New grade level team

Discussion in 'General Education' started by carlea, Aug 10, 2008.

1. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Has anyone changed grade levels? Is your new team great or not?

I'm having a little trouble with mine already and school hasn't even started!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I have changed grade levels every year that I have been a classroom teacher except for this one. Every time the team is different and it does take some getting used to. Even this year, we are down one section so there will only be three of us and it will take adjustment too. I think you need to not sit and be quiet perse, but observe the dynamics and try to figure them out first. Certainly make your own opinions known but also know that they may have been doing things for years and years and might feel insecure if a new person on the team is saying to do things differently. Like I said I think you should be able to voice your thoughts and concerns!! Hope it gets better for you!!!

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I changed! I work at a school where there are only 2 teachers per grade. I am so far enjoying the other teacher I work with. I think we have everything handled for the year and we work well together.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

Last year it was hard working with the science team we have its 5th -8th there was a new one and she was just a Erpmmm this year the one beside me is a wonderful woman we start our meetings on Mon and have them on Tues each week. i just hope its better this year. I always seem to get stuck doing everything. I hope everything works out well for you. I had misjudge one and she is so easy to get along with this year. It sometimes takes time to get to know one another and how we work. Time will tell and then i would take it higher up if it doesn't get any better.

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

It seems that my team changes every couple of years. I don't do well with change, so it's always hard for me at first. A couple of years ago, it was especially hard when a new teacher came to our school and joined our team. She was extremely difficult to work with because of her negativity, eagerness to be alone, and lack of enthusiasm. Once we got to know her, she became a great part of our team and was a great friend. It turned out that she had some difficult things going on in her life at home and we weren't aware of it until awhile later and those problems really affected her attitude at school. Give it some time, I'm sure things will work out.

I had a brand new team again last year because teachers transferred, etc. I knew my team members because they already worked at my school. It was much easier, but getting use to a new team is still difficult. I will have another new team member this year, so yet again, I have to deal with more change. Good luck to you! Stay positive!

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I changed this year, 5th to 4th. They eliminated a 5th grade and added a 4th and I was the lucky one to move. Unfortunately, I will probably be bouncing back and forth like this for several years. I am really excited about the change. I always wanted to teach 4th and I will be working with two veteran teachers who are awesome! I am a little worried, though, that I will just follow along with whatever they want to do/say because they do have lots of experience, but I just have to keep telling myself to do what I want to do and that my ideas/suggestions are valid as well!

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

My team has changed this year. We are going from 3 to 4 classes, and 2 of the other teachers are new to 1st grade. The other teacher has taught 1st for the past 12 years and is in her last year before retirement. Then there's me, with 3 years of experience in 1st.

The personalities on my team couldn't be any more different from each other. However, we are all enthusiastic and excited about the new school year, so I think whatever differences we have....well, we will just have to deal with them.

There are always going to be people -at any job- that you may not mesh with. Just remember, you can't control others' actions, you can only control your own reaction to them. Best of luck!

9. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Thanks, everybody for your encouragement! The other two members of my team scheduled a planning day next week and "invited" me to attend (that's what the email said). I will remember to have a positive attitude!!

10. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I was a team lead teacehr last year.... the teacher I worked with was impossible...Before school started we were supposed to meet, and she showed up 1 hour late. The first day of school she came at 8:45 and we started at 8. She would show up 30 minutes to 45 minutes late every day, she would even be late to classes, that were during the day (3rd and 4th period). She would give tests a day later than I would (this was a no-no at our school). I can go on and on.

The best thing I can tell you is, make sure to let your admin know. You do not want to be held responsible for him/her.

11. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

I am team leader this year and we have 2 new people to our grade level. But I was close with the other remaining team member and the 1 moving up to 2nd. The last is new to teaching. We already love each other. I am so excited for this year and happy that I have 3 other people that are as excited and silly as I am!

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

We are only 2 for our team and our P constantly compliments us on how well we work together. This will be our 4th year working together and I hope that we work together for a long time. We have also become very good friends. There are 2 K teachers at our school and we also work very closely with them and we all enjoy working with each other. I am happy that we can get along; I know that life would be more difficult if you and your team can't seem to work together.