NEW Generation FTCE Tests

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RisyFLA, Jun 10, 2014.

1. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Jun 10, 2014

I just wanted to share some background information on the new generation FTCE tests.

The exams were tested-out prior to official release. (Save $$ by volunteering to take a “new generation” test.) To be fair, questions on the “new” test are linked to questions on the “old” test and then scored using the old pass-score standard. Data is collected and analyzed. I’ll use ESOL as an example.

Old ESOL Test:
    Must correctly answer 58% (70/120)
    79% of first-time examinees passed the test

*Almost* New ESOL Test:
    Recommend Examinees should correctly answer 68% (81/120) of MORE DIFFICULT questions
    51% PROJECTED pass rate of first-time examinees

June 1, 2014 New ESOL Test:
    Passing score RAISED to 70% (84/120). A good assumption is that passing rates will be LESS THAN 51% of first-time examinees.

Likewise,
    Professional Educator less than 70% of examinees will pass.
    MG Mathematics 5‐9 less than 44% of examinees will pass.
    Mathematics 6‐12 less than 46% of examinees will pass.
    PreK‐3 LA Subtest less than 47% of examinees will pass.
    In fact, only 39% of examinees are expected to pass all 4 PreK-3 tests the first time.

This is similar to the new generation tests introduced last year. Physical Education dropped from a previous pass rate of 79% to 43%. I expect the pattern holds true for all of the new 2014 tests.

Current scores at www.fldoe.org/asp/ftce/pdf/percentpass.pdf

All of the new tests are designed to validate that everyone is at least a beginning effective teacher candidate (BETC)…"demonstrates sufficient knowledge of subject matter, curriculum, research‐based instructional strategies, professional responsibilities and standards, and use of student data to inform practice so that the candidate has a high likelihood of positively impacting the learning, as well as the behavior and dispositions, of diverse students."

So, be in the half that passes….STUDY!

3. kmoflorida

kmoflorida Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Seriously this is crazy. I signed up to take the primary pk-3 test for license renewal bc I am not currently teaching (stay at home mom) and need to renew. I took this test in 2009 when we moved here and thought it was a breeze- easiest of the FTCE tests I took. And now I am in a panic!!!!! I take the test Thursday. UGH!

4. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

It wasn't that easy in 2009

Back in 2009, 93% passed the PK-3 test on the first time around. Not sure if it was a different version, but only 69% passed in 2007.

For the new generation test, the hardest subsection is the one I quoted, Language Arts. Anticipated first time pass rates are:
    Subtest #1 73%
    #2 47%
    #3 59%
    #4 72%
    So not all of them are quite that challenging.

Compare the revised competency standards to the old ones and try to figure out what is "new". If you really don't feel prepared, you can reschedule within (??48-72??) hours on the Nesinc website.

5. kmoflorida

kmoflorida Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

I found these numbers which are showing a higher pass rate than the ones you showed

Well it won't let me post the link but it's from FLDOE org and is under firsttime ftce examinees and shows a passrate of over 90% in 2013 for the new four part test.

Not doubting your info, just wondering if I should be looking somewhere else.

I have two options, and I am actually thinking of canceling the prek test and taking the Social Studies 6-12. Basically, I am certified in both. Was going to let my SS cert expire bc in all likelihood I will never use it. I have taken a college early childhood class to count for half of my hours. So, basically I can take the prek test and just renew my primary certification, or take the SS test and renew both. I recall the SS test to be difficult, hardest by far of the exams I took in 2009. But now I'm unsure of what to do.

6. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

Hi KMO,

I don't have a link, but I do have the DOE report.
    The new generation Pre-K - 3 tests had a limited (and voluntary) testing period from July-August 2013. That data is NOT included in the report of passing scores for 2013 (i.e., 90%.) In fact, if you read the chart footnotes, it should say

The voluntary test takers scored between 36-47% on each of the 4 subtests.

Much of the DOE discussion implies that the new PreK test was permanently implemented in July 2013, but I do not believe that is true. The evidence suggests that it just came online June 1st, 2014.
    The sample data from last summer was evaluated and the final decision for passing scores was only finalized in March 2014, when the Florida Administrative Code rules were revised.

Wish someone could help with that . . . .it's not my subject area.

