New Career Tech Ed Teachers, what do you wish you knew?

Discussion in 'Special Subjects' started by Patrick Graham, May 20, 2016.

1. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Rookie

May 20, 2016

Many career technical education teachers come straight out of industry and into the classroom. What do you wish you knew how to do (ie. attendance, classroom management, student organizations etc.) during that first day of class and/or during your first year?

3. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 21, 2016

Thanks for starting this thread. I wish we had out own category here it is nice to bounce ideas of of each other...sometimes I feel we are all alone.

I would like to know more about the student organizations (DECA, FBLA etc). I also wish we had more time to go into the communities and establish relationships with businesses for either internships and/or classroom speakers....CTE is best done in and outside of the classroom unlike the core subjects of Math, English etc.

4. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Rookie

May 23, 2016

Good evening VA. I see from your post that you mentioned DECA and FBLA, which leads me to think that you're a marketing and entrepreneurship, or business services teacher. I taught marketing and entrepreneurship for 18 years and fully integrated DECA into my classroom. What questions do you have about DECA and FBLA?

5. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

May 23, 2016

Yes I am Marketing.....I understand what DECA and FBLA is I just don't understand competitions and what you do ie prepare, compete etc etc etc........do you do after school club stuff or is it done within your classroom...yada yada yada.

6. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Rookie

May 24, 2016

Beginning in September, my students were given a thorough overview of DECA and because of sales projects that the class also participates in, I register every student as a member. My syllabus for Marketing I and II includes the requirements that every student must do an individual project, small group project, and large group project. In Michigan, there are the Merit Award projects, a series of ten projects which are perfect for beginning marketing students, but other DECA individual written projects are fine. After the initial ten projects (about ten weeks worth) they can continue on to silver and gold levels which qualify them for competition at the state level. Students are also required to choose a small group project, and then participate in a large group project (such as a service project) ran by a student with full class participation. Any of the projects that they participate in are graded, and can be used for competition. Officers hold chapter meetings right in class as well.
    As soon as students decide if they are going to participate in series events, they are given study materials and then prior to the actual competitions, they practice their role plays in class with one another. Yes, to get everything in you have to be uber organized and students have to be on task as soon as they set foot in the door.

7. puneet

puneet Guest

Aug 15, 2016

Thanks for starting the great threat of own kind and i am the one who is going starting teaching student about digital marketing in "Indi It academy" from cumming month , i have industry experience what never teach and trained anyone in my entire life and i very exited to know little things about it.
    i would like to know more about daily routine task that i need to take care of other than training program.
    and how can i effectively handle no teaching programs .
    Even i am going to get support from organization what still i want to stay prepared for it in advance..

Thanks

8. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Rookie

Aug 17, 2016

Puneet, what is the average age of the students you will be teaching/training?