New grad, not certified

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by barronzp, Jun 14, 2015.

1. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Jun 14, 2015

I just graduated this year and am not certified/licensed. All the apps for work I've been seeing ask for license number, etc. I usually end up checking the "not licensed" button and put a comment of "In process" for license and certs. Sometimes it asks if I am a student, but I graduated in Dec., so I say no.

Am I doing this wrong? Is the computer automatically saying I am disqualified automatically by the computer? What are people in similar situations doing? thanks.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2015

What else do you need to do to become certified?

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2015

I guess the real question is why you are not yet certified or licensed, maybe even more important since you did graduate in December instead of May. If it is the testing, I would be giving that my undivided attention In process and pending are applicable responses when all of the testing is completed and the state has everything they need to move forward with your credentials. It is not the correct response if the DOE had found you wanting in something, or tests still need to be completed or passed.

Without something more concrete on the status of your certificate, I fear you are wasting your time. If the state has everything they need and you haven't heard anything in 4-6 weeks, use the phone and talk to a real person to make sure your paperwork hasn't been lost.

Best of luck.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 14, 2015

Are you in the process of getting certified? Taking tests, finishing the edTPA etc.? It stinks, but honestly, if you're not certified - even if you are in the process - in NY at least, you probably are getting weeded out. It's an oversaturated market with plenty of certified teachers looking for work.

6. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Jun 14, 2015

Yes, I've done all of those things, but I am in the process of taking tests and EdTPA.

given these points, what should I put down when they ask about the certification? I've been putting "yes" and then clarifying about "in process".

7. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Jun 14, 2015

Are all of the May grads in the same boat with regards of being weeded out until their certs are official?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2015

How competitive do you view yourself compared to those who are newly certified/licensed and applying for the same jobs?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2015

Do you have a license to teach without having completed the tests and EdTPA? If the answer is no, then that answers your question. If May graduates are hung up on the same requirements, yes, I seriously doubt they are going to get serious consideration either. However, if some of those May grads have passed all the tests and are deep into EdTPA process already, then you are behind them. This is the downside to being a newly graduated teacher with hoops to jump through. Treat finishing the requirement like a job, long days and all - see if that gets you where you want to be a little sooner.

I should say that I am NOT licensed in NY, so not sure about your testing, but passing the assigned tests is always high on the "To do" list - it is hard to be eligible for hiring without that out of the way. I have been through this with my son, and know it is hard to live with.

10. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Jun 14, 2015

I dont know it it's high needs any more, but it's a couple sciences.

I didn't know it took that long to report scores. There's a lot going on with Edtpa and such this year.

11. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 14, 2015

I think you should indicate that you are still a student on your applications since you are still completing the required tests.

12. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 15, 2015

I would be tempted to say yes on applications just because I think you'll get filtered out if you say no. But definitely make getting through your exams and the edTPA a high priority and get it done ASAP. If your certification is really in process by the time you get an interview - and by in process, I mean you've passed everything and you're just waiting on the state to process it all - you might be okay. But if you can't show districts that you've met all the certification requirements then you're asking them to hire you on the assumption that you will pass everything. As saturated as most markets in NY are, I can't imagine very many districts doing that. They'll have plenty of quality candidates who already have certification in hand.

As for all May graduates being in the same boat, it just depends. When I graduated, I'd already passed all of my exams, taken all my seminars, and submitted my edTPA so it was just a matter of waiting for my edTPA score and then waiting for the certification to go through. Some people will be in the same boat as you, some will be a little ahead. But yes, anyone who hasn't completed certification requirements will bump into the same hurdles.

13. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 15, 2015

I'm going to echo pretty much what other people have said here already. Unless you know you have met all the requirements for certification, passing the tests, workshops etc. I would not put that you have your certification and yes that will hinder your job search. It's unfortunate and I know with all the new tests and requirements it must be stressful getting certified. The great thing is though as soon as all your paperwork as been processed they issue your cert that day.

Back when I was first certified in 2007 we had to wait until 9/1 for the cert to go through. In order to be hired I had to get a letter from my university saying I completed all steps and was recommended for certification to show principals at interviews. That was more of the definition of "in process" because they knew I was just waiting for the date to come because the state only issued certs twice a year.

I can't say I would apply for public school jobs without knowing for sure that I passed all my tests. Only you can decide that. But I know as an admin that if I saw your scores weren't in I wouldn't interview you. There's just too many candidates who have their certification in hand already.

I wish you luck though.