepare myself.

3. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

Welcome...I've been away myself for two years, so I'm sorta new to it too. Go in with an open mind and a boat load of patience. You'll get a lot of rewards from it. Remember that you are the first experience that most of your children will have with "school". Make it as fun and positive as you can. Network with other teachers at your school, in your district, and here on this board. Ask questions! And most important...have FUN!

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 13, 2009

Thanks. I'm just thinking in my head already what I'm going to do the first few days. Its such a big difference of what to do since im coming from 2nd/3rd grade. I want to try and get myself organized as early as possible.

I definitely need some book recommendations for read alouds.

5. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 13, 2009

I would say that you need a lot of patience and a load of creativity in your lesson plans. You might find some book recommendations under the "lessons" tab of this forum. Congrats on the job.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2009

WELCOME!:)
    My first one, "Don't let them see you SWEAT!";)
    ALSO...
    -You need to stay "TWO STEPS" ahead of them.
    -Show up EVERYDAY prepared OR they will run you ragged.:D
    -Be prepared to tie a lot of shoes.
    -Have fun, be fair, relax, be cool and enjoy school.
    -GET DOWN to their eye level, and give a lot of hugs.:hugs:
    -Last, but not the least, think like them!
    ..."WWKD?...What Would Kindergartners Do?":help:
    Good luck,
    Rebel1:D

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 14, 2009

:welcome: You've already received some great advice, AtoZ is the BEST! I created a page on my website for teachers who are new to kindergarten, there you can find advice on how and what to prepare for your new adventure.

8. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Kevin Knows the Rules by Molly Dowd

The first few days are mostly about going over rules and procedures...same as your experience in third grade, except keep in mind that some of these little guys have not had much experience in school at all, and preschool rules are usually much more lax than kindergarten. I use the book "kevin knows the rules" by molly dowd. This book is a read aloud for introducing rules and it also comes with a poster so you can display and go over rules each morning. This has really made a difference in my class.
    Once your rules are in place, and your procedures are up and running, it fun and amazing how much they learn!!:rolleyes:

9. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I take the first week or so, and just go through basics with them. How to walk in the halls, how to use the bathroom, where things are located in our room, and how they need to be used.

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

Also-read all of these Kindergarten posts-After all these years, I am still finding new and fun things to do on here. Google 'Kindergarten classrooms" for ideas and always remember the power of Dr. Jean(great CD's and website).

11. maestra121

maestra121 Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

Congrats on your new position, you're going to have lots of fun. I subbed many years and currently searching for a K position myself, let me know how the year goes for you once you start :)

12. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I'm a new kindergarten teacher too and I just wanted to say this sight is amazing! I'll be working at a charter school where many of the teachers are new teachers so I am not sure if I'll have a mentor teacher. Your sight answers many of the questions I would have asked a mentor teacher and introduced some things I hadn't thought of.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 24, 2009

THANKS! I'm was an aide in 1st grade for 3 years and 45 min a day in Kinder for 1/2 a year. That's my experience. This year will be my first year teaching and I will be teaching Kinder. I'm thrilled. I'm looking for ideas too on how to get started.