NEW IDENTITY THEFT SCAM!!! - read and beware

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Jan 27, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 27, 2011

I just heard about this tonight on the radio. maybe it's been out there for a bit (the date on the article I will link to is from early December), but I think it is important to keep frineds informed.

I guess someone calls your home or work and tell you that they are a Microsoft "WINDOWS SERVICE". They say that your computer is infected and that they can help you "remotely" to get it cleaned up.

They have you go online, go to a website called AMMYY, click on something...and they are in. They will try to sell you cleaners and such - but that's too late. They have your access.

Here is a website blog that explains the entire thing (article title - Ammyy.com Scam
    ):

http://antivirus.about.com/b/2010/12/08/ammy-com-scam.htm

One victim said that they ended the call when it sounded fishy - but shortly after that they noticed that their cursor was moving around the screen on it's own (ie: they were working through his stuff remotely).

Can you imagine??? The man on the radio mentioned that they were asking him to pull up a lot of files to his computer (SURE! They were going through things.), and asking him to open up windows to accounts and.....wow!

BEWARE!!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

Thanks for the heads up. :2up:

I think that a lot of these scams can be avoided if people just use a little common sense.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2011

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't heard about this one. Sheesh.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2011

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't heard of this one...yet!

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 27, 2011

um yea, common sense. How would a random person, no matter who from whatever company, would KNOW your computer is infected unless YOU know you contacted them......