New Classroom Tour!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Aug 20, 2006.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 20, 2006

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

looks GREAT!! your room is beautiful!! I love all the colors and your theme!!

4. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

Your classroom looks awesome! I especially love the Information Station!... wish I had more tables!

5. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 20, 2006

I LOVE your classroom! So many wonderful ideas. :) I especially liked "The Information Station." It is a cute idea and a great way to keep things organized. Great job! I really enjoyed your pictures.

6. 1stgradekids

1stgradekids Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Rita...I adore your room! It is organized and so colorful. Your students must love being in your room.

I have a question about your Book Beach. I have been collecting many books the past couple of years and now have a bunch of baskets to organize and get on the shelves. Do you organize them by genre or alphabetical by author? I want them to be able to read them, but also want them to be able to put them back in the right basket.
    How do you do it?

Thanks in advance!

7. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 20, 2006

1stgradekids,

I organize by theme (animals, math books, seasonal, etc.) and also by level. Each theme bin has a number on a white sticker and each book has the same number and sticker so the kids know where to put books back. My Accelerated Reader books are leveled and are mixed in with the theme books. My kids who are doing AR look in the theme bins for books that have a colored dot. They know that the colored dot books are AR books. It is easy for them to find AR books even with them mixed in. I have decodable books in another section of the room, under the windows. These are purely decodable with a few sight words and are organized by letter instead of number. I have another section for chapter books as well.

8. 1stgradekids

1stgradekids Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

ok great. Thanks. I think the number thing is exactly how I will do it. I thought about labels on each book that match the name on the bin, but the numbers seem much easier. I already have them divided out by theme.
    Thank you for your help!

9. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

Great pics!!! The only "error" that I saw was in your info about the reading area under the umbrella. You wrote that it was made by your dad and was two-sided. I am thinking that there needs to be a hyphen between two and sided.

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2006

Rita it looks great! Where did you get the cute chairs under the umbrella?

11. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Thanks, everyone. :)

TeacherRW, I will fix that! Thanks!

Rosieo, I got them at Walgreens for $3 each!

12. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2006

Thanks Rita...I will stop there tomorrow to see if the one by me has any!

13. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Your classroom is absolutely adorable! Everything is so organized and eye-catching. It seems like you have a really large classroom. My goal this year is to make my classroom more cutesy. It is my third year teaching so I have the actual teaching down pat and now I'd like to spend more time on decorating and organizing. I would love to snap my fingers and have your classroom!! :)

14. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Miss J,
    My room really is not that big! All of the rooms at my school are the same size and everyone who walks in thinks it looks huge! I've moved everything a gazillion times and have figured out how to utilize the space.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 20, 2006

Your room is pretty similar to last year's! I really like your theme and how you incorporate it throughout your classroom. This year is my very first theme- and I am still learning from the "pros". :D

16. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Ms. Jasztal, it is similar to last year because I liked it and didn't want to change to much! However, you can't tell in the picture, but I actially moved my doorway. We have movable walls. I was able to move everything down, so I have lots more space on the side of the room by the whiteboard. It made a huge difference!

17. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 21, 2006

It's gorgeous! I'm so jealous that you have ELMO!!! I used it briefly in the past and it was such aa essential tool for teaching! I have to use an overhead this year!!! Bummer!