NEW Emotionally Disturbed Teacher! HELP!

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by mandy0316, Aug 28, 2006.

1. mandy0316

mandy0316 Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I will be teaching an ED class of wonderful 9th graders starting next week. I am scared out of my mind. What should my first day look like? Any ideas? What are some good consequences/rewards for 9th grade? Any tricks anyone have? ANY IDEAS?! I just need some guidance, as I am SCARED OUT OF MY MIND!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2006

Hi and welcome!

YOu're not emotionally disturbed-- you had me worried for a minute there!

Pour a large pitcher of iced tea and start reading. There are a zillion posts here that can help you. You'll read lots of conflicting points of view (For example, I will not be playing any get to know you games with my kids; other teachers with the same amount of experience swear by them!) But there's a wealth of info. Take notes on anything that sounds interesting; there's no way you'll remember it all. Then, go for a walk in the rain, come back, and formulate your own rules and consequences.

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 28, 2006

You might want to have a student store in your class. If they improve their behavior or do their work they get a reward. Is your school giving you reward money to use? Check if y9ou can use food items. CD's and school supplies are also good ideas. You might have a Student of the Week or have a raffle in which you give ticets to reward good behaviors. Lee Canter's Succeeding with Difficult Students is a ggod book to get with this group. The first thing you need to do is establish rules and procedures. You might also have a time-out area in your room where the kids can go if they are upset. You will have to deal with their behaviors before starting your curriculum. Get together with the other special ed. teachers in your school. You should also find out if your school or district gives some type of crisis management training. Yoiu will have one or two aides to help you deal with the behavior. They should discipline the children and monitor the behavior while you teach. Make sure you let them know that. You will be fine. I was an ED teacher for 4 years. Terry G.

5. proudliberaldem

proudliberaldem Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

First of all you are asking the right questions, therefore you are not emotionally disturbed :rolleyes:

Plan out your behavior management system carefully. Look at their IEP's and behavior plans. Lay out your room. Look at traffic flow. Make a quiet area for cooling off. Make sure it is visible to you from all areas of the room.

On the first day, be very clear about your classroom's structure. Talk to them about the quiet area. Explain that is a place to calm down and avoid being in trouble. Make sure they know that if you are asking them to go there, that they are not going to be in trouble. Also let them know that they can ask to go there if they feel themselves getting ready to let lose.

Do this now so that when behaviors occur, you have already established the plan with the kids. It's easier to bring the situation down if they know what to expect.

Also remember to laugh often and locate the nearest Friday happy hour spot...you're going to need it!

Please ask if you have any more questions.

6. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

Oh, PLEASE ! What do you think will happen? It's not like they will pull a knife on you. lol I would be more afraid to teach a reg classroom these days than a special one.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 29, 2006

Mandy I don't teach upper grades.
    I teach the opposite end of the spectrum. I have had ED kids though. At the age I teach I can usually pick them up with one arm so it is a tad different. I guess be prepared to hear language that will shock you and don't act shocked-- don't break up fights despite what your instinct says you won't be covered if an issue happens. Some ED kids are that Emotionally Distrubed not ALWAYS Behaviorally Disturbed so be prepared to deal with kids who internalize a lot of things etc too...

8. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2006

Good1,

At another site under the SELPA where I teach, the ED students set a couch in the classroom on fire. They were smoking "crack" in the room and the teacher in charge must have been absent at that time. I'm SERIOUS when I say this really happened. A former colleague of mine transferred from that same room because the principal refused to have "criminal charges" against the student for using a "crack-pipe" on the school bus. She was fed up with the lack of teacher support. If people think some of these students are totally "misunderstood", then try teaching at that site my colleague used to work.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher

9. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

Try being a special ed student trying to get an education.
    I'll tell you the story of a friend of mine.

Her son had some real winners as teachers, asst teachers and asst principals in middle schhol.

In 6 grade.
    He had a teacher that would take off one of their shoes, and put it in what she calls "shoe jail", if they don't have what they need each day at school. My friend's son has a bad foot and shouldn't be trying to walk around with one shoe on and one off. She also had him write 6 pages (back and front) just because he was talking to another about WWF. Another teacher he had, she would make a point to hurry outside before him to say things. She would say things like .. walk faster, John. Pick up your book bag, John. Don't drag your book bag, John. This is not his real name that I am using. She did this to get to his mom, and to make others look at him, because he only had a few steps to go before he was out the side door to his mom that was waiting on him. The asst principal called my friend to say that her son would have detention if he was late one more time. She ask her, what class is he late to? She said, I don't know, I was told to call you. While she had her on the phone, she told her about the boy that was bothering her son. He even had her son bleeding some. Anyway, she said that he said that he didn't know if he should say anything. Instead of saying something like ..oh, we do not tolerate this kind of behavior, I will have a talk with the guy. She said ..well, at least he knows that much. The Code Of Behavior Book isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Makes you wonder what is there for. Having enough of the mistreatment she and her son was getting from that school, and thinking things would get a little better for them both. My friend put him into another school for 7 grade.

In 7 grade.
    On back to school night. They had their folders on their desk. Her husband opened it and right on top was her son's IEP with her name forged on it.The asst teacher had moved to that school too. Another asst principal played "hide and go seek" with her son's note book. She found out he had it at an IEP meeting. She told that her son can't find his notebook and could he just bring in some paper. It was getting close to the end of the school year. The asst principal (knowing it was his) said, is his notebook blue with red trim? She said, yes. He said, I have it in my office. She said, why do you hve it in your office for? He said, I was seeing how long it would take him to ask me for it. He then went to his office to get it. She said, (trying to keep her cool) could you please give it to him? He said, I have a better idea. Why don't you take it home, hide it in his room, and when he finds it, it will freak him out. Who knows how long the jerk had his notebook. Also, while in 7 grade. His asst teacher was really mean to him. His mom went on a field trip with him, because another mother she knew went too. While on the field trip, she shoved him in the back hard, and told him to walk faster, John. He was walking up to the place to eat right mext to his mother. How is that for being bold? One day my friend was waiting in front of the school for John. She went back to his room to see what is taking him so long. As she turn the corner to go down to his room, she heard BIG TIME YELLING. As she got down to his room, she knew it was her son she was yelling at. She went in to find her son choking back tears, and her over top of him yelling her head off. All while the teacher was talking to someone on the phone. She never did get off the phone when she went in. Not afraid of anything these days. My friend (shooked to see this) said, what is going on here? His asst teacher said, he couldn't tell me what his homework was for Friday well enough. This happened on a Wednesday. Hello Sam ! Did she forget she is teaching special ed? My friend met a lady waiting on her son at the front of the school. She told her that she had moved to her son from another middle school to this one. She said that the reason for moving him, is that, when they give them detention, they make them have it in the restrooms. My friend said .. well, they treat these kids like crap, I guess they think they belong there.

I rather clean someone's potty than mistreat a child, more so, a special one. As for the kids starting a fire. I agree that the principal should have done something, and the teacher (knowing these kids and some not knowing any better) should have made sure that when he/she has to step out of the room, or have a sub that day, to have someone look in on these kids and watch them better. If people would do their jobs right to begain with. Things like this may not happen. Even the high school that my friend's son went to had a fire in the restroom trash can. Her son went in to use the restroom, saw the can was on fire and told some staff member. They ask did he do it. He said, no. I don't do things like that. The guy said thank you to her son. They caught the guy that did it a little later. He wasn't in special ed.

No. It was wrong for them to have being smoking in school cigs or drugs, but how this child was treated, it was a wonder if he didn't start to drink, smoke, or take drugs. I guess he was more smart than they think he is.

10. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 2, 2006

Good1,

I am a former special education student. I have mild autism (Asperger' Syndrome). I was in resource for half of my school year's (approximately 6 years). I'm not ashamed and I have blown up at work when I was in high school too. They refused to understand that people with autism need a sensory-break when we get overloaded, but they didn't care and guess what I felt no pain or sympathy for blowing up. They got what they deserved. They are lucky I didn't sue them for withholding accomodations for my disability.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher (I proudly embrace my own autism)

11. LuvMySunshine

LuvMySunshine Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

The best advice I can give you is to have a sense of humor! I have been teaching in a self-contained ES classroom for 3 years now and I absolutely love it.

Over the past few years I have helped my students learn and they have done the same for me. I've learned so much about patience and understanding.

The most important thing I've come to understand is that most of these kids have a tough exterior which turns off a lot of people. Taking the time to get to know them and to try and understand them...you'll be one of the lucky people who get to see the loveable, sweet side of them!

It's a very rewarding job and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to pm me!

12. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Really !

13. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 5, 2006

So how was your first day Mandy? IS the class getting settled in? I taught a HS ED class my first 2 years of teaching, I would not trade that experience for anything. It taught me to have a backbone with the students very early on but I also found that I was able to loosen up after the 1st month and found the kids came to me with problems they had, which was funny because the first 3 weeks of school they mouthed off to me, complained about my rules, but I really think even though these kids act like they hate the discipline, I also think many of them thrive on it because you show you care as long as you are not demeaning about it. Many of the ED kids get no support at home. I Would love to hear how it is going.

Good1 Your friend should have gotten a parents rights handbook when her child started school, telling her of all the rights she has a parent of a special needs child, so she really should have reffered to that and hired and atty, when her child was in 6th grade. Even if she had not gotten the book or did not remember getting it as she probably was bombarded with a ream of paperwork at her son's initial ARD.

Also when a child changes schools they cannot be officially enrolled with out their old IEP so the new school has to contact the old school and get the child's complete IEP's, everyone he has ever had so that IEP may not have been a forgerey but a copy of her original IEP and she did not realize they would have a copy.

Regardless, after the first incident at the 2nd school she should have contacted the school board or an atty if it was that bad. What was your role in all of this do you work for the school district she was in or are you a teacher at another school? I feel bad for her son, no one should have to go through that but unfortunately in some parts of the US the SPED children are still frowned upon and hidden from the general population and until parents start making some noise about it, nothing will change.

14. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

Parents have, or did, nothing has happen. Nothing ever will happen to make things any better. We are talking about special ed here. Not much help, and a lot less caring people. No, what happens is..when a parent tries to help their child from mistreatment, they try to make it hell on both parent and child. They do this becasue they can. They have no fear of losing their jobs, because they know no one cares about the special ones to try to help. I mean, come on, would you forge a parents name on a students IEP, if you knew you would lose your job?

15. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

Good1 you are obviously not a teacher, or you would realize the strides that have been made in Special Ed and in education. In this day and age it is all about the parents and then the kids, especially in Special ED. IT has gotten so bad that some teachers say what does it matter if the child is not learning if the parent gets their way, their SPecial Ed child will still graduate. Maybe your friend was in a bad district but I have been teaching for 14 years in a few districts and it has gone from being child based to being parent based. You might want to talk with a teacher or get both sides of the story before you automatically assume each of us on the Special Ed boards are out to get and mistreat our students. That is not the case and so far I can count 4 different threads that you have thought we "might be" trying to mistreat our students.

Every child is unique in special ed. All students in SPecial Ed have been evaluated by a team of diagnosticians, therapist, psychologists, OT, Speech therapists etc. to form an initial evaluation of each student in SPecial Ed and then they all meet together once a year to retest each student and devise or revise an IEP and sometimes BIP and they put that into place and after, and only after a parent agrees to this IEP/BIP is it set in place and that is how a child is to be taught by the teachers or reprimanded by the teachers and consequences decided that the child should get if they misbehave.

Like I said before, if your friend had it so bad she should have sued the school districts, many attys will do it for free and collect fees from the schools,. Also, the attorney deals directly with the schools not the parent and I do not know of a school district around here that has been threatened to be sued by a parent that it has not bent over backwards for that child to rectify the problem.

I am sorry if this is harsh, but I was a special ed student and went through the system and now I am on the other side I have seen parents that complain about this and that and do nothing with their child outside of school, they let the schools raise them and complain when their child does not turn out the way they wanted, I have seen parents complain so much that no matter what, their child WILL pass or they will sue the schools, and let me tell you, that there are a thousand attys out there chomping at the bit to sue a school. Finally, I have seen those parents who could not give a rat's a$$. about their kid or their education.

Plus you also have to consider what kind of class was that child in? was he in an ED class,a developmental, class a resource class, or inclusion all those make a difference as to how they will be treated especially if they were in an ED class because although the boy could be right as rain at home, in an ED class there are a ton of influences that cause most kids to act up.

Now, I am not condoning what that principal did or the fact that the teacher yelled at him, but you might also want to get both sides of the story because maybe the boy actually did something wrong to begin with, kids tend to lie about things so they do not get in trouble from their parents.

Finally, I resent the fact that you say, and I quote: "We are talking about special ed here. Not much help, and a lot less caring people. "

I would think every educator and especially Special Ed teachers, would resent the fact that you say we do not care. We put in Hours after school and on the weekends doing things for our students, planning lessons, writing IEP's and modifying work, we fight for our kids in other teachers classes and we do not get paid squat. If I did not love my job, trust me I could be a MOrtgage Broker and make 6 times what I do now, but I choose to teach.

So please, do not lump every educator in the "we are out to get your child" bin and find out all the facts before you spout the injustice of the educational system, sure there a few bad apples out there, but for the most part we are all good people with big hearts as presented here on the forums.

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 7, 2006

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: !

I have been wanting to say something like this for awhile but I have managed to restrain myself...until today...

Good1 I too have seen many of your posts and it appears you are not a teacher and really don't have a right to generalize all of us based on your one experience, which lets face it wasn't even YOUR EXPERIENCE-BUT HEARSAY. I am judging this based on your many flippant comments that make it appear as if you really don't understand special ed or SPED law at all. I am also a sped teacher. I work my @ss off to benefit my students. I teach little ones who are mostly non-verbal. I have to earn the parents trust with their most little precious children who are very unable to care for themselves. I am entering my third year. I have had many parents who I have built relationships with, via calling them, writing them letters, etc in order to have a great experience with their children. After the first week or so of school children's parents are welcome to stay in my class as long as they like as long as they have the proper TB documentation.

I am sure I have more to say but I am probably just wasting my time defending my profession and field. Especially since many of the teachers on this board probably feel the same way I do and have just been "ignoring" for a few weeks...

17. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

All the strides that have been made. Not where my friend lives, honey. No, sorry. It's not all about the parents and kids, or my friend and her child wouldn't have been mistreated like they have.
    As for for teachers saying.. it doesn't matter if they learn or not, they will graduate. Yeah, sounds like something a "bad teacher" would say. Goes back to some are there only for their paychecks.
    Districts have gone from being child based to parent based. Well, I have yet to see one. I might want to talk to a teacher. Ha ha .. that's too funny ! Like they would tell me the truth. Are you trying to say my friend isn't telling the truth? She has a copy of a forged IEP that I have seen. Her name looks like a 90 to a 100 yr old was trying to write. She was trying to copy my friend's name. Very shaky. Why are you so much on the defense side here? I am not talking about anyone on here. If you know that you are (and anyone else on here) a good teacher, and you are doing the best you can (treating the kids/parents right), than you (others as well) shouldn't get so defensive about what I have said or will say on here. I'm not trying to give "all" teachers a bad name. I have told you the truth, if you choose to say or to believe this child did anything to deserve what all he has been through, than I feel sorry for you, and I am wondering what kind of teacher you truly are. Sorry if that sounded harsh. Answer this .. Is it the fault of the student just walking up to get something to eat on a field trip and gets shoved hard in the back by a asst teacher? His mother was there. Was it the students fault that the teacher forged his mother's name on his IEP? Was it the students fault that a asst principal hide his notebook? No ! These good for nothing jerks choose to act this way to him. As for parents not caring for their children. I would say they care more for them then the teachers do. Oh, and for parents not doing things at home with their kids, is a lot of bs. They have to help with homework (sometimes lots of it) that the teachers don't feel like teaching them in school or didn't have the time to. We (talking as a mom myself) don't send our kids to school for someone else to raise. We send them to learn and not be mistreated. We as parents want the best for our kids, like I'm sure you do yours. It's like this .. our taxes pay for our kids to get an education, and as a parent that really loves and care for their child, would like it to be a good one. After all, our taxes are paying for it. Ok, think about it this way. If you spend a lot of money to fix your car do you A. Don't give a frogs fat a$$ if it is fixed right or not, and could give a hoot about the money. B. Expect the job to be done right for the money that you paid. I feel we as parents have a right to complain. I have another question for you. If your child was mistreated in school by any of the staff members, would you believe your child or the teacher? All kids do not lie, but some do. Same goes for the school staff members. So, to say that this kid lied, or did something to cause this to happen is wrong. No child deserves to be badly mistreated in school. Didn't you read what all this child has went through? Maybe more that my friend wasn't aware of. Instead of taking up for the bad teachers. You should have to walk in his shoes for a while. Then and only then will you truly understand. Then just maybe you will see the light, and not always point the finger at the child and say it's his/her fault. Adults act up too. Believe me, my friend has seen it.

18. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

Unrealistic Expectations Cause Severe Burn-Out!

Good1,

You really want to know why so many good teachers get burned out of teaching special education because there are so many demanding parents out there who have unrealistic expectations for their child. I can understand a child with a learning disability or autism or some other mild-moderate disability, but a student functioning at the 12 month level is not going to learn to speak orally and functionally. A student functioning at this level is not going to be properly toilet trained. There are lots of caring and wonderful special education teachers out there and there are a few bad ones in the bunch. We need to stop blaming teachers and take each case individually. Just because there are a few bad apples out there doesn't mean it's a rotten bunch. Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts. :eek:

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher (I proudly embrace my own autism)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  19. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

Let me step on my soapbox one more time...

Let me point out a few things to yet another negative post about teachers from you.

First off None ever said your friend was lying or that the child was lying, it was pointed out a few facts about SPED law and IEP’s and some simple fact that teachers observe in the classroom about their kids, SOME, not all kids lie. SOME, but not all teachers lie.Sure there are a few rotten apples out there, but in what field is there not a few rotten apples? Even the ministry has rotten apples.

Quote from Good1 “I might want to talk to a teacher. Ha ha .. that's too funny ! Like they would tell me the truth.”

That quote in itself proves that you have a negative view towards any teacher and especially Special Ed Teachers.

Try spending a week in a classroom and dealing with the kids, and prepping for an ARD and Attending an ARD. This alone will show you what type of parent you are dealing with. Yes I admit, that about 50% of the parents care for the well being of their children, but what I can also tell you is out of the 138 ARDS my department did last year only 42 parents showed up for the ARDS. We are talking about their childs’ education, what goals we are setting for them in the upcoming years, and planning for their future for life after school, don’t you think this is important? Yes in some instances ,we the teacher are preparing the kids for the future, getting them jobs etc. Heck, I have to actually shower 2 of my kids each day and shave them because mom and dad refuse to, I have even taught some how to brush their teeth, and personal Hygeine and I did that in a resource class, so see, you have to realize, we as teachers see all kinds of kids from all levels of socio economic levels and mentalities.And no not every parent cares about their child. Gee, maybe I don’t care for my students, I think not.

Quote from Good1: “As for parents not caring for their children. I would say they care more for them then the teachers do. Oh, and for parents not doing things at home with their kids, is a lot of bs.”

