New Job - Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by christine89, May 20, 2013.

1. christine89

christine89 Companion

May 20, 2013

Hi. So the world of special ed is new to me. I recently got a job as a special ed teacher in a new district. I will start my masters this summer and in the fall I will be basically interning under the other special ed teacher (also new to the district). My worry is that I won't know where to start at the beginning of the year and I don't want the other teacher to get swamped with work due to my inexperience.
    As I begin classes (haven't registered yet) any general recommendations on classes/topics to start with?
    Any good reads for someone new to the field?
    Resources/websites to share?
    I would just like to know what to expect starting out in special ed.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 20, 2013

What is the setting of your position?

4. christine89

christine89 Companion

May 20, 2013

In an elementary school. They have a nice resource room part of the school. There are 2 special ed teachers. One will be me and the other is more qualified but will also be new to the school.

5. bros

bros Phenom

May 21, 2013

If you are brand new to special education, go read the wrightslaw site. Order some of their books and DVDs if they interest you enough.

6. stepka

stepka Comrade

May 27, 2013

I'm in the same boat and I have ordered these 2 books: The IEP from A to Z: How to Create Meaningful and Measurable Goals and Objectives and The Special Educator's Toolkit: Everything You Need to Organize, Manage, and Monitor Your Classroom

I'll probably get them tomorrow so will have a better idea of whether they will work for me and I'll come back and let you know. I know my main concern is setting up the paperwork system as organization is not one of my strengths.

OTOH, I feel quite confident about the academics since I've been doing that for years anyway. I will be high school so the first week I plan to cover study skills and strategies and one great idea I got from http://www.resourceroom.net/ is to create a reference notebook which contains formula sheets, frequently misspelled words and anything else they seem to have trouble remembering. That's mainly a high school idea but I think it could be tailored to the littles as well. The website is great and has lots of really good ideas and I've been all over it. For the troubled readers I have planned many activities of reading for the main point and I have several math aids b/c I'm aware of many of the pitfalls of math for gen-ed and spec ed alike.

If I were you I'd talk to the teacher you'll be working with and find out what her strengths are so you two can do division of labor in a way that works for you. Hopefully one of you is good at paperwork lol.

bros, I loved wrightslaw when studying for my praxis and got 100% on that portion of the test b/c I spent so much time with it. Great website. :thumb: