New First Grade Teacher

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kgardner, Jul 11, 2007.

1. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Hello! I have searched through the forums and found piles of advice, but I am hoping I can get something a little more specific for myself. This is my first year teaching, and I have first grade. I know what to do (and I am good at it!) once the routines are established, but I've never had experience or witnessed this. So, I have tons of questions, and don't know where to start...BUT mainly, HOW do I successfully establish these routines? What do I do with these children on the first day of school when I suddenly have their beautiful faces looking at me? How do I build a relationship where they understand I am "in charge" but not to be afraid of me? Thank you!!

3. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 11, 2007

This past year was my 1st year teaching 1st grade (taught 3rd for 3 years). The one thing I realized was that the children would need to be reminded of morning routines and such day after day for the first few weeks. I walked and talked them through our daily routines and had a schedule posted and morning routines posted. We looked at these a few times every day. We played a lot of getting to know you games so that I could learn about them and they could learn about me. I made sure that they knew I meant business. I followed through on everything that I said and spoke sternly when needed. The kids knew that I was approachable though because I could joke around with them too. I made sure to stand at the door and tell them all goodbye and that I couldn't wait to see them tomorrow. I hope this helps a little.

4. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

Please don't take this the wrong way! How do you know you are good at it? Being on your own is a totally different experience. I mentor new teachers so I hear this occasionally. Definitely, go over your routines over and over and over. Speak slowly and model everything. You can even tell them that you are in charge. Being stern and consistent will pay off when you can sit back and watch your students follow procedures without reminders later.

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

We make a chart together of what to do when they come in "Turn in Homework, Put folders in desk, Sharpen pencils, etc." and another chart of what to do at the end of the day "Clean up around your desk, Get your papers out of your mailbox, Put your chairs up, etc.". This year I think we will make a t-chart of other procedures/routines. I will write an event and have the students think about what to do in a specific situation. For example, "When a visitor comes in" The students might say, "We should keep working and stay quiet." or "When I need help and the teacher is working with someone else." The students might say, "Wait our turn or ask a buddy for help."

I hope this works well. I plan to post the chart somewhere in my room. As the others said, the students need a lot of reminders and practice. I have a lot of routines and they do help the class run smoothly.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

Model...practice...model...practice...model...practice. You have to do those things (for many weeks) whether the kids are in K, 1st grade, or 6th grade. They need to know your expectations and the consequences. Make sure you go over and over the routines and procedures A LOT so they understand. Also, go over the right way to do things as well as the wrong way. This helps them to see the difference.

7. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

wdwteach, I am trying not to take your comment the "wrong way," but I do hope you don't ask your students OR your teachers in training "how do you know you are good at it?"

I do agree with you, and I realize being on my own is a different experience. However, I know I am good at "it" - "it" being teaching because I enjoy it. Because I have helped children LEARN and SUCCEED. I am not sure how you act as a cooperating teacher, but I had complete control of the classroom for four months.

I am asking for advice because I know I need it. I know that those of you who have been teaching 1, 3, 5, 20+ years can help. What I don't need is someone trying to make me second guess myself? If that wasn't your purpose, and you didn't want me to "take it the wrong way," please help me understand why you phrased it that way.

Thank you for your advice, also. I do greatly appreciate it.

8. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

sarafirst: I love the "lists" ideas!! Thank you!

9. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

I'm glad I could help! Good luck!

10. kikiteach

kikiteach New Member

Jul 15, 2007

I just wanted to give you a little encouragement. I just finished my first year of teaching (fourth grade)and it was a fantastic year. Next year I will be teaching first grade, so it will be like my first year of teaching again. I am mainly responding to a message from a previous member. Like students, new teachers need to be encouraged. The more confident I feel, the better teacher I am. Innocent comments, like "How do you know you're good at it?" do not help new teachers. I experienced many cooperating teachers and I only had one that made comments like those. They crushed me. Fortunately, I had the best team of teachers for my first year of teaching. They gave me all of the support and encouragement I needed because I was very busy second guessing myself (I didn't need anyone else joining in). When you second guess yourself it limits creativity! We need good teachers like you that love children. The fact that you are on this website seeking help shows that you are a motivated person.

11. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I love the first few weeks of teaching first grade! Yes go over procedures a lot! I always make them think that I need volunteers to be in a skit. For example: I have students show the right way to line up, then I have another set of students show the wrong way. Then we talk about what was right and wrong and what I expect and then we ALL practice the right way. The first two weeks I don't actually try to teach any new academic skills. We reveiw Kinder curriculum while learning the first grade expectations and procedures. In the long run those weeks are not wasted since I can get a whole lot taught quicker in the following weeks because I don't have to constantly stop to correct behavior during lessons or transition times.

12. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Hi! This is my first time posting and I just wanted to tell you good luck with your first year! I just finished my first year teaching in the 1st grade. I enjoyed the experience, but looking back on it I missed out on a lot of fun stuff because I was too worried about what others thought about me or said to me in the past. My university supervisor really made me doubt my abilities as a teacher. Don't let anyone's negative comments do this to you. Keep the attitude that you are good at teaching because it will help you throughout the year. Good luck and don't forget to have fun!!

13. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Thank you for all of your advice and encouragement!!! :)

14. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

CONGRATS and Enjoy

Wow! There is nothing like your first year! I know it will be a scarry and you will have some self-doubt as your year goes on (its natural) Just remember in those unsure times that YOU are good at what you do!! Always think positive (unlike someone elses post) (isn't it funny when people think if they say "no offense but.." or "Don't take this the wrong way, but..." that it gives them a free pass to say anything and your feelings are not expected to get hurt? CRAZY!!)
    Anyway, I have been teaching 1st grade for 4 years and I love it. I am still learning and growing every year. I still get VERY nervous about the first week of school. Just know to be yourself and be there for your students. Good luck and have an AWESOME year!

15. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I agree with Cheer. This will be my 3 year teaching 1st and I love it. I have taught 3rd and 4th, but my heart is in 1st. Think positive and you'll do great. First graders do need a routine and repetition. Good Luck!

16. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

This is my first year teaching first grade too! I am coming from two years of teaching fifth so I know I am in for some changes! The best way to establish routine is to explain, model, practice and be consistent. The first day of school they are going to need a lot guidence. Show them where to put their things, what do they do every morning when they come in, take them for a tour around the school. From what I heard children at this age love their teacher no matter what so don't be afraid to be firm with them and follow through on things you say. You can do this ans still be fun. Good Luck!

17. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

This is my first year in 1st grade also!! From my experiences during the internship semester and Student teaching DEF. start off a little more stern and then ease up. During my internship I was always worried about them not liking me so I was a little relaxed and at the end of the semester when I needed them to listen they didn't. I started student teaching knowing that they will like you no matter what and it is important to be able to control and manage them to be effective and it worked perfectly.

I think it will be a lot different when you are starting your own class and establishing your own rules but that doesn't mean that you won't be good at it or shouldn't be confident in your self. I enjoyed reading your response post :) WTG!! I think sometimes teachers who have been teaching awhile are a little intimidated by the ones who are still energetic and fresh when they should enjoy the new ideas and enthusiasm. GOOD LUCK!!

18. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

Hi, this will be my second year in second grade and this year I will do what the above posters say. TAKE MORE TIME TO PRACTICE ROUTINES! I was so worried about getting in all of the curriculum for a year that I really thought that I couldn't spare those first few weeks....well now I know.....I CAN!!! I also assumed that telling the kids how to do things just a few times would sink in....it didn't. SO---BORING AS IT SOUNDS---Practicing those procedures are tops on my list for this second year! GOODLUCK!

19. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

This almost like my first year in first--I taught first for one semester before going on maternity leave and staying home for two years. Last year I came back to the classroom and taught Kindergarten and decided to move up to first grade this year. I am so excited! I have to agree with everyone else, model and practice routines and procedures. That is so important. One of the things I learned from k was you literally cannot think that they know how to do anything (that came out wrong but you all know what I mean? lol). I believe that is pretty true for first grade also...they have been off all summer, they are end of year k's and they need to get back into the routines and expectations.
    If you are looking for specific ways to introduce routines and rules and different beginning of the year activities, there are many good links to teacher's websites that I have gotten lots of wonderful ideas from. I usually google first grade classroom websites or something like that. You'll find that many teachers will also post links to other teacher sites on their own website. You can spend countless hours pouring through ideas!
    Good luck and you will love it!

20. wal2teach

wal2teach New Member

Jul 26, 2007

New Teacher in First Grade! Help!!! I need a lot of advice

Hello everyone! I am a first year teacher. I will be teaching first grade. School starts in about a week and a half and I haven't received any advice from my school/school district. So, I am reaching out to other resources. I need advice about establishing my classroom routines and using age-appropriate practices. I don't want to under estimate my first graders but I also want to be sensitive to their developmental capabilities. I am especially nervous about the first few days/weeks of school. The students start school on a Wed. so, what do I do ALL DAY for three days? I feel like once we get going, planning lessons and routines will flow naturally. College prepares you for "middle of the stream teaching." They fail to teach you "where to begin." SO, if anyone has any suggestions, advice, websites or other resources, I'm willing to learn from the best! I have created my rules and consequences. I want to use some kind of "signaling" technique (kind of like what Harry Wong suggests). I'm not sure if that will be too much to teach my first year??? I don't want to overwhelm the students! I also want to use centers but I'm not sure how to incorporate them into my daily/weekly schedule. I haven't been given my schedule yet!

Wal2teach

21. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

22. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

First of all, congrats on your new job!! You will love first grade. They are like little sponges at that age and are so literal. The first thing you should do, as far as planning, is decide how you want things to go in your classroom. How do you want them to ask/get drinks? go to the bathroom? line up to leave? come to the floor? Those kinds of things. (Check out a different thread...can't remember the name...I think maybe just procedures or something like that...it's got a great list of procedures to teach. How you do it is up to you.) You need to figure those things out because that is what you will be doing the first few days of school, at least. Definitely read Harry Wong's book...it is great. Another great one is
    The First 6 Weeks of School.

Setting up your room again, depends on how you want your room to run. Do you want the kids to work in cooperative groups (for first grade I would strongly suggest it)? How many kids do you want in a group? You could create little "stations" around your room since you said you would like to incorporate centers. Have a writing area, a reading area, an area to meet with small groups, an area for story time and calendar time. Leave room for your desk even though it will just become a place to store stuff on top of. :lol:

As far as the first couple days of school, all day. Don't worry. You'll be teaching those procedures and getting to know kids by the time you realize it it will be lunch time and then time to go home. You'll fill the time, trust me. Some suggestions for the first days:

*Welcome: have them draw a pic of themselves and a word to describe themself; have them color a back to school coloring sheet; have them color a name tag for their desk

*Circle Time: introduce the calendar and the procedures for that...model and go through it with them; read them a back to school book (First Day Jitters or The Kissing Hand is what I read)

*intro some procedures such as bathroom (take them down to it and show them), getting a drink, lining up, attention signal

*Math: Talk about how the kids got to school today...Did they ride the bus, walk, mom drove them? Make a large graph on butcher paper and give the kids sticky notes. Have them put their name on the sticky note and put it in the correct spot on the graph. Talk
    about the graph. You could do the same with birthdays (some may not know though) or number of letters in their name. If you do the name, the book Chrysanthemum is a good intro to this.

