New job as an infant/toddler teacher!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by GothicGoverness, Nov 19, 2014.

1. GothicGoverness

GothicGoverness New Member

Nov 19, 2014

Hi Everyone!

As of last week, I accepted a full-time job as a preschool teacher. The job is affiliated with a hospital and I'll be working in a center for over 8 hours a day! I'm nervous but a bit scared. My background is working with school-age kids and this will also be my first time as a teacher. For the past couple of years, I just in a before/after school capacity.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm up for the challenge and can't wait to work with the 18/24 month kiddios. The director who interviewed me was impressed with me so much and expressed how she could see me working with this age group.

However...I still need to go in for a physical and I'm a bit nervous about that. Can anyone give me an ideal of how heavy a toddler is? I've done some research online but I'd like to hear from you too. This exam is going to be thorough and I just hope I can pass because there is a "lifting" portion of the physical.

Thanks!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 19, 2014

My almost two year old is 25 pounds.

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Nov 19, 2014

My kiddos are probably 25-30 pounds or so. You probably don't want to be (nor should you be) carrying them around all day, but lifting them occasionally for diaper changes, comfort, or redirection should not be a big deal.

Be warned that working with this age group is VERY different from working with school-aged kiddos. That's not to say many of your skills won't be applicable, but just be prepared for a major learning curve. I love this age group, though, and I'm sure you will as well.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 19, 2014

Are you taking care of infants and toddlers at the same time?? Infants are generally considered those under 12 months. Toddler pretty much means "walking," which tends to happen between 10-14 months, and applies to babies 12 months+. The threshold for where "toddler" ends and "child" begins is a bit more murky, some people say 4 others say 5.

I am a mommy to three boys, as my username does NOT suggest, LOL. Had a baby since I registered. My 15 month old weighs 24 lbs.

There is a lot of range in weights, but expect 22-28 lbs.

For the record, I LOVE babies and toddlers. I would give my right arm to be a preschool teacher. You're very lucky. Actually, I'd give my right arm to be an infant care-provider. I can hold/rock a screaming, colicky, baby all day long. Change horrific diapers... I LOVE babies.

In fact, I had a dream the other night that I got credentials and opened up a daycare. I wonder if that was some sort of inner-working desire popping up there...

6. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Dec 20, 2014

Good luck!! I can do infants and toddlers....just don't prefer it. Some people are made for that age group though. :)

Oh and you may be lifting some heavyweights, so be prepared for that. We changed diapers every two hours and more as needed. Just learn proper lifting technique and you should be fine.