New Classroom Library!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by buck8teacher, Jul 8, 2008.

1. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

So I'm finally done with a project I've been waiting to do since I found this idea on Mrs. Van Dyke's website in April! Woohoo! :) I need about six more bins, that I'll put on my wooden bookshelf on the side, but I'm really happy with how it came out. However, I realized I actually do have A LOT of books. I'm trying to not buy any for a while, and replace some that I notice are never read with more popular series from Scholastic throughout the year.
    Most of this library is from the thrift store! YAY for Goodwill!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please excuse the mess that is currently my classroom. I'm actually overhauling and organizing! :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

GORGEOUS!!!!!

Where are the bins from?

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

The bins are from IKEA, they were only $1.50 each and they match my Americana theme perfectly!

5. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Looks great! Where did you get the crates that the bins are stacked on?

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

I got them at Target, and they were extras from an organizing project I did. You could use milk crates too.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

A very attractive and colorful arrangement. Are your books placed in bins that have lexile numbers? If not, how do your students choose the appropriate reading level books? All of my book bins are lexiled so my students know what bins they should be choosing from. The only books not lexiled are non-fiction, bios, animals, nature, magazines.

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

There is a label on each of my books that says what the Lexile of the book, so then they just put it back in the right leveled tub. :) I just alernated red and blue b/c I thought it was pretty!

9. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

That looks great! Very inviting to pick up a book :) Congrats on finishing such a big project too.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

The reason I asked about the label is because I couldn't quite read it from the picture. Thanks for the answer.

11. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Your library looks great! Isn't Goodwill the best? Those bins for $1.50 look great. They look like they are good quality for that price. I'll have to make a trip to IKEA when I get a classroom!

12. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 8, 2008

library

You're hard work definitely paid off! It looks awesome! A+! :)

13. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Looks great! Aren't those lables from Beth Newingham the BEST?! I use them in my room also!

14. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 8, 2008

ooppps on second glance it looks like those are different labels...sorry! :sorry: They still look awesome!!

15. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

No IKEA in Kansas and no $1 bins at Target either!!!:|

16. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

Maybe IKEA will come your way soon? Luckily, our's is a very close drive for me, otherwise I would have had to find something else!

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2008

Very nice! No IKEA or Staples here, but we now have TWO Targets! Yippee! I am waiting on most of my library until I actually have a class of my own, because I don't know what I'll need!

18. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Buck8- It looks AWESOME! I'm jealous! =) I have a bunch of books... but they are packed away while we are living in corporate housing. =( I would love to go ahead and level them, but I'll just have to wait until August! Your room looks very inviting, I love it!

19. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

That looks great!! I went to the website mentioned in your post and saw the instructions for making the shelving. Was it difficult? Where did you find appropriately sized wood? I'd love to do this (I was going to buy garage-style plastic shelving like on http://www.jmeacham.com, but this looks much cheaper!). but I don't have access to power tools for cutting and drilling holes (living in a condo in the city).

20. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

It wasn't hard at all! I just measured the space I wanted to fit it in, and knew I needed a board about eight feet long. My dad and I then took one of the bins with us to Home Depot to figure out which type of board I needed, width wise. I actually didn't need to have my board cut, but Home Depot will cut it down for you.

Then we just spaced out my Target crates. We took a drill and then drilled a couple set of holes where each crate would go. I think I had four zip ties on each board, so a total of eight holes. I took the boards, and crates up to my room and assembled it without any help.

If you take a crate to Home Depot and explain that you don't have the tools, maybe they'll drill the holes for you. In all, it cost me about $55. Bins, boards, crates---you can probably get milk crates donated. :)

Hope this helps!

21. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Great work! Looks FAB!:2up:

22. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Wow, that looks awesome! The pics are enough to make me want to take on the task of organizing my own classroom library. :)

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 9, 2008

Totally cool!!! I have those red and blue bins too! They look nice like that! I have the blue as my leveled book bins, the red as my nonfiction book bins. I bought some smaller bins (they aren't gonna match but oh well!) for chapter book series and favorite authors! I just need to find more shelf space! Milk crates are a great idea. I wonder what the cheapest is we can find them...

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2008

hmmmm... When I was in college, I knew some people who practically decorated their apartments with milk crates! They used to drive behind the grocery stores & snatch em! Of course, I would never advocate that type of thing... that would just be wrong!

25. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

I saw Target has some red and clear (I think) ones that have a bubble-style cutout on the side for $3.49. Pretty cheap, I thought.

26. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Or you could wait until the milk is delivered at your school and "borrow" one. TeeJeeeJiiii:woot:

27. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 9, 2008

If they are made by Sterlite, this is what I used!

Big Lots also has some crates. It also doesn't hurt to ask your local Kroger, Wal Mart, gas station, etc...if you can have a milk crate or two. I used to work for Kroger, and we did this type of thing all the time. Your school cafeteria might have extra as well!

28. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

I would want to read if I were one of your students! Your library looks great!!!

29. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

Those look great! I am tempted to copy them- I got 6 crates from a local garage sale website (like craigslist). I have a question though- do you have a picture where you attached the board to the bins? I can't see it in my head.

Thanks!