New K teacher here...help!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by sofiluv, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Hello everyone, I was just offered a job to teache Kindergarten at a charter school and was wondering about a few things, maybe someone could help:

I will be sharing a classroom with a teacher that has been at the school for some tine now, as a new teacher, I am a little scared and would like your opinions, do you think I should contact the teacher and ask about the classroom/routines/planning? WHen should I do this, this is afterall, her vacation time...

Is it customary for kinder teachers that share a room to teach pretty much the same thing to both classes, plan together and such, or have any of you heard or done otherwise?

Thanks in advance for your responses...:thanks:

3. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

Hi there! I'm a Kindergarten teacher at a Charter school too - this will be my second year. Are you sharing the actual space in the classroom? Is it a full or 1/2 day program?

I would definitely contact the other teacher. This will help you get a feel for what type of person she/he may be. Last year I worked next to a Kinder teacher who was in her 60's, National Board Certified, had been teaching longer than I've been alive pretty much, and was VERY set in her ways. We are very different people and have very different teaching styles. I learned a tremendous amount from her (she was also my son's teacher) but I still kept to my teaching style because it's what made me comfortable. For example, she doesn't believe in curriculums because she says that they are only for making publishing companies rich and that they are all poop anyway. Well, as a first year teacher last year I needed that poop :D, with her extensive background she was able to pull from her experience and teach off the top of her head. I, however, needed a bit more assistance.

All in all, I'd definitely contact her, find out what she's like and how she runs her classroom. You may find that you want to mimic her this year and use it as a learning experience then adjust yourself next year to watch works better for you.

Good luck and if you need anything, just holler!

Kimberly

4. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

Thanks Kimberly, I will definitely send her an email, I was thinking along the same line of trying to follow in her ways first then developing my own "style" as we go, I have so many ideas that I would like to try...

BTW, It's a 1/2 day program and we will be sharing the room. I don't know if I should be buying anything for the room, or if she already has things to use, I guess I'll get an answer when I talk to her...

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2006

Will you be teaching 1/2 the day and her the other half or will you have 2 separate classes in the room at the same time?

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2006

It's wise to contact her and get to know her. If you share a classroom, you'll have to establish a working relationship before school begins. Planning together is one thing but sharing a room is a whole new ballgame.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 9, 2006

I'd say, YES, call or email your partner just to get a "heads up." I would worry if a new partner DIDN'T try to contact me. There is so much to talk about, and she may be totally willing to meet with you a couple of times before you're due at school. That would be great!

My partner and I do plan together on a weekly and sometimes daily basis; and last year being my first year, I definitely followed his lead for scheduling and for the "how to" in introducing new things to students. Usually he got through everything in the daily plan, but I, being new and more worried about being thorough, was usually a step behind. I really stressed about that a lot, but I have learned that's okay, and it helped me develop my style and preferences better, rather than just doing whatever he did. By the end of the year, while we were on the same page, I was emphasizing things in my strength areas, and knew how to get through a day without stress. That was huge for me!

It would be good to discuss things like who will do what decorating--I ended up being the one who cared about it, but it can be burdensome alone. It might be nice to "trade off," and maybe I'll suggest that this year! Definitely "lean on" your partner as needed--he/she will be flattered and more apt to help you out, although you don't want to be phony about it. I told my partner to "knock me in the head" if he saw me going over the edge...or if I was completely overlooking something I needed to do. I had too many schedules, observations, induction issues going to be 100% independent. Besides, you will really learn a lot about what you like and don't like by observing someone else on a daily basis! Plan to be flexible and compromising, especially in the little things. My partner was so helpful and never rolled his eyes at my questions!!

Sorry for the book I wrote here...I got carried away.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, sofiluv! Congratulations on your job.

9. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Thanks all for your advice and encouragement. I will email the my new partner :) tomorrow and will let you know of the response I get...srh, I appreciate you "writing your book", it's the little things that really help sometimes!... Thanks all, keep the advice coming!