NEW FIELD TRIP IDEAS NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by edukidds, Oct 10, 2006.

1. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

Hello, I am looking for some new and creative field trips to take Pre-K (3 and 4 year olds) kids on!
    FYI: I teach in the suburbs of Chicago. Thanks in advance for YOUR great ideas!:D

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 10, 2006

Not sure which suburbs you're in... but have you tried the Kohl Children's Museum in Glenview? It's FANTASTIC... all kinds of hands-on stuff. My PreK Spec. Ed kids LOVED it last year, as did our "typicals"! (There's also a good one in Naperville, if that's closer to your area)

Have you done the Zoo (Brookfield or Lincoln Park) There's a petting zoo in I think Naperville that's small but pretty cool... i'll look it up if you need the name. Blackberry Farm is in Aurora, it's pretty neat.

Pumpkin Farms are popular in Oct; there are LOTS.

Morton Arboretum (Lisle; they have a GREAT new children's garden) or Willowbrook Wildlife Park (obviously Willowbrook).

Not so sure on south suburbs, but not sure if that's what you need.

What have you done in the past?

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

We have a children's museum that is fabulous. Do you have something like that? What about the Shed Aquarium? Is there is zoo near you? Planetarium?

5. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

I am new to Pre-K this year.

The past 2 years I taught in Chicago, so we did the Lincoln Park Zoo, Pretend Town, and an Apple Orchard.

So far this year, we have gone to the Children's Farm and we plan to go to Pretend Town, Lincoln Park Zoo, and the Shedd.

I presently teach in the SW suburbs of Chicago.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 12, 2006

There are lots of community/professional theater groups that do shows aimed at kids. I think we're going to one sometime in the winter, all I know is it's in the city, but you might be able to look in to that.

7. Sanne

Sanne Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

What about a nature walk in a park? Give out assigments with things the have to find. Sort of like a treasure hunt. Make a route and hang up arrows in trees, or letters so they have to create a word. You'll need help from parents but it is so much fun!

8. mrod

mrod Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Have you tried the Children's Museum at Navy Pier. The first monday of every month children can get in for free. There is also all the pumpkin and apple orchards around the areas. Look into the chicago public libraries they have storytime and art activities during the week for 3-4's for free. Chicagoween just opened at the Daley Plaza that's fun I went there last year with my kids and saw the acrobats. There's alot of things that are available especially this month, check out chicagoparent.com and go to the fairs and festivals button and you'll find a ton of activities, or outings whatever you want to call it.

9. mrod

mrod Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Also, the Chicago International Children's Film Festival starts on the 19th they featuring 220 films from 20 different countries. There is a very small fee per child, but the website is cicff.org

Enjoy:)

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 13, 2006

What are your themes? Try some field trips related to that. It's a good motivational/educational experience to tie it in with what you are already teaching/exposing them to.

11. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Oct 14, 2006

Some of ours, tied with themes-

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts for the Five Senses
    Fire Station in October
    Local elementary school's Thanksgiving Play (any local children's theatre is usually good)
    Christmas tree farm
    Local grocery store/pizza place/post office/library, etc when we do All Around Town
    Pick Strawberries in spring
    Local beekeeper visit in spring

That's off the top of my head!