*Intro more procedures such as raising their hand in class and not shouting, getting a pencil or other utensil, staying in their seat while the teacher is teaching (first graders have a hard time with this), etc.

*Reading: show them the materials that they will be using for reading: basal (if you have them), reading folder, independent reading books, book bags, etc. Model and practice what you want them to do during independent reading time, partner reading time, centers/guided reading time. Make sure you model both the correct ways and incorrect. Pick someone whom you think might have difficulty with this and have them model both ways. (I'm sure you'll know who the second they walk in the door.)

*Writing: talk about writer's workshop and the procedures that go with that; make a list of class rules together...let them choose and help them word it so that it is positive...write them on a poster paper and hang in the classroom

Another idea for writing (and this will take days) is to have the students "interview" each child in the class. That child gets to sit in the teacher's chair and the others ask 4-5 questions. You write the answers on poster board in a sentence form. This helps kids see complete sentences using capitals and periods and to answer questions. Display the poster for a few days. You can easily do 2 a day and this takes care of a couple of weeks. I wouldn't do many more than 2...first graders get bored easily. They love this and they all want to be in the spotlight and have the teacher write about them.

*Do a lot of read alouds. There are many great back to school books.

*Take them on a tour of the school: lunchroom (most first graders have never eaten lunch at school unless they were in all day K), music class, library, office (some will get to know them well :rolleyes: ), art class, gym, outside toy (if you have one) that they will be using at recess...go over the recess rules with them as well

*Sometime you might want to go over what to do in a lockdown, fire drill, and earthquake (Where are you? Don't know if you have many earthquakes there but we have some. I think I'm more worried about the volcano though. :eek: )

*By the time you get lunch and recess in, you'll be running OUT of time. :unsure:

As far as the first couple of days, keep drilling those procedures. You want to set a good foundation so that they know the expectations and consequences. Make sure those are clear. Another good activity is to have them draw a picture of one of the rules that they are to follow in the classroom or school.

It will all come together. I always get nervous the first day of school too. But, I go in there with my little list of what I want them to know and do and we get through it. The best advice I could give you is to model and practice. Practice it until they are tired of it or at least until they can show you that they can do it. It will take a good few weeks. Keep reminding them of the rules...eventually they will remember. You will be happier in the long run even though it is very time consuming in the beginning.

Good luck to you and your new adventure! :)

23. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for all the ideas. You guys are great. I am so addicted to this forum. I am sure all of us first years (and grade switchers) will do great because of all the advice found here! Yay for all of you!
    :2up: :clap: :love: :thanks:
    BTW I love these new emoticons. :)

24. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I am not new to teaching, but this will be my first year in 1st grade, and I am second guessing myself on a few things. It's good to know I'm not the only one who is nervous!:unsure:

I have found that the other grade level teacher at my school does things differently than I do, no morning meeting, doesn't do a lot of centers. I like "kids to be kids", and I want to have as many opportunites for fun as I can. I especially treasure morning meetings, and I don't want to give them up. And I am definitely doing centers.

My question is, how much do I "do my own thing" without stepping on toes? If it makes any difference, we have been teaching the same amount of time, just different grades.

25. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Is your principal approachable?
    I have 2 other grade level teachers in my school - one who loves trying out new things/projects/ideas and the other likes to do things the same way she has been doing them for years. Thats how she feels comfortable. Very different approaches. The principal recognized this and said that she's happy for us to try new things, bring in new projects. Her only request is that we at least show the 3rd teacher our ideas and ask her if she'd like to be in on it. This way it allows everyone to do their own thing but doesnt leave anyone out.

26. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jul 26, 2007

The principal said she likes her teams to be balanced, with each teacher having unique personalities, but similar philosophies. Our ideals are definitely the same, i.e. discipline, objectives, etc. I think just our "styles" are very different.

27. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

This is my second year teaching and I will be in first grade again.

