New first grade teacher!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacher112, Jul 17, 2009.

1. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Hi everyone! I was just hired as a first grade teacher! This will be my first year teaching. I am soooooooooo excited but soooo overwhelmed!!!!!!

First question: Where do I begin???

Second question: How do I pay for everything for the classroom? Am I expected to pay for everything? Am I entitled to money to purchase things for the classroom? No one ever told me what to do. I am going to call the principal tomorrow to ask, but I was just wondering what everyone else thinks.

3. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Congrats!!! I am a new first grade teacher too. I began by looking at what I already had in my classroom and deciding what I needed from there. I also got a copy of our curriculum map and standards from the school.

I am not sure about the second question, I know in my district we are given a certain amount of money to purchase items for our classroom. But, I have bought things that I need for the classroom out of my own pocket. These are things that I need now and can't wait until the orders come in.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

YAY!!!!

You begin by calling everyone you know and letting them help you celebrate!!!!

Talk to the principal on Monday morning. There's plenty of time to get work done; this is a time for celebration!!!

Congrats!

5. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Congrats to both of you! 1st grade is a great grade to teach!

You will probably have things in your classroom...check with your school to see what's there.

Again, congrats, and have a great year!

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

Congrats!!! I remember when I first started I was overwhelmed with thoughts of buying things as well. I didn't know where to begin. Luckily my mentor and team lead called me and told me not to buy anything and not to feel like I need to go out and buy my library! My team helped a lot with books and items. My room came with manipulatives and others in the school were helpful as well. Definitely check with prinicipals and teammates to see what you get and then ask their advice for must-haves. I wouldn't go out buying until you talk to people or you may be buying unnecessary things.

7. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

WOW!!!!!!!!!
    GOOD 4 YOU!!!!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!!! :D

8. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Woohoo!!! Congrats!!

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 17, 2009

Congrats :) excellent advice from previous posters - esp about celebrating your accomplishment

You might also want to check with your local union - our local union offers first year teachers a one time interest free loan of $1000 for expensives of any kind.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

Fantastic! Congratulations!

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

Don't forget to make friends with the secretary! It's likely that she will be the one who deals with budgets and money for supplies.

Congrats! I love 1st grade!

12. prek176

prek176 Companion

Jul 18, 2009

Congratulations!! Looks like there may be a few of us in that "overwhelmed" boat! I too don't really know how to start with 1st grade. To my advantage I have managed classrooms before and as a matter of fact had some of these kids in preschool when they were 3.

The first thing I did was go through my new room to see what was there. I'm realizing that things need to be updated as far as posters, manipulatives, toys etc. There are almost no toys in my new room. So, I did purchase some new things for bulletin boards, a calendar, posters, locker tags-stuff like that.

I have found that most teachers are willing to share their stock with a newbie so I would start with that before you buy anything. Our school has a very limited budget but I was told by the principal that she would find money for things I really need. We also have a Parent Teacher Assoc. that will help teachers with materials for classrooms.

Once I get my room in order I'll be going over the curriculum to see what is covered in 1st grade. (The previous teacher had manuals etc hidden away in cabinets. There didn't appear to be any organization. I had to spend a couple days doing that.) In the meantime browse this website. Everyone is offering wonderful ideas and it has been a great help for me.

Good luck to you!! PS Expect to go from really excited to really scared several times over the summer!! But know that you will surely have support from the staff.

13. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

As you go through whatever curriculum notebooks you might find.....ask someone else on your team if it's still what they use. I know I moved classrooms, there were notebooks of old curriculum in the room, as well as the new.

14. prek176

prek176 Companion

Jul 18, 2009

Yep, and that is the tough thing for me as I am the only 1st grade teacher in the school. I found all kinds of books in the cabinets and was told that at least some of them are no longer used. It is going to be tricky sorting it all out.

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

Yikes! I would also include a request for book donations in your back to school packet! Perhaps some K and 2 teacher (s) may have unwanted books as well.

16. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I love first grade!! Here's what I did that helped: I found out what units I would be responsible for, especially in social studies and science, and laid them out in the month section at the front of my plan book. Then I began to research and plan for at least the first couple so I felt prepared. Check out what you can get at the library--I am the queen of library check outs (60 at a time)! Keep those books on a separate rack so they don't get mixed in with yours. Then I picked out a theme for my room. I used frogs, which I was able to tie into the units in fun ways (we started with Mesopotamia and fresh water). You can find lots of graphics online and make things yourself if you can't afford it yet the first year. My first year I had nothing, so I used Crayola crayons as my theme--easy to make tags and stuff! Check out dollar stores, too. Be sure you have a large calendar (that's worth buying, especially if you can laminate it, and then laminate a single set of numbers and put sticky magnets on the back of the numbers and on the calendar squares to reuse for each month-I've had mine for years). Another great tool that a lot of teachers use during calendar time in the morning is the base ten straws. Buy or make three pockets (plastic cups work well, too) and label them Ones, Tens and Hundreds. Each day, your calendar person gets to add a straw. When you get to ten, you bundle them with a rubber band and put the bundle in the Tens cup, and likewise the hundreds. It's great leading up to Hundreds Day as well! My favorite day in first grade was March 2, Dr. Seuss' birthday. Be sure to check out the Seuss websites for lots of great ideas. Have so much fun--first grade is awesome and it sets the tone for their entire educational experience!