New here, Interview and going NUTS!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kpteacher, Aug 1, 2009.

1. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

Hello Everyone,
    I am a newbie! I have been reading the boards for a while and couldn't think of a better place to post my thoughts right now as I can see how supportive everyone is.
    Quick history: Taught 1st grade 2.5 years, left to be SAHM. ALso taught 4th grade ESL 3 years for summer school. Have been out of the classroom for 7 years but was teaching adults during that time.

Have gotten my license back to an active status and got my first call for an interview, which I had yesterday.

So here's my BIGGEST dilema.....

I went to the interview, panel of 2 principals and 1 ,HR, I think. Had my portfolio and a picture portfolio, tri-fold brochure and copies of everything for everyone. It was like talking to trees. One of the principals got two phone calls and took them, with another it was all he could to do stay awake! There was no reaction in anything I said, no smiles, no frowns, nothing! One would ask a question, then the next, then the next...kept going for 40 minutes. Also, the questions that were asked were district related, I had no clue, but tried to key in on words that I could make into something. The only question, out of the 100+ that I had reviewed was "there is a stack of applicants 3 feet tall why should we hire you"? In the end I left feeling like it was a complete BOMB! :dizzy:

Are interviewers always this poker faced?

If I get a call back it is to go to the Superintendent...

Thanks to anyone that posts...

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Wow--- I'm so sorry! :hugs: Hopefully that's the last time you have an interview experience like that.

I've been on a few interviews and have always talked to Ps and APs who were involved and interested in what I had to say.

4. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Aug 1, 2009

I haven't had this experience but several on here have reported similar things happening to them. I am sure they will chime in. Big hugs to you!

5. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I guess I've been lucky; in all of my interviews the interviewers seemed interested in what I was saying. Who knows though, maybe they really liked you and were just trying to not show any emotion.

Good luck!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2009

That's too bad that it didn't better, but that could just be the way they're supposed to interview there. Good luck!

7. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

heres hoping

thanks all for the posts...heres hoping that they are just trained that way... i guess i was even more surprised that they were so mono because i graduated from the district and one of the principals was one of my teachers. I thought there would be a little more interest! also, the superintendent recommended me for the interview..argh! i wasn't hoping for the world, (job), and boy is the interview experience great, but I can't even walk away having an idea of what happened... oh and at the end...i found out that the other person interviewing was a second cousiin to my husband!...ahahaha

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

I've never had an interview like that!! But I have heard where interviewers will act like this to see your reaction.

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I was at an interview where one P was engaged, told me I was so well informed about current trends in teacher(I had been a SAHM for 4yrs.), she laughed at some gentle humor I used. Then there was a teacher in that same interview that didn't crack a smile, knod, or acknowledge my responses in any way. The other P in the interview just knodded to everything I said. Unfortunately I didn't get the position, but whether someone seems engaged or poker-faced, you can never tell how an interview is really going. I think some interviewers are out-going, happy people who just can't help but being engaged with others. Some are hard core "don't let them know what I am thinking" type of interviewers. I think it's all personality. So, when I leave an interview, I never assume good/bad or otherwise. It's all just up to what they are looking for...even if you nailed the interview.

10. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I had an interview like that- I thought about leaving midway thru. Turns out, that that's just how she is...I doubt your next interview will be like that! Good luck to you...I'm trying to go back after being a SAHM too.