New hiring trend in my local district

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SPECIALEDMAN, Jan 21, 2010.

1. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jan 21, 2010

I noticed that my district is taking some drastic measures when filling vacant positions here lately. They are basically hiring everyone as "interim" and no benefits!

How do they expect to get committed top notch teachers in the classroom by not making a commitment to the teacher? These folks have families and like all of us desire to have a since of security in their position when taking a job.

Do any of you see this new trend in your district?

Very sad

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010

It's happening all over! My mailman told me the Post Office is using underhanded tactics to force out full-timers then replacing them with part-timers so they don't have to pay benefits.

4. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 21, 2010

It is happening in a lot of places. I know very few people who've gotten a job from 2009 to now, who started with ANY type of benefits. Usually, they got them at six months in and some didn't get any at all. :(

5. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jan 21, 2010

Wow! I know that a lot of teachers are out of work and are taking what they can get, but we are a low performing district (as a whole) here in N.C. and in the end the students suffer because they may not be getting the quality instruction that they need. This will lead to even lower test scores etc… They preach and harp on “Highly Qualified” and not provide anything in return. I foresee teachers unions down the road here in N.C.?? Never know.

6. RNolan

RNolan Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

My old classmates can't find jobs here. A lot of people are moving out of state and taking the same interim deals.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

In tough economic times, they're desperately trying to make ends meet. They know it's a short term fix, but they figure that at least they'll get someone in the classrooms.

And they know the numbers. So many people are unemployed and are happy with any paycheck they can get, even without benefits. The people taking these jobs figure it's a foot in the door. Some of them are probably very committed, happy to be working, and hoping that the benefits will kick in when the economy improves.

You know how we keep hearing you need to "know someone"??? The people taking these jobs are getting known.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2010

Thank God my district isn't doing that as far as I know. That's pretty bad. Interim w/o benefits is basically a nice word for saying (LONG-TERM) SUBSTITUTE. I hope they're not getting paid a sub's pay (which is by the day)! It's scary not knowing if on any day, you'll be told you're no longer needed.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2010

That sounds awful. :(

Is there a union there that can step in?

10. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Mar 5, 2010

No union in the area. Maybe that should change? Our district's here in N.C. would have a cow if they actually had to deal with union officials. They have had it too easy for too long handing down whatever they desire and in turn the teachers having to deal with it. And when it's all said and done; the kids actually suffer.

Ms. I - They are at least offering "teacher pay" but they are saving a lot of money by not offering benefits. This is all being blamed on the State of North Carolina and their money situation.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2010

I hate to be the wet rag here, but budgets are horrible everywhere and I would gladly take a job without benefits if it was the only way the job could be offered.