New job! Now what?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsE, Jun 4, 2014.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Jun 4, 2014

To preface this, I just want to say that I'm a brand new high school teacher, just hired yesterday, so I am completely clueless about some particulars of the process. That said, I have a couple of questions:

1) The principal told me last week that he would contact me when he gets hire approval from the school board. The school board called me first, instead. Should I wait for the principal to make contact with me now, or should I call him to touch base? It's EOC time, so I was wondering whether I should let him contact me when he can.*

*Also, if the answer is "call him," should I call his cell number or should I call his office at the school?

2) When do high school teachers typically find out what subject levels they will be teaching in the fall? Is this something they know prior to summer break, or should I expect to be left hanging until the beginning of August when orientation and work days start up? As I'm a new teacher, I'd like to take as much time as possible to prepare. At the interview, I asked the principal about the subject level I would be teaching, and he told me that it depends on my preferences and strengths.

3) Since I was hired at the end of the 2013-2014 school year (but will not start until the fall), should I try to tour the school and meet the department during the last week of school (which begins on Monday), or is that something that usually happens during new teacher orientation organized by the principal and the district? Again, my concern is that it is EOC time, people are stressed and busy, and I don't want to be an inconvenience. Also, I feel a bit strange about meeting the person I will be replacing, as I don't know the circumstances behind this.

I realize that I was hired relatively early in comparison to many districts, so I'm not sure about the etiquette and such. I suppose I'm wondering whether I should anticipate a summer relatively free of contact with the school, followed by a busy August full of meeting people, planning, decorating, and then teaching.

Thanks so much! :hugs:

3. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 4, 2014

Congratulations!!!!!

First of all, are you talking about contacting the principal to "make it official" or to clarify questions about the position? In terms of signing a contract and filling out new hire paperwork, I doubt the principal would be the one you would need to talk to. Did the school board (or was it human resources?) say anything about that when they contacted you? If you do feel the need to call, I'd call the school. The secretary will be able to relay the message that you called if he is busy because of EOC testing.

When you find out what you're teaching is highly variable depending on the school. In my first school, they were notorius about giving people "preplanning surprises" which is just about as fun as you'd think... One teacher even found out the first day of preplanning that she actually had to work at a completely different SCHOOL for half the day! In my current (soon to be previous) school, they always tell the teachers before school gets out who is teaching what. This year, however, we have high turnover and they don't really know who all the new hires will be yet, so the schedule is a little more fluid. I would definitely ask the principal, or better yet your department head, if he has an idea what you might be teaching. I was recently hired in a new district and when I interviewed they had a vague idea of what I'd teach, but was told that a decision would be made by postplanning. I think that's pretty standard, at least around here.

In terms of meeting the department, I did that (kind of) with my new job. I went to go sign my district paperwork and stopped by the school on the way in to check out the lab situation and if I needed to order any supplies (I definitely arranged it first, didn't just drop in). It just so happened to be the last full day of school, but the department head didn't mind at all. If you really want to go in, I'd suggest just contacting the department head to ask if there would be some time (maybe even during postplanning--we had several new teachers do that at my school) to come see your room and get the lay of the land. He/she may even be able to give you a key to your room to work over the summer. I'm doing that very thing next week.

I feel ya on the not knowing the circumstances thing... I found out after I'd been hired that I'm actually replacing a teacher who is very ill with a brain tumor. I'm glad I didn't inadvertently say anything insensitive before I found out!

Again congrats, it's so exciting getting a new (especially FIRST) job! :)

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 4, 2014

Welcome to the forum and to the teaching world! There is a treasure trove of collaboration and commiseration to be had here.

If the school board has already voted and contacted you with their approval, there is nothing wrong with calling your new principal on his office phone to verify the news. I wouldn't call his cell phone unless he specifically offered it to you for questions. Those questions would involve everything else you've asked here.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2014

Congratulations! Your P is the best to ask all of these questions to!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 4, 2014

Congrats on the new job! It's not all unusual to not know exactly what you're teaching until late in the summer. Try to get the contact information of your department chair. He/she will be an invaluable resource for you and will most likely have a hand in those decisions.