New job!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Outdoorz, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

I was just offered my first teaching job!!! I am so excited. I will be teaching 5th grade this fall. Any and all advice is welcome!!! What is an absolute must for your classroom?

3. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Apr 25, 2014

Congratulations!!!

4. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to drop in and say Congrats!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2014

Congratulations!

Unlike lower grades, fifth doesn't have as many 'must have' items. Mostly things for your own personal preference. I'd start hitting garage sales looking for cheap chapter books!

6. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Apr 26, 2014

So, for those of you who teach upper elementary grades. What do you like in your classroom? I am thinking writing folders (either file folders or 1/2" 3-ring binders) for each of my students, a variety of chapter books, math manipulatives, science materials...

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2014

Congratulations! :)

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 27, 2014

Congratulations!

It takes a strong person to do 5th grade! (But I teach 3rd so that's just another world to me.)

I agree with the other posters....get your library started and check into setting up a Scholastic account. You'll definitely enjoy the perks if you decide to place your own order to get started.

Happy planning!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

Congrats!!!

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

5th graders start out the year as elementary students, but in a very real way, they end the year as middle schools. The shift from beginning to end isn't QUITE as drastic with 5th graders as 6th graders, but it's still very real. 5th graders will try to find every possible loophole, to test every boundary, and to get on your very last nerve. But it's still a great age, because there's still a lot of "little kid" in them, but they can work independently and dig deeper into concepts. 5th grade is very much a year that requires being firm-but-fair.

11. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

May 1, 2014

Thanks all for the congrats and the advice. I did my student teaching in 5th grade so I understand a little about their personalities. I hope I can rise to the challenge.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 2, 2014

I taught 5th grade for years and loved it! You will have so much fun. One second they act grown-up and the next they are giggling like little kids. That was one thing I loved about the age. They are ready to be more independent and take on bigger challenges, but they still are kids who like stickers and stars.

My advice:
    1) gr3teacher is right in that this group starts out the year as elementary and grow into middle schoolers. Try to give as many choices over small stuff as you can. These kids like to feel some sense of control over their learning and behavior. Just make sure the choices are always ones you can live with. I had my class vote on which book I should read aloud next, let them give me input about who they think they could sit near without problems, etc.

2) They love to help. Put them to work. Come up with classroom jobs and rotate them weekly or daily. This makes them feel important parts of a system and teaches responsibility to people other than themselves. That said, figure out your expectations and classroom management before you see their faces. As someone pointed out, they will test you. You will need to be firm (but kind) and some will require you have your thumbs firmly planted on them.

3) I liked group learning and projects over silent individual work. These kiddos have tons of energy and most are very social. Let them collaborate, discuss, share, debate. You will be surprised some of the great class discussions that come from the mouths of these babes.

One of my favorite books ever is Teaching with Love&Logic by Jim Fay. Get yourself a copy and study it this summer. I stumbled across this book late in my first year of teaching. It helped me survive that year and set me up for success in the future.

Have fun! If you ever have questions or need ideas for class, please let me know. I'd be happy to share what I know.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 2, 2014

I taught 5th grade for years and loved it! You will have so much fun. One second they act grown-up and the next they are giggling like little kids. That was one thing I loved about the age. They are ready to be more independent and take on bigger challenges, but they still are kids who like stickers and stars.

My advice:
    1) gr3teacher is right in that this group starts out the year as elementary and grow into middle schoolers. Try to give as many choices over small stuff as you can. These kids like to feel some sense of control over their learning and behavior. Just make sure the choices are always ones you can live with. I had my class vote on which book I should read aloud next, let them give me input about who they think they could sit near without problems, etc. That said, figure out your expectations and classroom discipline before you see their shining faces. As someone pointed out, these kiddos look for loopholes and will test you. You will need to be firm (but kind) and consistent. Certain ones will drive crazy testing everything. If you don't keep your thumbs on them constantly they can be a handful.

2) They love to help. Put them to work. Come up with classroom jobs and rotate them weekly or daily. This makes them feel important parts of a system and teaches responsibility to people other than themselves.

3) I liked group learning and projects over silent individual work. These kiddos have tons of energy and most are very social. Let them collaborate, discuss, share, debate. You will be surprised some of the great class discussions that come from the mouths of these babes.

One of my favorite books ever is Teaching with Love&Logic by Jim Fay. Get yourself a copy and study it this summer. I stumbled across this book late in my first year of teaching. It helped me survive that year and set me up for success in the future.

Have fun! If you ever have questions or need ideas for class, please let me know. I'd be happy to share what I know.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2014

Loving the replies here!

Outdoorz - I'm a new fifth grade teacher, too! I'm in my second year teaching first grade. I am so excited but also nervous! I know fifth is going to be a whole different world from first, and it's been awhile since I was in upper elementary!

Congratulations! :)

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 3, 2014

A good classroom library with a varied range of book levels and genres. It will take some time to build, I'd start now at garage sales and library sales.

16. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

May 14, 2014

Thank you all so much. I have a copy of Parenting with Love and Logic. Is this similar to Teaching with Love and Logic. I also have The First Days of School by Harry Wong. I've heard it's really good, too.

17. live

live Companion

May 14, 2014

:agreed:

As a first-time 5th grade teacher, I am learning about this very transition. Right after spring break...it's like a whole new group of kids walked into my classroom. It's crazy; keeps me on my toes!

You'll have so much fun. Congrats!