New Hampshire Environment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WordLover, Sep 26, 2017.

1. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Sep 26, 2017

Hi there. Is anyone familiar with the teaching environment in NH? My husband and I are exploring the possibility of relocating. It is quite tough to find a job in NJ; younger teachers are telling me that even their peers are having difficulty procuring positions.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 27, 2017

Jobs aren't impossible but they are difficult. Add certs and sub in different places. You'll find easier avenues in charter and catholic where you can work a few years and be more marketable. I'm assuming by "younger" you are a career changer so you might not feel like you have the time to do that.

4. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Sep 27, 2017

I'm familiar with NH, though I haven't taught there. I'm from NH and would like to return some day so I got my license there. The licensing is easy. And the work environment doesn't sound very different from where I teach in MA. I've interviewed in NH schools that I was impressed by. That being said the hope for going back seems to be dwindling as it would require a big pay cut from where I am and each year that income gap grows. I love NH and in my opinion it's an excellent place to live. But it's not the best paying for teachers. Would it be your first year teaching? If so, finding a teaching position in NH may not be any easier than NJ (I'm not familiar with how competitive NJ is). You may get offered para positions till you have some experience. If it's not your first year, I am sure you could find something at a school you like although there won't be a lot of open positions this time of year. NH hiring is busiest from April-June.
    Also on the financial side, if you would be a first year teacher the pay won't seem so bad. And instead of paying into teachers retirement funds through the state, you could collect social security (NH is one of three states where teachers can do so not that SS has any more longevity). And the cost of living in NH is very affordable especially when compared to median household income. And no income tax or sales tax!

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 28, 2017

My experience with NH is: low pay, low cost of living, smaller class sizes and strong community support.