Scores are delayed for the PrK-3 Test for June-July, with no onsite pass/fail info (another indicator that it just came online). So you will be waiting 5 weeks for your results anyway. Can you at least delay to August 1?

The SS test has been out a couple of years, so hopefully you can get feedback on your questions. Tough situation. I intentionally took one of my tests on the May 31 deadline, to avoid a new test and get instant pass results.

However - none of this means YOU won't pass.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2014

Florida's tests are implemented by Pearson, and in most Pearson states, when a new test is launched, the final decision on passing scores is made on the basis of the first one or two or possibly three administrations: this is one reason that passing scores for a new test tend to be delayed.

8. kmoflorida

kmoflorida Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

I've decided to go social studies. There's too much uncertainty around the new primary test for me. However can't find much information on the test actually changing (the social studies one) besides the requirement for a pass seems to have gone up by five percent if my memory serves me right. The test prep booklet seems to be exactly the same as the last time I took it in 2009.

I'm the one at fault; should've taken another course instead of delaying til the last minute to renew. I'll be hitting the history books all week. If anyone has any information on the changes to the social studies test let me know!

9. car0lina

car0lina Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

I'm confused. Is the ESOL K-12 exam new, or just the way it's scored? The other new exams, such as Gen Know and Elem K-6 have clearly marked new study materials on the FL DOE website. There is nothing about a new ESOL test this year. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

10. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

Carolina

The new ESOL test was implemented within the last 2months. I agree that it is not explicitly shown at NESINC. However, other state documents refer to the Summer 2014 administration as the "New generation test form for ESOL." Of course, the Board doesn't actually announce "new tests," they "revise the competencies."

Copied from the Feb2014 version of Competencies and Skills Required for Teacher Certification in Florida, Twentieth Edition.

Those competencies were finalized on Jan 2012. If you have an older set of competencies, you can compare them to the new ones.

11. car0lina

car0lina Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

Thanks for the info.

12. rapple

rapple Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

I found this info which shows the test changes - some tests have Score changes while other tests have content changes. Passing Scores were changed on some tests (Math,PET, ESOL…) while other tests have content changed (GK, Elementary, English 6-12…)

I'm confused as to what exactly is a 'linked passing score' versus the SBE Adopted Passing Score?

www.education.ucf.edu/ftce/docs/FACTESpring2014.pdf

13. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Jul 13, 2014

Linked Scores

The linked score is a comparison of the old test and the new test during the "trial" period last summer. It allows users to take the new test, but only be scored on the old competencies.

For example:
    PreK‐3 Subtest 1: Developmental Knowledge
    To pass, you needed to get a 47% on the "new test" during the trial period. That was considered equivalent to passing the old test. 93% of test takers achieved that.

Now that the new test is the official version, you must achieve a 63% in order to pass. The FLDOE estimates that 73% of test takers will pass the new version. More info is in my original post for this thread.

Rapple's previous quote was not accurate. The competencies and skills in the following certification subject areas were revised:
    English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) K–12
    Mathematics 6–12
    Middle Grades Mathematics 5–9
    Professional Education

There was a new test created for each of those subjects. All were implemented in the past year (most on June/July 2014). All of them ALSO have new passing scores. It is not and "either" / "or" situation.

14. rapple

rapple Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

RisyFLA ~ Where did you find your information regarding the new test scores/competencies and skill changes? After reading most of the FDOE, UCF, and FATCE notes, I could only find the specific information noted in my previous post's link. I also called the Florida DOE and specifically asked for new competencies for the Math tests and I was told to use the previous competencies as a guide as they remained the same.

15. RisyFLA

RisyFLA Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

Competencies

Remember, the competencies are what every teacher (experienced or green) is expected to know. Certification is not about being able to study for a test given a test booklet. It is about having a minimum level or expertise in your subject area. The competencies and minimum score reflect what FLDOE and, frankly, the legislature expect from us. The tests catchup with those requirements as quickly as possible.

The competencies currently posted on the nesinc website are the NEW ones. The new tests are currently being administered, so they are no longer considered "new". In fact, most (all?) of the new competencies have been posted since last summer. However, the tests were not fully implemented until this year. They were not necessarily labelled as "new" or "old".

As an example, English 6–12 says "effective as of March 1, 2014", but it appears the new test will not be implemented until September 1.

Again, teachers are expected to have the skills, even if there is a gap of time when the FTCE is not fully verifying that.