New here - Morale boosters?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by wes_teach, Dec 7, 2012.

1. wes_teach

wes_teach Guest

Dec 7, 2012

Hi everyone.

I am a special ed teacher in NJ. I am also the Sunshine Co-chair. I am trying to find some fun, and cheap, morale boosting/community building games.

For example; last winter we did a "snowball fight" with the staff. It is similar to the Boo'd game at halloween if u are familar with that. In short Sunshine made up a gift basket of little gifts (scratch off lottery tickets; g/c for one Redbox rental, hot chocolate and chocolate spoon, etc.) We dropped that basket off in a classroom with instructions. The teacher chose a gift, took a "I've been hit!" sign, posted it in their classroom door window and then anonymously passed the basket and instructions on. This continued to until every staff member had received a gift. It was fun for the staff and very low effort. We chose to provide the gifts in order to ensure 100% participation.

I am looking for more ideas like that. Anyone have anything?

We already do monthly breakfasts, acknowledge bdays and the typical stuff. Looking for more game type activities that Sunshine can put together rather inexpensively and involves low effort from the staff.

Thanks in advance!
    Christina

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2012

We have tried some of those things, but no one is interested in participating. Our morale is at an all-time low. I think it's because all the little "extras" have been taken away and today they talked of taking away birthday cards/gifts and work anniversary acknowledgements. We are all so bummed out. Sorry I can't help you out as I don't know what to do anymore.

4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Rookie

Dec 7, 2012

Before I became a teacher, we'd take an hour a month and go golfing down the office hallway. We played for lotto scratchers. At school now, they have snacks in the office and teacher's lounge. That's about it.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

We don't do a lot for morale. Having said that the Social Committee puts holiday decorations on the tables in the lounge, i.e. leaves for fall, Trees for Christmas etc. The head of the committee sometimes puts out little cans of mints or chocolates. She reuses the decorations so there is no cost involved.

She also makes a couple of cakes once a month to celebrate birthdays. She just puts up a little sign with the names we are celebrating.

We have a rotating schedule, by grade, of who provides breakfast. This happens twice a month.

We do go to the local bar & grill on the last day before Thanksgiving, Christmas, & summer breaks. Don't remember if we did that before Spring break or not.

New this year is Secret Santa.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

Monthly breakfast hosted by different grade levels/teams
    December cookie exchange
    Jeans for charity
    Secret Valentine

7. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Dec 9, 2012

We do staff dress up days. Some we've done the last few years: alma mater day, NFL or MLB team day, ugly Xmas sweater day. We are allowed to wear jeans on these days if we participate. The staff also dresses up for halloween each year (this is a ms/hs combo).