New here and need advice :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nikkiJ, Aug 31, 2009.

1. nikkiJ

nikkiJ Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

I interviewed for two different jobs this summer...didn't get either. I'm not currently working in education, and I feel like this has put me at a disadvantage. I think it kind of worries principals a little. I really want to teach, but it looks like the only opportunity I'll have this year is to sub. I also feel like I need to do something education related if I ever want to be taken seriously at a teaching interview. I would love to sub, but I'm worried about the inconsistency of income. I really NEED to work and NEED a stable income, and I can't sit around and wait for teachers to be out. What do you think?? I'm so torn. Do I stay in my current job, where I know what I'll be bringing home every check, or do I sub and give myself more experience teaching but risk financial stability? :dizzy: None of you can answer this for me, but what would you do?? Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

As difficult as it might be, subbing would probably be the best opportunity. Anything to get you working with children would be best...working in a daycare setting, subbing, tutoring, etc. Hopefully you can get your name out there as a great sub and will begin to get lined up days/weeks in advance. Also, long term assignments are a great way to network.

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 31, 2009

I'm in a similar boat although I do not have a job at all. I'm still applying for teaching jobs and aide positions while I'm applying outside of the education field...just until something education related comes along. I would hope that P's would realize that the economy has put so many of us at a disadvantage by not being able to find a job this school year.

I do agree that subbing is really the best way but none of us are in your shoes and know your financial and familial obligations. Good luck!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

I think I'm going to be the voice of dissent once again.

Right now, you have bills to pay and a steady job. In this economy, those steady jobs can be hard to come by. Additonally, there are LOTS of qualiried, experienced teachers on those sub lists this year.

To be honest, I think I would hunker down for a year. Maybe take a course or two, but not quit that bill-paying job.

Hopefully by the spring things will be looking up, and you can re-evaluate.

Would it be possible to work with the schools in some other capacity? Could you run the school play, volunteer to run a book club, or help with homecoming? Anything to get your name out there.

6. LostTeacher

LostTeacher Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

I was going to suggest doing the aftercare at a school. This is a good way to meet the kids and staff. Usually aftercare starts at 2:45 or 3 so maybe you can work something out with your fulltime job?

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2009

I agree with Alice and would also keep your job, because subbing can be so sporadic and there's no guarantee that being a great will lead to a job next year. I would try to find other ways to work with kids, like tutoring.

8. Bseballchick

Bseballchick Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

As someone who is searching for work-any work, I'd say KEEP your job! There are almost no jobs out there, and sub jobs are also hard to come by at this time and not something you can count on. Nor is it a source of a stable income or any benefits. I'm an experienced teacher trying to find something outside of teaching because things are so bad. I feel like there is no future for me in education with the way things are. I also need an income that is steady and can't afford to sub here and there to get by. I'd do anything for a job right now, but finding one when all you've done is teach is extremely hard.
    I agree with Aliceacc-hunker down with the job you've got. Talk to people about possibly volunteering, or making contacts in teaching, and maybe take some classes. Perhaps things will improve at some point, but for now-Feel lucky that you have a job and a steady income.
    Good luck!

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2009

I agree with the above posters. I would keep my full time secure job. Subbing is a tough job lately, there are hundreds on the sub lists here, and you are called by certification and years of experience. All I've gotten so far are jobs I do not want. Thank goodness for unemployment. :)

10. pinkteacher123

pinkteacher123 Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

I agree with what the others said. Keep the job you have... and look into volunteer opportunities. The other thing you could possibly do is maybe see if your current job could be a bit flexible and leave a day or two during the week open to sub just to get some of the exposure in the districts but also ensure enough hours at the current job.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

11. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Sep 1, 2009

Keep your job so you at least have some income coming in - but perhaps you can look into afterschool tutoring, running a club, coaching (if you can), etc. - that way you can show you have experience working with kids. When things get better (and I am hoping they will soon!), you will then have experience.

Keep looking, though. I know in my state, because the state budget has not been approved, there is a small chance that teaching jobs will pop up after the budget goes through. Plus, you may get a LTS or a teacher may leave, etc.

Good luck!:D

12. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Sep 1, 2009

ditto. i assume that your current position has benefits. keep those as the districts (at least here) do not provide or compensate you for benefits.