New Elementary Social Worker--Please help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Lemonade4848, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Lemonade4848

Lemonade4848 New Member

Sep 10, 2006

Hi there! I am a new elementary school social worker, and I really need some help. I interned with middle school students, so working with such young kids is a HUGE shift for me. Do any of you elementary teachers have some advice as to any resources that would make this shift easier? Or, do you have any advice or tips for working with this age group that might help me feel less lost? Anything would be greatly appreciated--thank you!

Lemonade4848

3. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Sep 10, 2006

Dear Lemonade,
    When working with small children, K,1,2, stickers and white paper for coloring with new crayons are at the top of most lists. Watercolors where they dip the brush into water, tickle the paint disc and spread the color onto the paper is also a hit. I am sure you have been taught to question them gently as they create and analyze the artwork for signs of disturbance, tension , etc.
    Having a small chart 6" x 6" with their name and a place for good behavior stickers makes the count up to a reward more visible. If they have a good session, they add a sticker. Reward is up to you.
    I'm not sure what else there would be unless you have a program you present to them. maxine

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2006

The Child and Youth Worker at our school started a recess Lego Club (different ages on different grades). This was a huge hit with the kids, and she was able to deal with many social issues during their play.