New Jersey

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Aug 1, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

Okay, so I know MTV's The Jersey Shore is, well, I won't go so far as to say it's popular...but many people know of the show. I've never seen it, but I've seen some of the cast members on a couple of news bits. I was recently flipping through the channels and came across another show featuring similar "characters" and although I can't recall the name, Jersey was in the title. There was a salon involved. I watched only a few minutes out of sheer curiousity. I had never heard of the term Guido (spelling?) before these shows appeared. I don't know if that's a good word or bad word, racial, no clue. But I know it's used when discussing these shows.

Okay, so here's the thing. I realize the characters from these shows in no way represent New Jersey as a whole. But the big hair, intense tans, layers of make-up, muscles...is this all for television? Thoughts? Insight?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

Guido is definitely a derogatory slur for an Italian or Italian American, even though the people on the show refer to themselves that way. I would never call someone that.

Living near NJ and having a large NJ population at my university, I would say that it is most definitely not just for television - I knew many people who were very much like the people on the television show. Of course, I knew many people from Jersey who didn't look or act that way, too. It's not a representation as a whole, but those people definitely exist.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

...Everywhere.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

I've never seen such people. Seriously. :huh:

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

Most of the guidos i've seen tend to...... come down from Northern NJ (right near NY) and NY in droves.

It is a rather unusual phenomena.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

I think you can find people obsessed with their appearance, guys who are all about macho and women who do whatever it takes to get noticed, anywhere in the world.

The details may be regional, but I think the behavior is pretty universal.

And, for the record, "guido" is a fairly offensive term to Italians.

8. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

I live in the next town over from where "Jersey Shore" takes place. NO not everyone in New Jersey is like the "characters" you see on the show. Yes there are some that appear that way, but there are many that are a little more on the conservative side. Only 1 of the cast members is from New Jersey.

dbelmo

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

Jerseylicious is the other show I think you're talking about.

NJ's always gotten a pretty bad rap. I did know people like that in college-but making the generalization I think is the same as saying everyone in Texas rides horses and talks with a drawl. It's a like a caracature (sp?)-an exaggeration of their reputation.

I can't watch Jersey Shore-I think it gives women a bad name more than Jerseyans. I saw a video of Sookie the other day (she just got arrested again for drunk and disorderly) try to get on a bike while completely wasted-of course she fell right off. I just don't like them, I can't watch.

10. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

Most people on the show aren't from NJ. They're from the city and Long Island too. I think it gives us italians a bad name. Never cared to watch it.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

PLease do not think everyone in NJ looks like this please remember only ONE of the casts members in from NJ.
    They give us such a bad bad name. We go down the Jersey shore every weekend and NONE of our friends look or act like this.

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious are both like bad train wrecks, cant look away!

Jersey Shore is actually filmed in Miami this season! SO yes there are people like that everywhere-since the others at the bars and beaches are not "characters" on the show.

I don't really think Guido is offensive..at least around here....though I guess it depends on where it comes from and how you mean to say it....for example some hs girls call each other B itch joking around but you wouldnt say that it was a nice word..all depends on the context.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

I wanted to be sure people understood that I was aware the characters on these shows aren't representative of New Jersey as a whole. I'm a Kentuckian...I know better than to recognize sweeping stereotypes. :)

Also, I wanted everyone to know I've never used the term Guido before. I had never even heard of it prior to these television shows. I thought they probably created it. :unsure:

Alice, yes, I know people are obsessed with hair, tanning, makeup, muscles and the like all over. But these characters are like no one I've ever known. I guess it's all the details.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

The one from NJ is from my town. haha

I graduated from HS with her younger sister