New Child. Now?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MimiBee, Apr 29, 2008.

1. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Apr 29, 2008

We are down one child for our total enrollment and they are giving us a new child now....with 7 days of school left. Wth? Please explain how that makes any sense at all! UGH.

Sorry, just needed to vent.

Let me clarify...we are not a public school system but a Head Start facility. Children are on the waiting list to get in and get in when an available spot opens up. Our enrollment has been at 19 now for over a month and they wait until now to give us a child to fill the spot. It isn't that I don't want to "deal" with a new child...I just don't see the logic or sense in starting a child in a new room when there are only 7 days of class left. What can you possibly accomplish in seven days?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2008

That's craziness! I wonder what people are thinking sometimes.

It's like how I just got an IEP for a student I have had all year. I didn't even know this student was in special ed! I haven't been making modifications or anything. UGH!

4. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 29, 2008

Oh dear! I sympathize. I'm getting a new student any day--of course, we have 7 weeks left, and then a 5-week summer program which this student will also attend. . . But yes. Late in the year additions are tricky!!

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 29, 2008

Your program is funded for a certain number of children. Maybe you didn't get to that number this year yet. So, your administration is taking on this child to add to the number served for the year.
    If your program doesn't reach its funded enrollment this year, you might not get as much funding next year.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2008

you already said it..HS...no sense, funding, paperwork...

you are just supposed to follow directions...something I am sure your new friend will have difficulty doing... :(

7. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 1, 2008

Oh I understand all that, but it's still just plain silly. Having said that, our new little guy is a very friendly, happy little boy but I feel we're more or less just "babysitting" him with the end of school so near.

8. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 17, 2008

My program would do the same thing for funding purposes. I understand it from that point of view, though I agree that it is a waste. My confusion is, why would the parent want to send a child for only 7 days? It's not enough to really impact the child for next year, and it's kind of a tease to let him spend 7 days getting to know a group of children, only to leave and not see them again.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

unfortunately, many parents for reasons we know, and may never know are desperately seeking anybody, anywhere who will watch their precious angel for 2-6 hrs.

that's about it.

they don't realize the consequences of being push and pulled around difference places...

unless...they have gone thru the same...and just dealing with their lives..so kids suffer as they did. :(

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

Same thing just happened to me and right as we were planning for our graduation. It has been difficult to deal with this boy because he has some serious emotional problems on top of being thrown into a new situation. He screams and cries all day long about everything. I am counting the days. June 9th. and he will go to our older children's site for the summer.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

I subbed and had a 5th grade class with an enormous boy who looked like a center for the NBA.

He only spoke Polish.

The kids made excuses for him. "He can't do anything..he is new and doesn't speak English."

I had him use the computer.

sigh...

Do you honestly beleive if we sent our kids to a foreign country during the last 2 weeks of school, the teacher would have them sit and do nothing?!

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

Well, I had a boy leave in April to move to Mexico. The school would not accept him, nor would they accept the almost full year of learning that he has done. They were going to require him to start the whole school year over next year.

The parents moved back and he rejoined our class because of it.