New job, but not a new teacher...question about curriculum

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by musicteach, Aug 5, 2009.

1. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I have taught K-6 music for 7 years, and will be starting a new job teaching K-2 music at 2 schools. The previous music teacher retired and left me a TON of resources including his USB flash drive and notebook of the curriculum w/ ALL his lesson plans from last year.
    It is apparent he wrote the schools' music curriculum, and it's very good-but very specific and different from what I've always done.

Do you think I will be expected to follow his curriculum/lesson plans or will there be room for changes? Since I've always done whatever I wanted (within reason of following state standards) I'm a little unsure of what to do and am full of self-doubt that MY lessons are inadequate.

Hopefully classroom teachers can help me out since you have to follow the same curriculum as others in your grade level.

3. fawyndra

fawyndra Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I have two main tips for you-

1. Talk to the administration. I personally am blessed with administration that loves it when I can extend and improve upon the curriculum given. Not knowing your administration, I cannot say for sure. So, more importantly than my first step is talk to them first.

2. Depending of course on what the administration says, I would try to blend your ideas with his. Go with the standards, and with your gut, and see what new things you can learn from all his resources (I think it is always good to see what you can learn from other teachers great ideas), but also stay true to yourself and what amazing plans you have come up with over the past 7 years.

To sum up... as long as administration at the schools is fine with it, try to blend together your lessons/experience with his. I am sure they are adequate :)