New iPad Mini

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

I just bought myself an after Christmas present--an iPad mini. What are your can't-do-without apps--school-related and personal?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

Oh, glad you asked.

Not that I have any answers, but we just got IPADS shortly before school ended for Christmas. I'm interested in the responses you get.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2013

We have a bunch at school but no one wants to be in charge of them this year as it takes forever to update them all (about 10 hours).

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

We have a set of 15 iPad minis at school that are available to sign out; my good friend is our Technology Lead Teacher and she has responsibility for them. They only have a few apps on them right now and most of those have a strong primary slant.

I know that one thing I'd like to use mine for is to take pictures of student work to create digital/anecdotal files.

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2013

class dojo
    educreations
    science 360
    flow free
    candy crush
    toca band
    4 pics 1 word
    chicktionary
    minecraft
    pizza 1

7. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 30, 2013

All of my students use Edmodo for classroom assignments. I can post quizzes and short answers that I want them to respond to and links to stories that we might be reading online. I can grade there assignments directly from the app.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2013

How do you like it so far? What made you choose the mini over the regular size? I don't think I'd like anything smaller than the regular size, unless I already had the reg. size & wanted the mini for being on-the-go a lot.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2013

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

A couple of reasons for choosing the mini--price and portability. I don't have any issues with the size of the display and love that it's easy to throw in any bag or purse I'm carrying. The fact that it was under $300 (Canadian!) made the decision an easy one.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

Thanks, TG! So much for getting anything done around the house today!

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2013

Our special ed teachers are having some success with class dojo. It's used in elementary a lot, but it's working at MS too.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2013

I almost bought myself one yesterday. I talked myself out of it, but now I'm wishing I had gone ahead and gotten it.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2013

Thanks, TG.

I just forwarded that site to the entire faculty of my school.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2013

I would agree.
    I do not use it all the time.
    When I use it for whole class, it's for something like staying on task during Daily 5 or raising hand before speaking. The sounds the I-pad makes allows the kids to know I am catching someone being good, or bad, but they do not know who. Works like a charm.

16. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 31, 2013

Educreations
    Flipagram
    Dropbox
    Tellagami
    Any QR code app
    BrainPop Jr. has a free movie of the week app as well.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2013

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, everyone--keep them coming!

18. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Dec 31, 2013

School:
    Socrative - get students to take quizzes, or exit tickets, or respond and vote on responses
    Educreations is great!
    CK12 has a great app, based off the website, though I can't remember the name right now.

My kids (my own kids, not my students) use some Montessori math apps, with are good. And Memory Match. They love Temple Run.

Personal:
    Pinterest
    Words with Friends
    Facebook app

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2014

Personal: Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, Moon Phase :)lol: werewolf howl for full moon), tide charts, games (Words with Friends, Candy Crush, etc), bank, Netflix, Amazon Prime, quite a few TV station apps (PBS is good), iZip, Urbanspoon, calculator, Weatherbug, Yoga and Pilates videos...

School: I don't bring my iPad into the classroom. It's one thing that I try really hard to keep for just me, but I do have a few - our online grade book has an app, Evernote, and My Library. I do bring the iPad in for my kid doing community service hours. She's scanning my books into My Library and coding them for me.

20. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2014

My lines between school and personal are somewhat blurred... And almost all of these apps are free, I have a personal principle about that because otherwise it would be way too easy to overspend!

Personal: Evernote, mint.com, feedly, twitter, kindle, ted talks, youtube, dictionary
    School (I work with kids mostly 1:1 in resource so sometimes I'll let them use my ipad as reinforcement, so some of these apps are for kids to use): Prezi, khan academy, sushi monster (math practice), digit whiz, WWP vocab, stack the states, timer touch, too noisy (love it!), dictionary and evernote I use for school too.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 2, 2014

I'm an SLP.

Personal: Zinio, Next Issue (soon), Sephora, a couple navigational apps, few discussion boards, relaxing sounds, few retail stores, my local newspaper

School: Lots of stories where the narrator reads aloud, articulation apps, language apps by Super Duper, comprehension, comparisons, parts of speech, sentences, syn/ant, idioms, emotions, pargmatics, descriptions, word searches, crosswords, Scrabble