New Job Ettiquette

Discussion in 'General Education' started by glitterfish, Jul 26, 2008.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

Hi all! I just got a new teaching job and I couldn't be more excited. However, I'm getting nervous because I don't know anything! All I know is the grade level and that's just about it.

I haven't seen my classroom. I don't know what the curriculum is. I don't anything about the schedule, available supplies/resources, class size, school policies, or programs. I know I will get filled in on some of this eventually. I've received a letter from the district concerning a week of new teacher orientation at the end of August. However, I still don't think that will fully answer my school questions and I want to start planning now! I'm the type that would spend my whole summer thinking about the next school year if I were given a chance. I'm beginning to panic because I feel like the week before school will arrive and I'll have so much to do and won't be prepared!

Is it appropriate to call/e-mail the principal and ask to meet with her or a secretary to be let into the building during the summer to pick up curriculum materials/take a peak at my classroom? Is this kind of thing even allowed? I don't want to intrude on her vacation time or sound too over-eager. What should I do?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 26, 2008

Will you sound over-eager? Yes.

Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not! :)

I know we can't get curriculum guides and things ahead of time, because they are still putting them together. But by all means, call the principal and find out what you can.

You may also want to ask if you could have the phone numbers or emails of the other 4th grade teachers. (You could find out from the principal if they would be receptive to a call from you or not. I know some teachers don't like to be bothered -- while others don't mind in the least!)

You could also ask if you have been assigned a mentor. (Again, name.. number.. email...)

The worst he can say is "we don't know yet, we don't have it, or no." No biggie.

Any principal is totally going to understand that you are anxious!

Good luck with your new job!

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

I agree. Call! The P will probably be happy that you are so interested in preparing ahead of time and will be glad to help you. I'd also start finding activities on the Internet and maybe order Mailbox Magazine. Congrats on your new job!!!

5. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 26, 2008

I was in your shoes last year at this time so I definitely understand where you are coming from! After I got hired, I actually got an email from another 4th grade teacher asking me if I had any questions. I learned much of my information through her with emailing back and forth.

Plus, I visited my classroom and hers often to get suggestions throughout the rest of the summer. She was a wonderful help and I honestly don't know what I would have done if it weren't for her!

Good Luck! 4th grade is a really fun age to have!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2008

I drove my P nuts last year from out-of-state even! (I relocated) I e-mailed all the time! (Actually, I STILL do this, LOL!) I think it shows you are committed to doing a good job! Trust me, Ps would rather you bug them about that stuff than show up the 1st day completely unprepared!

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2008

I think it is a smart idea- certainly. It would also show that you want to be as prepared as possible and the principal would probably appreciate your enthusiasm. You would definitely feel more at ease as well. :)

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

I agree. Call the P.

9. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I emailed the P and asked her the same thing. She said, "Absolutely, my secretary gets back on 07/31 and she can give you all the information and show you your classroom. I'll be back on the 24th but I will be attending meetings. Please feel free to come by anytime though."

So...call!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2008

I would be peeking through the windows at the building!!

I would call or email, also. Bet most admins will be back by next week.

Good luck!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I LOVE the fact that you want to find things out!! It really sets a good impression. I have one new teacher on my team that really doesn't care about much and it really worries me. Do you have a grade level lead? I have met with my new teachers throughout the summer and have also held an on-line discussion through http://www.tappedin.org to answer any questions, post comments, files, etc. Good luck with your new job-you'll do great.

12. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I think any principal who is understanding or has ever been a teacher would realize that it is important to want to see your room and get manuals. Congratulations and good luck on your first year!

13. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks everyone! You gave me the confidence I needed to send my hopefully-not-too-desperate-sounding e-mail to the principal just now.

I can't wait to hear back from her and get going! *fingers crossed*

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 27, 2008

That's a great step with emailing the principal. If for some reason you don't hear back from her/him, give a call later on in the week. Even if you just get to talk to the secretary, she/he might be able to give you some useful information as well. More than likely somebody there will be able to tell you who your supervisor will be.

When I got my 5th grade science position, I set two days up with my science supervisor and I was able to observe the teacher I'm replacing, I was given my curriculum for the first few months of the school year, and was introduced to all the science teachers and all of the 5th grade teachers.

Good luck!

15. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I'm glad you emailed your principal. Hope it went well. I am mentoring a brand new teacher this year. I met her on Thursday, and she's a great person, and just as excited as you are. Our P is letting us in our classrooms now to start setting up. Though we don't have the official curriculum documents for this year, I was able to show her last year's, and start some rough plans for the first week. We can flesh them out when we get the new guides. I think just getting the room set up can be a big load off your chest, so you can focus on curriculum once teachers reconvene.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

Hopefully you'll hear back in the next day or so. Good luck :)

17. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

hehehe.... I emailed the VP back in June, and got the teacher manuals then.... so I could work on stuff over the summer. :) If you are over-eager, what does that make me?

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

If he/she isn't there, you can still start preparing by downloading the standards and gathering ideas into notebooks.

Most teachers like to get their classrooms finished early so that they can plan during "pre=planning". I hope that will be an option for you. Many principals welcome teachers into the schools before then for that very reason.

19. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

So, the principal replied to my e-mail and I was actually able to go into the school today. It also sounds like I will have access to the building anytime this summer once I get my key and card from the district office. (Who knows how easy that will be to obtain?)

Also, the P said that the teacher who I am replacing wrote a grant last year for a document projector and the P is promising to keep it for me. She said a lot of teachers had asked her for it and she said it was for the new teacher. How nice! (We'll see if it's still there by late August.)

Anyway, now I just have a whole bunch of textbooks and curriculum to look over...getting stressed out. I think I need to contact the other teachers on my grade level team, but, again, I don't want to be annoying and bothersome. I think I need to formulate a list of questions I want to ask so that I'm prepared to meet with them. Any ideas? I kind of have lot of questions in my mind, but I don't know exactly what they are, if that makes sense. It's like I don't know where to start.

20. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Instead of calling, I'd suggest emailing the other teachers in your team. If they're open to talking about school during the summer, chances are they are checking their school email over the summer as well. If they don't want to chat, they can simply reply that they'll see you in August. At the very least they may be able to answer a few of your questions via email, if they don't have the time or inclination to meet over the summer.

21. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Glitterfish,
    I feel the same way you do. This is my first year teaching. I will be teaching First Grade. My P is not accustomed to email so she finally emailed me about a workshop that she wanted me to attend and then she gave me her home and cell number and told me to call. She also told me that I could go to my classroom anytime between certain hours because the janitors were there.

I agree with the other teachers, I feel a whole lot better now that I can get into my classroom and get that overwith. Then I can focus on the curriculum, especially since the district adopted a new reading program.

I met the other first grade teachers, but they were eager to get out of the workshops, so they said they would talk to me when get got back to school. So it just helps to ask.

22. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I think it's only polite that your team is receptive when you contact them. They really should have contacted you. What I don't understand is why people don't contact new teachers???? I made myself overly available, met with mine, made things available, etc., etc. :huh: