New Classroom ... Reading Corner??

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by MrsMcD, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Well, I just got home from seeing my new classroom - WOW!! Compared to what I had in NYC, it's absolutely amazing! My mind is spinning with ideas of what I can do with all that space!! :)

Apparently the 6th grade teacher last year did not have a reading corner/area in her room. There is no carpet or anything else that would even hint that something was designated as a reading area.

I will not have my kiddos for ILA (Integrated Language Arts), I'll be teaching the 5th graders math and science. While I'm not responsible for reading, writing, spelling, grammar, etc. I'd still like to have a reading area for kids to read during their free time or even to sprawl out and work on assignments/projects.

Do you think it's a good idea to have one anyway?? I can grab an inexpensive carpet and set up a corner, I was just wondering what people here thought ... worth it??

Thanks!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

There are 12 LA teachers in my middle school and I think only 1 had a reading corner. Our admin. frowned upon it - said it was too elementary. I think they're great if you have the space.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

If you have the space, I'd say to go for it!

5. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

The 6th graders are still in the Elementary School where I'll be teaching, so hopefully it's not considered "too elementary" to my principal. He is very laid back, and said to do what I wanted with the room - so I think I'll go for it!

Thanks for your input!

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

GO FOR IT!!! I have a 6th grader and he HATES having to sit at a desk all day. Kids LOVE to sprawl out on a bean bag chair or something!

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I have a couch in my room, and 12 of those kindermats for kids who want to sprawl out in my room during independent work/project time. The couch is only for special rewards or students who are using their time reading. I can't sit for a solid hour, so I like to provide my kids with the option.

I use the mats because I've had little luck with carpets (two destroyed in floods from our old ac system, and others that just get nasty - our custodians don't vaccuum.

This year I put the couch against the wall by my desk, and left the "open space" in the middle of the desks so that kids who take me up on this will be more "with" the rest of the class.

8. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

That's what I was thinking as well. I think I'm going to do it! :) Thanks!!

9. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Great idea!! So, do you have the desks in your room set up as a horseshoe with the open space in the middle? I did the horseshoe shape with a class once for a couple of months and really liked how accessible everyone was with that layout.

I'll have to see if I can get some mats. Maybe even a big carpet in the center of the room ... hmmm ... you've got my mind wandering again! Thanks for sharing your ideas! :)