New First Year Teacher-What to do!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MsBee, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 7, 2009

I just got a first grade position and I am so excited BUT I have no idea where to start.

I have a back to school letter and a survey that I want parents to complete about their child but what else do I need for parents?

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

I'm with you, but I'm teaching 6th--I'm not even sure about sending a letter at this age??

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

After two days of workshops, my brain is fried so I'm not much help right now...

-information on procedures that pertain to them (how to handle absences, transportation changes, checking in/out procedures, etc.)
    -daily schedule
    -snack info
    -lunch info - cost, how to put money into acct
    -conference time
    -your contact info

5. ESteacher

ESteacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

First of all - congrats on the job!!

The letter and survey are a good start. Next I would decided how you want to communicate with them (parents) throughout the year... weekly and/or monthly progress reports, monthly or quarterly conferences... etc. Try to figure that out now and let them know what their options are if they need to reach you ahead of time- that will help you avoid any "out-of-the-blue" parent letters or concerns.

I dont know if that helps, but I struggled with that for a while in the beginning of last year. I will be sure to plan better for this one!! Good luck!

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

I send a one page note with the info i listed earlier, I go more in depth with what goes on in my classroom at Parent Orientation.

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 8, 2009

Oh ok!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2009

Doesn't the school send mass letters about some of that stuff? I hope!

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2009

All of the above, except:
    Get with your new grade-level chair, instructional coordinator, and principal(s) to see what the requirements are. You might have to have everything approved before you send it out. They might also have specific forms, etc., they want you to use. Ask questions! There is no such thing as a stupid question - only unasked ones!

10. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

I am starting back tomorrow and off the top of my head I need...
    nametags for desks, cubbies, helper board
    b.boards - student work, helpers, calendar, word wall, discipline
    folders for school and home
    daily schedule
    curriculum for the first week
    arrange furniture in the classroom
    gather supplies I think we will need on first day
    copies of suppy list, classroom policies
    check out books to read the first 2 weeks ( I have lots of books so I don't need to check out as many now)
    I also make back to school survival kits and I have been shopping for them.
    These are a few things you may need to get started. I will say for a new teacher - keep things simple at first. It can be overwhelming to keep up with so much. Good luck!

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

<This has nothing to do with the parents>

I remember my first year - what really helped me during that first week was to carry around a clipboard with me throughout the day. On that clipboard was my student roster, schedule and any papers I might need that day. At lunch my pin numbers were on my clipboard and easily accessible. Near the end of the day my transportation list was already by my side. It was just a safe place for me to keep everything in those hectic first days.

12. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Here's what I used to send out to my parents on the first day -- I now do everything online but here goes:

- introduction/welcome letter
    - discipline plan
    - procedures (only the ones pertaining to them like tardies and birthdays)
    - classroom directory form
    - child survey

I try not to overwhelm them with paperwork since they get loads of it from the school. I stagger the rest of the stuff I give them. For instance, I staple the homework procedures page onto their first weekly homework packet.

Hopefully you will be able to plan with the members of your team for the first week of school.

Oh and another thing, figure out how you will be collecting all of their incoming papers from the school's welcome packet and also figure out what you need to store on file and what needs to be turned into the office -- i.e. emergency cards.

One final thing, I like to copy their emergency cards and staple them into their portfolio for easy access.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

This is so true!!!!!! First, always always always copy the emergency card (or emergency contact sheet) BEFORE you submit it to the office. There is always some lag time before the computer system gets updated.

I use tubs (dish pans from wal-mart -- less than $2 each) and label them for each item I need to collect and turn in someplace else. BUT FIRST -- make a checklist so you can check it off as you put it in the tubs. It never fails that half the parents end in all but one of the necessary forms -- the form that is missing is different for each, and once you send them down to the office, you won't remember what is missing. Then 6 months later, you need to write a referral on a student, and the office wants you to send down the signed Code of Conduct form -- and you realize you never got one back!!!! Then you feel foolish.