new class...4 weeks into the school year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 26, 2017

Hi everyone,

I teach middle school science. My rosters were too low and administration decided to combine my 4 rotations into 3. It was really not that unexpected since one of my classes was teeny tiny. There is some over crowding in other courses in the school, so I was given a new course with kids from all over the school from 4 different teachers to create a new class for me and relieve their over crowding situation. I have never been through this before.

I am not sure where to start on Monday. We are a month into the school year. My gut says to do some procedures, routines, rules and getting to know you type things but I don't want to give up any instruction time. Ideas?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 26, 2017

I would pretend it was the first day of school and start from the beginning. I'd skim over the material the other teachers were supposed to have taught, and slowly get caught up to my original pacing plan.

4. rpan

rpan Cohort

Aug 26, 2017

I wouldn't consider it a waste of time to spend the time to set expectations and do what you would usually do for a new class. It will save you time in the long run when you start the foundations for strong relationships and classroom management.
    Getting to know the students - what they know and don't know can also save you from repeating the unnecessary

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 26, 2017

I would start, for sure, with a pre-test on the stuff they should have already been taught to see how much of it they actually know. I'm from a high school background so we would never waste time on procedures, rules, etc., but perhaps it would be more appropriate in middle school.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 27, 2017

Start from scratch.