New K teacher very discouraged

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by ecetwo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ecetwo

ecetwo New Member

Dec 7, 2007

I am a first year K teacher and I'm confused. My kids have been great until now. Within the past 3 weeks I've gotten 5 new kids. This week my class has been awful. I'm not sure if it's because of the holiday coming up or the new kids. I was told to try "The Elf on the Shelf". That made things worse. Why have my kids become so poorly behaved? I feel like it might be my fault but if so I don't know why or what to do to get them back. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 7, 2007

It sounds like a double whammy, new kids and holidays! Mine are the same way. Even the good kids are having to pull cards for breaking rules. I am planning a fun art/craft activity for each day after lunch. I just tell them that if they don't follow the rules they won't get to participate.

4. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Dec 7, 2007

ecsmom---what kind of process do you have for pulling cards.
    Is that something you use for discipline....I have not heard of this so I am just wondering.

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 7, 2007

I have pockets ( library book type with adhesive backs, a small pocket chart would work) on the wall for each student. They have 3 cards, red, yellow and green. Everyone starts on green each day. The first time they break a rule, I give them a warning. The next time they break a rule they have to put the yellow card in front and lose 5 mins of recess. The second time they move to red and lose 10 mins of recess. If they continue to break rules past red, I send a discipline form to the office and to the parents. At this point they would be spending recess in the ISS room.

If you are not allowed to take recess you can use another appropriate consequence such as time out in the room, being sent to another classroom, whatever is acceptable at your school. Good Luck.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 7, 2007

What is "The Elf on the Shelf"? I have only heard of the game. Elf Elf there is an Elf on the Shelf. and than a kid masks his voice and says "it is I".

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2007

The elf just sits there and watches them to see if they are being good, and then reports to Santa! :)

8. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Dec 8, 2007

It's not you. New kids throw off the balance of the room and their is a period where they are adjusting and so are the other kids. Not to mention they are so wound up about the holidays. They will be better by mid January. Just hang in there.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 9, 2007

I've also noticed a difference in the conduct of my kids and I haven't even gotten any new students - although I do blame the weather for some of it because it's been 90 degrees one day and 50 the next and back to 90 a few days later.

I had a meeting with my kids the other day and just said what else can we do? I change their colors, I talk to parents, they all know how important it is to be respectful. And one of the kids told me I should take a vacation! That's one solution I guess.

Seriously - it's not you-it's them. I agree with hang in there and hopefully after the break they will come back bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and ready to learn again.

10. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Dec 15, 2007

KinderCowgirl- I'm in Texas too and this weather is killing my kiddoes too. Indoor recess is so tough. We don't have a gymnasium, so when the weather is icky, we don't get outside time at all. They go nuts inside all day!

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Dec 16, 2007

My kids have had a very difficult time too. I know it's the holidays! I did however send a note home to all the parents to remind the kids about showing respect even at a time like this. It seemed to help, but whose to say what will happen this week.

12. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Dec 16, 2007

All I can say is "ditto". My kids have been unusually difficult also. I know it is the holidays but it is so frustrating, and we are having our holiday show and party this week so I can only imagine their behavior. :eek: