New First Grade Teacher

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by jennabar, May 10, 2007.

1. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 6, 2007

Here are some poems.

I use my triple hole punch lots, scissors—large pair that fit your hand, sticky notes, slid loc baggies, dry erase markers, Ink pad and stamp = Property of your name. Mark your name on everything you buy, if you move to a different room or different district you know what you bought with your money and so does everybody else. Stickers are cheapest at the dollar stores, just keep looking at different times. Sewing kit for a dollar (thread and needle), some safety pins. Read: First Day Jitters by Julie Dannenbu and “Kissing Hand” and activities for first day a must.
    Make a file folder for each student, document lessons not turned in, Keep ALL notes from home and copy of your reply, copy of e-mails. When a student is punished for whatever reason (talking and misses 2 minutes of recess time ---have student write down why they were punished and how --put in the file folder. Also keep the original copy of spelling test --send a copy home. Can’t erase and change) This will save you problems. Have parents fill out an informational sheet for you. Keep in the students file folders. “Please help me get to know your child” http://teachers.net/mentors/primary...4.05.20.08.html Is a copy of a form. I would add child’s birthday. Who to call if parents can’t be reached.
    These ideas have all been shared with me. I don’t take credit for any of the ideas. I love them all and hope they help you get started on the best year ever.
    Partners
    I dreamed I stood in a studio
    And watched two sculptors there.
    The clay they used was a child’s mind
    And they fashioned it with care.
    One was the teacher; the tools used
    Were books and music and art
    One, a parent with guiding hands,
    A gentle and loving heart.
    Day after day the teacher toiled
    With a touch both deft and skilled.
    The parent labored side by side
    And all the values filled.
    And when at last their task was done
    They looked at what they’d wrought
    The beautiful shape of the precious child
    Could neither be sold or bought.
    And each agreed it would have failed
    If one had worked alone.
    For behind the parent stood the school,
    And behind the teacher, the home.
    You are your child’s first and best teacher. My goal is to build a partnership with you this__________grade year and together we will continue to help your child grow and develop in all the important areas in their lives. Socially, Emotionally, Physically and Intellectually….

2. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 6, 2007

I spent the day at my new school. A 2nd grade slot opened after I was hired, so the principal decided that since my student teaching was done in a 2nd grade class she would place me there. I guess I'll have to quit this 1st grade teacher club. :eek: ;)

3. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 6, 2007

Hey, any job is better than no job! But you will like second grade. They are much more independent, and have a good sense of humor. Why the major career switch? Did you do Troops to Teachers?

4. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 6, 2007

I really enjoyed my 2nd graders, so I am actually pretty happy with the switch. No, I wasn't a Troop to Teacher. (That is a FABULOUS program.) I sold my business 6 years ago and went to work for the new owners on a 5 year deal.
    It's hard to work for someone when the business and customers were once yours. People don't want to listen and learn from your mistakes. They try to reinvent the wheel on a daily basis. It was fun, but it was time to move on.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2007

Be ready for anything

Way to be flexible DaveF!! In Illinois, my certificate only allows me to teach pre-k to 3rd. But I heard in the city schools, if they really need you, principals will bump you up to 8th grade.:eek:

When I was on the West Coast, I taught kindergarten, and mentioned to my principal that I would be interested in higher grades. After Christmas break, she walked up to me on the playground(yeah, we can hang outdoors during the winter in L.A), and said, "You said, you wanted higher grades right?" Uh, yes, I replied. "Good, starting next week you will have ESL (Spanish) Second Grade."

I went from learning letters to learning consonant blends! And I had to use SRA Open Court Reading with below-level/non-English learners!:confused:

Hey, that's my new thread...anybody out there using Open Court Reading?? Like it, hate it, take or leave it?

Master Pre-K

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 7, 2007

Don't miss mrachelle87s post under "Designing a Unit for 3 Little Pigs.
    She rewrote the "Three Little Pigs and students use their individual clocks to show her what time it is. It's awesome.

7. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 7, 2007

I start the year with lots of activities to keep thier little bodies moving! Lots of movement will help keep them from getting antsy, whiny, and in trouble. Have then clap, stomp, snap, smack hands or desks or knees, hop, surf, swim, or karate chop words and sentences. Use music hands-on as much as possible. Once you get past that initial back to school wiggliness, you can move on to more challenging activities. I definitely use centers. A timer can help with smooth transitions. It is easly to loose track of time. Just have plenty ready to do because they can gobble up some activities in 5 minutes.

8. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 7, 2007

FYI, I added a new "Open Court" thread under elementary education

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 7, 2007

You all need to organize your ideas and activities. You won't have time to go through files on the computer or stacks of printed sheets. You will need more than what you think for K and First graders.

File cabinet or cheap file box from Wal Mart. My first file cabinet came from a thrift shop only five dollars. It wasn't much, but I still have it in the basement for an extra.

