New Kindergarten Teacher - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissLB, Jul 22, 2010.

1. MissLB

MissLB New Member

Jul 22, 2010

Hello everyone,

I had been supply teaching since November last year, and have just recently been hired on as a Kindergarten LTO teacher for 7 months starting in September. I am so very excited, but also overwhelmed! As this is both my first classroom AND having only supplied in "K" a handful of times, I would be thrilled to get any suggestions/advice that have proven especially successful/useful in your classrooms.

I'm so happy to have come across this forum. I've already read through many previous posts and discovered some wonderful ideas for my classroom this September.

Thank you in advance - and enjoy the rest of your summer!

Cheers!

3. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Take time to have all your routines figured out before school starts. Even little ones like how to line up, how to share supplies, etc. Handeling transitions is also important. Plan to practice these a lot at the beginning of the year. Ask your fellow k teachers for help on what routines you have at your school. Students of this age thrive off of consistency so model, practice, and stick to your expectations. Keep lessons short with lots of movement at the beginning of the year. Good luck!

4. MissLB

MissLB New Member

Jul 26, 2010

Thank you MrsM7 for the great advice! I really appreciate it. All the best! :)

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

teach everything. How we line, how we sit at the carpet (and the table), how we go to the bathroom, wash our hands, how and where we put backpacks, folders, etc. They know nothing about being in school (at least mine don't - almost none of mine go to prek). I like how someone here said......put your cookies on the lowest shelf.....meaning make everything accessible to them via you teaching. You must teach everything you want them to be able to do. Kinders are great learners and love to "do school right". As long as you teach it well they learn it well and it will be GREAT!

How will supplies be handled?? How will you walk to the cafeteria, P.E.? How will they go home, etc.?????

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2010

routines, routines, routines! I have found that the more I model each and every expectation and schedule at the beginning of the year, the better the rest of the year goes. If a K student knows inside and out what is expected, the more calm and orderly their day goes. Have fun!!! I love this age group, it is SO rewarding! Good Luck!

7. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Cover the centers that are NOT to be used. In other words if we are showing them how to do something, and making it accessible to them, make it is a bit more handier by the whole "out of sight, out of mind" theory. I always have to remember they don't always know boundaries.

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Today I went to the mini workshop style meeting for new hires at my school. There were several things that I heard that really stuck in my mind.

Teach the children like you are "teaching yourself out of a job." Basically meaning teach them everything so they will be self-sufficent and won't need much assistance from the teacher. That way we can truly serve as a guide. (if they spill something be able to clean it up, if they want to hang there work up, know where the tape is so they can do it. etc)

One of the veteran teachers even said teach them how to use the bathroom. Theres a difference between using the bathroom at home and at school. I got to go in to my classroom and there was a drawing of step by step on how to use the bathroom.

2. Teach them how to wash their hands
    3. How to cough into their arm, blowing nose
    4. Have a procedure if they need your help with something.
    (1 of the teachers had an awesome idea and I'm going to use it. Ask 3 before me. Meaning ask 3 friends and if they don't have the answer then ask the teacher.)
    5. I have seen this on several threads as well... is to overplan because you never know what will happen. and in the same breath be able to be flexible and completely disregard your plans if the children are having a tough day and you find that you need to spend more time on routines, procedures rules, etc.
    6. I know at the beginning of the school year I'm going to gradually add more and more work to the shelves as I introduce/model them so they will know the appropriate uses of the materials and it has more meaning to them.
    7. Be ready to repeat repeat repeat and model model model your rules and expectations.

I tend to be long winded so I hope that was helpful. ( A to Z has tons of awesome info)