New k teacher afford all the stuff?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Aug 24, 2005.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Aug 24, 2005

I decided to go back for one more yr in va but not sign contract next yr. Hopefully I will be able to get teaching job in nh next yr. This is my first year having my own k classroom. I'm excited but nervous. My biggest concern is the money I spent every week for my classroom. Last yr there was always something I was running out to get. Special snacks, supplies, stickers, charts etc. Here is my question I don't tend to have many of the supplies I need because I'm new. I would love to get copies of Dr.Jean's stuff but can't afford to buy it. Our school district did give us 100 dollars for supplies but we have to order our own paper, crayons, bulletion board stuff etc. I would like to run centers but I don't have all the stuff to set them up with. Plus I wanted to get something for the childrens birthdays and such. Any ideas on how and where I can get this stuff cheap? Especially the music?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 24, 2005

Have a donation list that you send to parents. Things you would like for the classroom but they can decide if they want to buy or not buy.
    A lot of places will donate paper, pencils, crayons. You just have to find the right place. Don't be afriad to ask. As for Dr. Jeans. Maybe on ebay?

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 24, 2005

check out the second hand stores, (good will, salvation army, 1/2 price books stores, Ebay etc..) The dollar store is a great place for some of the extra things like birthday surprizes, and I think some of them even have teacher things like cetificates and some bb stuff. If you are willing to take the time, I know that now at the craft store they sell felt that has a sticky back to it, you can cut out sun shines or rainbows or frogs or what ever your theam is. There are a few different threads already that have good suggestions on them. There are some good sugestions on centers too.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2005

Ask for donations from local stores, too, especially if you work in a poverty level school. You'd be surprised what you can get. Like for birthday gifts for kids and things...ask at McDonald's for donations of unused Happy Meals toys. Ask a Chick Fil A for certificates to hand out good for free kids meals. Ask Office Depot for stickers, fancy pens and notepads. I've had to show my union card or a pay stub to prove I was really an employee, but I've never been told no...I've not always gotten the amount of things I asked for, but I always come away with something. Ask a grocery store for snacks (I just asked yesterday and got a $20 gift card to use to purchase special snacks!). If a store donates something, make sure you send them a thank you note, and also write about it in your newsletter to your parents, so that they know about it, too.

Also, utilize your local dollar store. Sometimes they have GREAT deals.
    Kim

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 24, 2005

here is a website to get ideas on centers
    http://www.kindernetonline.com/misc.html
    also there is a teacher on this forum that has a very good one its mspowel, but i don't remember if it is .com or what.