new classroom smells--help!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Lindsnh, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 10, 2009

I swapped classrooms for the new school year and the teacher who had the room before me loved scented plugin's she left them behind and there was a total of 4 yes 4, In one classroom. I cannot stand the scent, and now that I have my classroom set up I want to get that smell out of there. I am not much for heavy scents b/c they aggravate my asthma/allergies. The carpet has been shampooed and I worked in my classroom all this week pretty much all day and opened the windows yet still the scent is there. Did I mention the plug were tossed out the first week in June. Help! Does anyone have any suggestions. I dont have the $$ to go any buy one of those air cleaners.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

I'd wipe down all the counters, cabinets and with a solution of baking soda, Dawn, and hot water. I'd use Febreeze before I left the room on any surface it can't ruin. I'd leave the door open.

Next time, if you still smell it, but to a lesser degree, I would do that again. Is there a scent you like? Maybe one of those scented oil burners would help just for an afternoon.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2009

I like Febreze better than all the other sprays. I just spray the air, though. Leave out a dish of baking soda and a dish of white vinegar. Put crumpled up newspaper in the insides of any closets and cupboards.

I hate those heavily scented plug-ins, too.

5. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 10, 2009

No its not a scent I like, its a very heavy perfume scent

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Oh I was thinking of the fabric Febreze. They have a great smelling air spray called Air Effects Clean and Fresh.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

No I meant is there another plug in scent you would like.

I am sorry this is happening. I remember some sick cherry smell in an office I inherited once.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

Using scents is a big no no in my school district. Too many children, and for that matter, teachers, have allergies. I would try spraying Lysol (an unscented version) over the surfaces.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Open all windows and doors and get as many fans in there as you can. Some drawing in fresh air and some facing out the window shoving the stinky air out. Those plug ins are supposed to be a fire hazzard - I'm surprised they were allowed.

You could get a small crockpot - those tiny ones - and fill it with hot water and cinnamon and let it simmer all day to cover up the other smell. How about that?

10. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jul 10, 2009

You can also use one of the little crockpots and fill it with baking soda and water - and turn it on - it will absorb some of the smells in the air.

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

Good Luck! I wish I had posted my smell problem here last year. I will have to pass this on to the new teacher who will have my room next year. I had the room where all the wild animals lived. Under my room at the beginning of the year a wild weasel killed and only partially ate something and then rabbits moved in. My room always smelled of dead animal or dirty rabbit cage.

12. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

May I ask why your district did not deal with this smell? I know my school would have called in someone special to deal with such a problem and if they hadn't my union would have gotten involved. I'd call this unhealthy work conditions. Also, I know the parents of my students would not have allowed it either.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

My dog , DeeOhGee, said she would be glad to change the smell in your room. since moving she has had a number of "accidents" in my son's house.
    if there was THAT smell I am sure the district would "clean" the room

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

maybe you should find out why she used them maybe there is a worse smell being covered

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Dave, where did you move?

16. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

All of my furniture for the first year of teaching smelled like rat urine since it came from a warehouse where the rats lived. I was supposed to have all new furniture but a grant fell through and they forgot to tell my principal about it, so I showed up and had nothing in my classroom. We had to go to ratland and pick out old nasty furniture.
    I too have the problem with allergies and not being able to handle smells, but I am not very domestic; I would recommend listening to the ideas from these posters as well as googling how to get rid of powerful smells. I really hope you can get rid of it! Maybe something orange scented--that can kind of overpower other things. You could get one of those industrial strength air fresheners or something.

17. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

The district did know. But everytime they thought they had solved the problem the rabbits found another way under the building. We are in permanent portables. I was in there about a week ago and for once there was no ugly smell. So the teacher who will get my room next year should be ok.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

I am surprised that the plug in scent things are allowed in schools. Day cares can not use them. Ask your maintenance staff for help. There are methods of removing smoke smells from rooms, so there should be something out there for you.

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

North Carolina
    I am going to Babysit while my Daughter in Law is deployed

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

Good to see you again Dave! Are you with Haley?

:hijack:

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

She does not get home from KS till first week in Aug

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

From an internet site:

The air purifying effect of the green plants was studied extensively by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, when developing life support systems for space stations. The research has shown that many common house plants can clean air from toxic gases, such as formaldehyde, benzene, volatile organic gases (VOG), and others.

For example, the spider plant and golden pothos clean air from carbon monoxide. The infamous formaldehyde, which is emitted everywhere by plastic items, particle board or pressed wood furniture, carpeting and construction materials, can be reduced by ficus, aloe vera, fig trees, spider plant, and elephant ear philodendron. VOGs can be absorbed by the banana tree.

House plants are particularly effective as a living air purifier in enclosed spaces, such as some kitchens.

Finally, note that not all plants are good as indoor air cleaners. Many house plants can actually be toxic themselves. Examples of toxic plants include nightshade, creeping charlie, foxglove, oleander, sago plant, privet, rhododendron, umbrella plant, ivy, ripple ivy, sweet pea, vinca, spider mum, and poinsettia.

I had two spider plants in a new house that I had bought to get rid of chemical odors.

23. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 11, 2009

The baking soda and vinegar should help. Another thing I have done is to leave dishes of ammonia around the room. Don't know how it works, but it helps.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I had 6 boxes of baking soda in my classroom - the new paint smell made me sick to my stomach everyday!

Is it a carpeted classroom? It may have permeated the carpet.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I'll ask again ....... maybe you should find out why she used them in the first place maybe there is a worse smell being covered

I taught in a portable for a few years a cat had died underneath it, and because of the dry temperatures it would only smell after a rain (only about 5 times a year, most of the rain was when we didn't have school)

26. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I am right there with you. I too cannot handle heavy perfume odors. Our school is the sight for skunks. Ewwww. One of the portable or "learning cottages" was where the skunks always went. Mine was next to it until I moved into the building into a regular classroom. But, to clean and freshen my room, I washed everything with a unscented cleaner. I prefer baking soda and lemon juice and lots of water. I turned on the fans and opened the windows and door. Throughout the year, I would let the kids clean their desks with a nice shaving cream. That helped too.
    Good luck with your room. You might also do as IrishDave said find out if there was another reason why the previous teacher had so many of the plugins.

27. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I always have plug ins in my room (It doesn't bother my allergies or asthma, and in 6 years it hasn't bothered a student). My principal hasn't ever said anything about it, nor has any other person who has visited (except for how good it smells)

I would get some bowls and put regular white vinegar in them all over your room. Wipe down all the desks/counters/cabinets/walls with a spray bottle of white vinegar & water. Open the windows and let all of that air out for a while.

28. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 11, 2009

No she just liked scents. The teacher that had the room before her had no issues with smells in the room. The carpets are only 4 years old, so was just obsessed with scents. Her vehicle has about 30 of those tree air fresheners hanging on her rear view mirror.

29. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 11, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions:)