File folders Green=science, Red=Reading, Yellow=Spelling, Blue =Math, make sub folders and Holiday folders, Beginning of school letters to parents. Put copies of letters, Introduction, tour permits, student information, pre test (these kinds of letters you want to put in clear pocket protectors. You can see them at a glance and they will stay in perfect condition in a three hole notebook.
    You need a notebook for each student. To put the student data sheet in it, pre test, notes from parents and a copy of your response, any papers you might want to share at parent conference.

Start a class photo album. Put it out at each parent conference and parents will enjoy looking at it if you are running behind on time. A digital camera is great to have.

When you have a special treat leave a cupcake, or whatever for the janitor. Be sure and remember the person that cleans your room at Christmas with a gift like what you make to give to the parents.

When you are doing something special, like putting on a skit and having a simple treat, popcorn or whatever invite the person in charge, at our school it is the principal to come. Maybe after studing about butterflies, invite the principal to come drink juice, nectur, like the butterfly, juice in a pouch with a straw stuck in. Leave a packet of juice for the janitor and tell her that the students enjoyed the juice and a baggie with some popcorn and a note telling her you appreciate her keeping your room clean. You can make a card and it will be great practice for the students to sign the card and practice writing their names in a fun way.

10. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 8, 2007

My principal just called, she really wants me to teach 1st grade. can I get back in the club??? Pretty please. :sorry:

11. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 8, 2007

I say there's strength in numbers! Hang on tight to that yo-yo, hopefully you're stuck in 1st grade;)

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2007

Keep your Receipts!

Gee DaveF, I hope you didn't go out and buy alot of 2nd grade stuff!

Stay on your toes...This principal may soon volunteer you as sponsor of the Science Club!

:)

Thanks for the info New2FL, I added a new post here on Open Court. I've hung out in the elementary room a few times, but they got way over my head!

Master Pre-K

13. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 8, 2007

I did buy a few things. I'll just take them back or exchange them. Science Club...hmm... I hope she hasn't thought about that.:D

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2007

and chess team!

Yeah, I once subbed for a school who loved me so much, they would pay full amount for a 1/2 day.:wow:

I covered a class, and the principal said, "You are so good, I am sending you this other class too." Uh, are you sending me a second sub paycheck??

Then I covered a class and the same principal said, "You know she does after school, right?" It's okay, I'll pay you for it." I stayed until 5:45 p.m, just to watch 8 kids, and the high school volunteer did everything, even disciplined the troublemakers. I got an extra $90 for that!

Finally, the same principal said, "This teacher will be out for awhile, can you do the Christmas play too?" Two weeks of rehearsal, after school practice and the show was at 7pm." Lots of change for my stocking!

Don't say I didn't warn you...:p

15. stilllearning

stilllearning New Member

Jun 11, 2007

Hescollin,
    I am not sure how to find the unit design you referred to in a previous posting about the Three Little Pigs. How do I find it?

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

More Pig Stories

Hi Still Learning,

There are a few other versions that are sure to please your class. There is the True Story of the Three Little Pigs, sorry..don't know the author. A real cute one is the Three Little Wolves, and the Big Bad Pig. Wish I had the complete name. Will get back to you if I find it.

Master Pre-K

17. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Sounds like you've had some great suggestions! Congratulations on your new job! You'll love first grade. I cannot stress how important it is to practice and implement routines and procedures starting the first day for students in PK-1st. They need it!

18. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

You guys all have some great ideas. I just got offered a 1st grade position today and I am soo excited! Keep all the good advice and ideas coming!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2007

Congratulations CareBear!

This is great news! Maybe you guys can start your own forum...First Time First Grade Teachers!! Maybe DaveF and New2FL can start you off!

I still stick to my same song...

Discounts, discounts, discounts!!!

If you don't ask, they won't tell ya! Most places will accept your offer letter, others want wait until you get your I.D. Keep asking...it will be too late to shop for good stuff by then!

:)

Check out the carpet stores for remants and sample squares. Great for sitting kids sitting on the floor, reading corners, etc.

Did anybody mention Mailbox Magazine??? :confused: It's getting late, I probably missed it. If not, best investment you can make!!

Master Pre-K

20. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 14, 2007

Haha yes! I will def. be doing a lot of shopping this summer! I'm excited to be able to get all the great discounts for being a teacher! We have an awesome bookfair here too where the books are dirt cheap. I'm excited now that I can actually go and know what Im looking for instead of buying random things. Of course I dont have a lot for 1st grade so I'll be spending lots of money :)

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2007

save receipts

Don't forget it is a tax deduction. Educators expenses can be written off!

Some schools give you a budget check of $25-40 every year. Of course, when the school gives you money, they expect that stuff you buy to stay in the classroom. Tempers flare when people move up/down grade levels, and they can't take their prized possessions.

Sounds silly, but you do have to label everything...just like the kids!

