new here & need job advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteach15, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

I'm new to the website although I have been reading it for awhile.

Anyway, here is my situation. I received an email Monday morning (sent around midnight) from a principal about a position I had applied to a month ago. School started here on Monday, so this was really unexpected to hear about the position still being open. The email asked if I was still interested in the position and if so, to send an email to the vice principal so they can work to set up the interviews.

I sent an email to the vice principal early yesterday morning and have yet to hear anything back. Do you think something may have happened or I should just wait it out a little longer to see if I hear anything back? I know he may be busy since school just started. I am really interested in this position though and I don't want to do the wrong thing here. Is it too soon to try to call the school or email the regular principal?

Suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

3. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

I would call the school and inquire if they have set up any interview times/dates. I would also think about emailing the P back along the lines of saying that you are very interested in the position and have emailed the AP. I would mention that you are waiting back to hear from the ap as well.

4. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 28, 2012

i would email the principal back saying something like "thank you for this opportunity, I sent the email to the VP to set up and interview as suggested. I eagerly wait the reply." to just show that you followed his instructions, but to also keep you in his/her mind.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 28, 2012

Things go in spam folders. I would call the school.

6. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

Well, I took everyone's advice and called the school. I was told the position had been filled. This was possibly my biggest let-down of the summer, even more than being rejected AFTER an interview. Why would they send me an email telling me I was one of the strongest candidates for the position, inviting me for an interview and then not even consider me for the interview?

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

Welcome :)

Sorry about the position :(

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

People at the school probably weren't communicating. It happens. Sorry for the let down.

Additionally I might send a thank you for considering me e-mail to the P (only if you didn't contact them again yet) and say you learned many wonderful things about the school and would have loved the opportunity to join them. It may make them feel a little guilty and keep your resume at the top of the pile. Remember to stay positive though.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

Sorry, it's hard when these things happen. Good luck and hopefully another opportunity becomes available soon.

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

This sort of happened at my school. A teaching position was offered to a woman who was pretty sure she wouldn't accept the job. While she was thinking about it, the asst. Prin. called me to ask about a guy I knew (I had mentioned him when the job opened) and whether he had his clearances ready. Unfortunately for my friend, the woman took the job and my friend got his hopes up for nothing.
    I would suppose it was something like that. Admin were scrambling to cover a position, but ended up not needing it. Look at it this way - you're the one they thought of when they thought they had an opening. That's a good thing. Sorry for your disappointment.