One problem I had last year was with classroom management. It wasnt with procedures and routines but more along the lines of discipline. I was not consistent..which I know I will do better this year. What I am unsure of is when do I start using pulling sticks(my behavior chart)? Students start back on friday and come back tuesday so do I start enforcing the rules on friday with reminders or do I start on tuesday with pulling sticks when directions/rules broken?

28. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

Teaching mom of 4:
    Thanks for the great ideas for each subject. I cut and pasted them into my "new teacher ideas" word document. Where are you in WA state? I used to live in Bellevue and went to Redmond High. My sister lives in Graham.

29. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

No problem. It helped me get my act together too. I teach in Spanaway, right next to Graham. I used to live in the Tri-Cities (eastern) and then Spokane.

30. wal2teach

wal2teach New Member

Jul 27, 2007

Thank you so much for your advice!!!! I kind of like to see the "BIG PICTURE" first and then work out the tiny details. So, your advice is a lot of help. I have started working on some of those details but I still have a lot to do before school starts! I don't feel quite so lost anymore... This forum is such a blessing!

Wal2teach

31. wal2teach

wal2teach New Member

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks! Great website with a lot of info...I'm printing it out now!

Wal2teach

32. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Every year, I remind myself to be stern at the beginning... it's hard though! I remember calling my mom on my first day of my first year (3rd grade) telling her how well-behaved my students were and how much I could just tell I would love them, they were such good listeners, etc. I felt like since they were so good, I didn't have to be stern with them... obviously my class was the cream of the crop and somehow all the really great kids got put into the new teacher's room!
    The honeymoon ended quickly! Once the novelty of a new school year and a new teacher wore off, the students stopped being perfect little angels, and became normal students. By that time, it was too hard for me to change their perception and make them see me as someone who meant business. I still loved them, and now I wouldn't trade that experience for a first year with a bunch of perfect little angels--but I did save copies of all the notes home, principal referrals, etc. in a folder labeled "When you think things couldn't be worse..."

33. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

1st year teacher,

Yu may have to give us some general background info on your management plan. Its wierd that they start on a Friday. I would just enforce the rules fo rthat first day and let everyone earn a small treat so they can feel what it like to do well...discipline wise, then on Tuesday refresh their memory (remember on Friday the things I said you might have to pull your stick for...) Then on Tuesday you can explain and implement the management idea and as well provide CONSTANT reminders.

34. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

my management plan is a chart titled "how was your day". I give a verbal warning on any behavior not following a rule. continued misbehavior the student has a stick put into their pocket. 1 stick=5 minutes of recess and so forth.

35. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Welcome kgardner!!!:D
    I am a first year teacher too! I am really excited but nervous as well. First of all, Congrats for coming here and asking questions, that is the first step and it shows that you will be a Great Teacher. Just be sure to ASK, ASK, ASK and there are some GREAT people here to help you out if you have questions. Just wondering if you have had any district training yet? We just started ours this week. It was great information on classroom management tips and tricks, curriculm overview, and they gave us our pacing guides. They also mentioned what our first day of school might be like. I was really concerned at first because I had no pacing guide and I was trying to figure out how many days do I spend on procedures and fill-ins before starting the pacing guide, so going to the workshop helped a lot. have you been in your room yet and looked it over?
    My first day of school will begin with meeting each child outside the classroom with their guardian to find out how they will be getting home i.e bus, walk, pick-up? note this somewhere so you can refer back to it once you have the kids line up to go home. Next, you can read a story like the first day jitters, and talk about how it feels to be at school on the first day, next you can do a writing project or some other fun activity(color, sing song w/ body movements, etc.), you can do your calendar to review the first day of school(this can be your math), days of week, months, days in school, weather and such, then you can also talk to them about your rules (behavior), reward system, homework, where they put their backpacks and coats, where they are to turn in their homework, and such. I plan on taking them on a school tour. Many of my kids will be from our kindergarten, but just to review. Also you can take them to the bathroom, and discuss proper behavior wash hands, no playing etc...Then you can talk about where they line after recess (your door, on playground...) You can also talk about proper behavior during lunch time (how they will get their food, clean up mess, and be good in lunchroom, no yelling, or playing etc.)
    So as you can see PROCEDURES, PROCEDURES all the way through the day with fill-ins of books and mini projects just to familiarize them with your room and the school. You don't want to startle them the first day, so take it easy and have fun with it. Usually no lesson work on the first day, but make sure because our district is different.
    You could also show them at the end of the day how they will get their homework folder, and line up(maybe if called by indiv. name, table, or by how they will go home pick up,bus,walk home, bike and such. These are some of the things I was familiarized with but not really in any order. Do what you want to do and leave the rest. Most importantly, find out who will give you your pacing guides and they will guide you through your next couple of days. Talk to other first grade teachers there. (Veteran teachers are the best and you are sure to find a teacher who will put you under her/his wing and help you along the way until you become comfortable. I actually haven't met mine yet, so I am really looking forward meeting them next week at our meeting). Our actual lesson 1 of our curriculm begins is on the second day of school, so I was really happy. Just remember to keep practicing procedures for the next two weeks and they will catch on and in no time they will be telling you what they should be doing next. BEST OF LUCK!!!! WISH YOU NOTHING BUT THE BEST ON YOUR FIRST DAY!!!!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!!
    Search the websites as well lots of first grade teachers have posted their classroom procedures and other great ideas.:cool:
    HOPE THIS HELPS!!:2cents:

36. LMM

LMM New Member

Jul 28, 2007

I'm a new teacher this year too and I really appreciate you taking the time to type all of this...it is very helpful!!!!

37. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Your welcome...We all have to stick together, at least that is how I think about it. We are all life long learners. Take Care and Best of Luck.

38. cait21

cait21 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

I also want to thank all of you for taking the time helping anyone with questions, whether it be first-year teachers, changing grades, or veteran teachers. It's always important to continue learning. I love this forum. It has helped me soooo much! I am also a first year teaching 1st grade, so good luck to everyone! Yes, WonderW05, we def. have to stick together!
    K Gardner: good for you for sticking up for yourself. I hope my students know that whenever someone doubts them, they must have the strength to know better and believe in themselves. You are going to do GREAT!

39. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

teachingmomof4: thank you!! what a big help!
    I'm also new at 1st grade. I've taught special ed for 2 1/2 years. There are so many different things that I have to consider with general ed. I've never had to start out on the 1st day- usually a couple of days in. I am so excited (but nervous too!)

PS I teach in Tumwater!

40. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Ya know, I don't think it matters so much if you are a new teacher, there are many teachers with years under their belt who are not great at classroom management. I am neighbors with one who is though and I notice she reminds, models, goes over, shows the charts, models, models, models to death! Those kids know exactly what to do for each and every routine she has, and she has a routine specified for everything! Even things I have not thought of. One piece of advice is to ask the principal who in your school is a master of management and then ask if you can watch her for an hour. You'll get a lot of tips that way. I was told by my principals at the beginning of my career that I was not getting 100 % compliance before I moved on to another activity or subject. I learned from my mistakes that if my kids were getting roudy, it was because of me, I was not stopping, reminding them of my rules, praising, asking for someone to model the behavior, blah blah blah. You have to do this dozens of times the first few days before they really know what you expect. Then praise them, or make them redo it when they warrant it. Keep feeling good about yourself. I bet you ARE good teachers!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

41. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 21, 2007

Thank you for all the great advice in this post! I am going into my second year of teaching, but moving from departmentalized middle school to first and I'm a nervous wreck! I'm glad to know other people are a little unsure of themselves, too. Even with 8th graders, MODELING was sooooo important. When you want a behavior, waiting until you get it works, too. I figure... if it works with crazy, hormonal 14 year olds, it better work with 6 year olds! :)