When I was a sub, I noticed other teachers 'shopping' in my classroom. Claimed they were just putting something back. :( I felt bad, until I realized they probably do this all the time when people are absent.

If you don't have a locking closet. Make sure you take your stuff home every year! No matter how safely you wrap and store it, can't trust it to be in one piece or where you left it when you return.

22. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2007

Oooh, that's what I'm doing,taking everything home. Then over the summer I clean out some of my files,and straighten them. When the new year starts, you might want to replace/fix some things before you bring them back.

23. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 15, 2007

This is so sad, but all too true. When I went in at the end of the school year to meet the teacher I will be replacing, she told me to clearly label all the stuff she left behind with my name, b/c teachers who knew she was leaving were already "shopping" through her stuff. She was kind enough to claim it and leave it for me.

24. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 15, 2007

Go to the top of this page in the corner box AtoZ Forums type. Designing a unit on the Three little pigs. click and it will take you to the messages and scroll down until you find the story.

If you can't find it PM me with an e mail address that I can attach to, as I saved it and will share it with you

25. Crys68

Crys68 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I'm a new 1st grade teacher too!!!!

I get to join the club! Just got an offer last week and found out last night I will be teaching 1st grade!! YIPPEE!! Let's try to share some stuff!!

Chris

26. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Welcome to the club! It seems to be the fastest growing club on A-Z:)

27. precious angel

precious angel Companion

Jun 25, 2007

You all have presented some lovely ideas. I will be teaching 1st grade this coming school year. I have been preparing myself by viewing different threads on this site and researching 1st grade classrooms. I'm so happy that I came across this site because I have learned so much. I have learned more from visiting this site than what I was taught in school. Thanks again!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2007

well, wish you all luck..today may be my last post for awhile...back to school tomorrow.

see you guys on the weekend!

29. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

I think it would be GREAT if we could get our own.. First year in 1st grade forum!! It would be very helpful for preparation and also throughout the year :)

30. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2007

You could start your own thread! 07/08 First Year First Grade Teacher Forum!

31. crf_tuestacr

crf_tuestacr Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

idea for classroom organization

I got this idea from a first grade teacher. She uses a notebook called B.E.A.R notebook. B.E.A.R = being equipped and responsible

I will explain how it is made and what it's for.

This is how it is made:
    I make my BEAR books using 1 1/2 inch poly binders, loose leaf, pencil cases, pocket folders and page protectors. I also buy all of my labels at Dollar Tree. I use a red folder for important notes from school, a yellow folder for homework and a green folder for super duper work to keep. In the page protectors I put the school year calendar and a monthly calendar and a letter explaining the BEAR binder. I use construction paper to create a divider for the parent teacher communication part. I put 5 sheets of loose leaf paper in that section. I use a behavior chart from the Mailbox magazine for their weekly report. Currently the Mailbox Companion has a version of it available on line if you are a subscriber.

This is the letter that I send parents explaining the B.E.A.R notebook
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

The B.E.A.R.. notebook contains the sections listed below. Entries are made daily so please look at all of the sections, especially the Parent/Teacher Communication section. Please see that your child returns this notebook daily.

Monthly Calendar/Yearly Calendar

The calendar will have important dates and reminders of special events at our school, birthdays of our children, and other important information.

Parent/Teacher Communication

This is the notebook paper inside the B.E.A.R. binder. This will be for notes between you and me. Please stress to your children that this is ONLY for your teacher and parents to write in. I will be writing notes to you in this section and looking for communications from you there. Please check daily and I will do the same for communications from you. I would also ask that you leave any notes that we may write in the notebook so that we can look back and remember any communications we may have had. This will help me remember what we've discussed and when we discussed it. Also, please remind your child to tell me when there is a note in the notebook from you. I try to check it regularly, but occasionally we get busy and a note goes unread.

Super Duper Work to Keep

This folder will contain super duper work done by your "smart brained kid." Please remove it nightly and discuss it with your child. After you have "oooed and ahhhed" over it, I'm sure you'll want to show off this work on the refrigerator. ENJOY!!!

Important Notes/Absentee Excuses

This folder will contain any notes from school, notes from our Principal, school district as well as classroom information, etc.

This folder is also for sending excuses to school when your child is ill. If a doctor has seen your child, please send notification of that as well.

Homework

This folder will contain homework papers. Please return them in the same pocket. Your child will also have reading homework on a nightly basis. This will be separate from the B.E.A.R.. notebook, since not all first grades use this system.

Weekly Behavior Chart

This section will have a copy of a weekly behavior chart. I will fill in the chart on Fridays according to the behavior of your child for the week. Please be sure to sign the chart each weekend. I will check charts on Mondays.

Money Pocket

Inside the binder is a pencil case. Use this case to send in lunch money, book orders, money for field trips, etc.

Specials Schedule

You will also find a copy of our specials schedule for quick reference.