"new" dog question/vent (long)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scooter503, Aug 26, 2012.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

We are "temporarily" dog sitting for a relative's dog because he's been in and out of the hospital a lot lately. The dog (who's between a year and a year and a half) had been to our house multiple times before this extended visit, but always with the owner. He's been here two weeks with no problems....until this weekend. Late Friday night I caught him peeing in the hallway, and quickly realized he had left a trickle trail down the entire hallway from living room to office (a trail approx. 10 feet long and 4 feet wide). It took us forever to find it all and soak it all up with paper towels (the trails were light enough they didn't leave wet puddle prints on the carpet). We have since put down Pet Fresh Odor Eliminator because we don't want our pets (a dog and 3 cats - who have NEVER had an accident in our house) to start leaving messes.

This afternoon we had company. The dogs were in and out of the house. Just before the last couple left our friend commented that she thought one of the pets had an accident. Sure enough. He had left roaming trails of pee through our entire dining room and into the living room. Luckily, mostly on linoleum this time, so much easier to clean. However, he also managed to pee on the side of my husband's recliner (this dog is fixed and does not lift his leg). I don't understand why he's just starting to have these accidents, and am very frustrated that he pees over such large areas. It would be so much easier to clean up if he just kept it in one spot.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas about why this might be happening (and what we can do to prevent it from happening again). This dog could wind up being with us for quite a while, and with school starting next week, I'm not looking forward to all the extra clean up.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

If the dog hasn't seen his "daddy" recently, I am sure he is missing him terribly.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 26, 2012

Once a dog urinates, it's tough to completely get the smell out. We may not smell it, but as you know, a dog has a very keen sense of smell & can probably still smell a hint of it no matter how good we clean. And urine's a "powerful" liquid, by the way. I've had my 7 yr old dog since he was a puppy & I have my bathroom system that I use, but I recently moved to an apt & I sure didn't want him messing up my apt, so I took a chance & bought Nature's Miracle Pet Block. It's a repellent spray that you spray where you want (indoors or outdoors) & it's suppoed to prevent the dog from urintating wherever you've sprayed it. The scent to humans isn't a bad smell, but I guess it deters dogs. I sprayed the entire indoor perimeter of my apt BEFORE my dog set foot in my apt, to hopefully prevent any urinating in the first place. I've lived here for almost 3 mos now, in which I leave him sectioned off in an area of my apt while I'm gone at work for several hrs & he's NEVER once made a mess. I keep a pee pad in his sectioned area just in case, but he's never used it. I don't know how he can hold it that long, but he does! I also spray again every so often, so the scent stays pretty prominent.

But sorry, I don't know why your relative's dog is suddenly messing up. And by the way, my male dog's fixed too & still lifts his leg.

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

Could he be suffering from a uti? It doesn't sound like it's on purpose since he is leaving a trail.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 26, 2012

My first thought was stress because he's worried about his "daddy", but then you mentioned the trails. I would suspect a health issue. Is it possible to take him to the vet in the morning?

7. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 26, 2012

My dog, who never made a mess in the house, started "trickling" too. Turns out it was a bladder infection; it hurt for her to "go" and she held it until she couldn't hold on anymore. Some meds from the vet fixed everything.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

Ah, yes...trailing is an important detail. Sorry I missed that. I suppose it could still be that he's upset, but I'd take him to the vet.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 27, 2012

I think a vet visit is necessary ... I suspect a bladder problem.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2012

That's good to know in case my dog starts doing this. By the way, hold old is your dog? Mine's now 7 & I hate that he can hold it for SEVERAL hrs about 4-6 days a week! He's had to start doing this for about 3 mos now that I live alone. That's can't be good for the body! :( That's why I leave him a pee pad to go just in case, but he won't use it.

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

I agree about the bladder.
    Make sure to clean up the stains with some sort of enzyme, like Nature's Miracle or Urinase. That will break down the smell instead of just covering it like the Pet Odor Eliminator.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2012

Nature's Miracle is good stuff for, um, women's laundry, too.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Also for potty-training accidents.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 1, 2012

How did this turn out?

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 1, 2012

17. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 4, 2012

Poor puppy had a few more similar experiences this past week (two on Sunday). We were finally able to get him to the vet today (along with all 3 of our cats, who were due for shots). He is being treated for a bladder infection...hopefully this takes care of it.

On a sad note, we are now looking for a permanent home for him....his "daddy" is no longer with us.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2012

I'm so sorry for his (& your) loss, scooter.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 4, 2012

So sorry for your loss.