If I were to find that my child was being mistreated in a school, I would address the principal and if I got no support there I would go straight to the school board and if needed hire an Atty. Along with pulling my child out of school. IF I encountered it in yet another school I would remove my child from that school and sacrifice whatever I could to stay home and homeschool my child while I found a school district that worked for me, why did your friend not do that. And to tell you honestly if I were a parent, never have been a teacher I would be niave enough to believe everything my child told me about a teacher, but having been in the school system I am more apt to talk to a teacher when a problem arises and compare the 2 before I made any rash decisions, because you see I have seen kids lie, no not all of them, but let me tell you the first signs of mistreatment of my child that I witness I would have been in that teachers face so fast she would not have known what hit her. I still do not know the depth of what this mother did to try to fix this problem, but what I can say is I don’t think she did enough to stop it in time, she should have pulled the child from school, dealt with his truant absences and hired a lawyer or taken a personal scacrifice on behalf of her child and moved to a new district, because like I have said before, there are a few rotten apples out there but not ALL schools or districts are like that, in fact I work in an awesome district right now, I have never seen a more caring group of administrators towards Sped.

Quote from Good1:” We send them to learn and not be mistreated.

I have another question for you. If your child was mistreated in school by any of the staff members, would you believe your child or the teacher?”

I think I have stated before and I know ASPIE Teacher has said it before, we have both been SPED students, so we both know what the system is like, so in essence we have walked in his shoes, and I only once had a BAD teacher we had to deal with in my whole educational career and that includes me going through getting my bachelors in College and my Masters.

Quote from Good1:” Instead of taking up for the bad teachers. You should have to walk in his shoes for a while. Then and only then will you truly understand. Then just maybe you will see the light, and not always point the finger at the child and say it's his/her fault. Adults act up too.”

Finally, all teachers are not there for their paycheck and to tell you honestly I am not even sure that some of those rotten ones are there for the paychecks, if you have not realized it Teachers still don’t get paid that much.

Quote from Good1:” Goes back to some are there only for their paychecks.”

Quote from Good1:” We send them to learn and not be mistreated.”

AMEN to that,Sorry your friend had to deal with the mistreatment of her son, but as I said before, 95% of the teachers out there are not out to get any child we are out there to enrich their lives.

Oh I see Aspie Teacher has chimed in while I was composing this: He has an exceptional point about burnout, I experience burnout a few years back and had to take some time off from teaching because of this ( that my dear is a sign of a good teacher, one that knows they have had too much and need a break before they loose it!) , Special Ed teachers have the highest burnout rate of any profession around and a large part of that is due to the fact of all the work we have to do for our job and dealing with parents and sometimes very hard to deal with students, it is not a walk in the park that is for sure.

20. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

:p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D OH, you SO made me laugh--sometimes we all think we must be emotionally disturbed to be in the field we are in! THANKS!

21. Good1

Good1 Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

Ok, then, are you saying that a parent of a non-special ed child has the right to and can be depanding to get what is best for their child, but a parent of special ed child can't? They have to set back and take what ever is dished out (misteatment too). I don't think so. They have just as much rights (should have..anyway) as any other person. Just like the non-special parents, if they don't take a stand to get the best education for their child, and take up for them when they are mistreated, who else will? I don't know why you think I am talking about you or anyone else on here. I really haven't seen you teach or others on here, so how do I know for sure what kind of teachers you guys are? Smile, ok? :)

22. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 15, 2006

I'm not a SPED teacher--just an ol' run-of-the-mill Kinder teacher. But something I tell parents at Back to School Night, courtesy of my own kids' K teachers, is: "If you promise not to believe everything your child says happens at school, we promise not to believe everything they say happens at home!"

Things get said sometimes in the heat of a moment; things may or may not happen as reported. But one thing you can count on is that things are not always as they seem. You can count on kids misunderstanding, parents misunderstanding, and teachers being blamed. I happen to be in a school with awesome parent support, and still, things "happen." And the saga continues. I just happen to believe that, as Giggles has said, if things were (are) so bad, then that parent should take a proactive stance and deal with it at a higher level. It sounds to me like you, Good1, have been the "sounding board" for your friend, for better or worse. It's just possible that there really is another side to those stories. I'd bet on it.