New HS teacher (French I, 11th & 12th Grade ELA)

Discussion in 'High School' started by alchemistgold5, Aug 6, 2013.

1. alchemistgold5

alchemistgold5 New Member

Aug 6, 2013

Hi there,
    I'm just about to start my first teaching job in an American public school. I've got a pretty heavy schedule-- 3 subjects: 2 sections of 12th grade English, one section of 11th grade English, and 2 sections of French I. I'm wondering if anyone out there might be able to make any suggestions for my lesson planning. I've done a lot of the French prep. already but I'm still looking for a lot of stuff for 11th & 12th grade English, such as activities, lesson ideas, bellringers (sponge activities), etc. I know that the textbook for the English classes with be the Holt Rhinehart Elements of Lit. 11th Grade will be American Lit. and 12th grade will be British Lit. Any ideas for things I can do to help get the year off to a good start would be very much appreciated!

3. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 6, 2013

Hi,

I teach 11th and 12th grade English. Will you be using Common Core standards? Also, how long are your class periods?

I teach 90 minute blocks. I start most days with sustained silent reading (some schools go for this, and some do not: mine does). They are allowed to read anything they'd like for 12-15 minutes (books, magazines, or whatever--as long as it's appropriate). Then, I do a short grammar lesson on whatever the topic of the week is (sentence variety, wordiness, parallelism, etc.--they have a quiz on Fridays), and then I move on to literature or essays or whatever the major subject of the day is. The last 10-15 minutes are for journals.

If I were you, I would plan class, first, around the objectives you have to meet, and then by literature (choose your major pieces, etc), writing (what types of essays, when you'd like to do them), etc.

I like to have a routine, and since I have 90 minute blocks, I think it's much better to teach a bit of everything everyday (but at certain times) rather than bombard them with 90 minutes of ONE thing. All teachers are different, but I know if I'm getting bored that the students are, too. It may take me longer to get through a long piece of literature this way, but I'd much rather do that than what my teachers did in high school and cover one thing only (until it's finished), and then move on.

If you have shorter classes and want some sort of routine, you could do certain types of work on certain days.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps.

(Oh, and it's a good idea to start students out with some sort of essay to write in the opening days to use as a diagnostic essay. Helps you to see how much work you have to do. I take them up and hold onto them until the end of the semester. I pass them back and have them write a revision of it. It blows their minds at how much their writing has improved, etc. It's a great exercise for self-assessment, etc.)

4. alchemistgold5

alchemistgold5 New Member

Aug 7, 2013

thanks

Thanks a lot for your input. That does help me with structuring class. I should've mentioned that I will also be on a block schedule, and the classes are just under two hours. I will shoot for covering as much stuff each day (grammar, vocab, lit, journal, etc.).

5. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 8, 2013

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll do great!