new car!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by emb382, Jun 16, 2012.

1. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

Since I have to commute for my new job, I am in the market for a new car. I know the car I want, but I need some help! Manual or automatic? Here are my pros and cons:

Manual:
    *I would FINALLY be able to master it (I can do it, but it has been a few years. I never had my own vehicle to practice on, so I just didn't master it)
    *My friends think I should go this route because they want manual transmissions for this same reason
    *Since I am commuting, what if I get tired of changing gears? I know it will be new and fun for a while, but I will have this car for a few years(hopefully!)

Automatic:
    *I am purchasing a Mazda3, and they have the manual mode (slapshift or paddleshift...or something), so it will still be fun. Plus, I will have the option of changing gears, with the convenience of the AT
    *I can install a remote start (for extreme weather) down the road
    *What if I regret not getting the MT for the sole reason of FINALLY truly learning?

I have had mixed responses. I need help! Which should I choose? Why? Thanks!! :)

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 16, 2012

Get an automatic. It will be better for resale value.

4. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jun 16, 2012

Personally I love driving a manual car so that is what I would choose. Plus manual cars are a little cheaper.
    The only time I don't like having a manual car is when I want another family member or friend to drive for me and they can only drive auto - just an occasional annoyance.
    I don't know anything about the manual mode though so that could be something that gives you a bit of both worlds :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2012

If you're in a cold or snowy climate, that remote start is worth its weight in gold!!!!

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 16, 2012

I love driving a stick. I drove one for years and never "got tired" of it. It becomes so "automatic" (ha) that you don't even think about it, even when you are in stop and go traffic jams.

BUT, I love my remote start. We have 100 degree summers and 10 degree winters. Getting into a climate controlled truck is much better than having fun driving a stick.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 16, 2012

Manual gets better gas mileage but I have no idea how much better. The car brochure should give you an idea. I never had any interest though. One bonus, you can work parking cars as a side/summer job if you need some cash.

8. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

There really is no difference in gas mileage. Thanks for the replies!

9. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jun 16, 2012

I LOVE my remote start. LOVE it. It was a birthday gift from my husband a few years ago. I have already told him I will never go without it again. My next car will not leave the car lot without it! For that reason alone I would go with an automatic.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2012

I have a manual; most of my cars have been manuals. Love them!

What's the price difference?

11. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

There isn't much of a noticeable price difference. Forking out the extra $1000 or so for the AT would not be a deal breaker. This is my first car that will be completely mine, so I want something that is gonna make me happy.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2012

I would keep in mind driving distance and terrain. I drive from North Carolina to Michigan at least four times a year, and I would not want a manual- especially going through the mountains. It is nerve wracking enough without having to concentrate on shifting.

13. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

Great point! Add that to the list of AT pros. I should add that I have ADD, and that is especially evident when driving.

14. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jun 16, 2012

I have a mazda3 and is automatic but it has the manual option you mentioned. I personally don't use the manual option often but my ex used it everytime he drove it and loved having the option. Mazda3 is a great car, I love mine! I would also love remote start I wish I had that option when I got mine!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 16, 2012

I like automatic.

My car is a late enough model to have had an engine start button, but it doesn't. :)

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2012

I miss having a standard. It wasn't an option when I got my last vehicle or I'd still have one.

17. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 18, 2012

I would get automatic mainly for the reason that someone else may need to drive your car in an emergency or whatever else comes up. Most people in the US are only comfortable with automatic these days. I understand though, I'd really like to master manual!

18. Jimhassel

Jimhassel Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

Automatic car's are the main course in market. Get automatic one and enjoy the experience. In automatic you will get the full advantage in resale time. Manuals are not demanded in market and you will not negotiate more in resale time.

19. First School

First School Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

With automatic one any one in family can drive the car but it's difficult to drive manual rather than automatic. but problem with the repair part. In comparison with manual, automatic need more maintenance.

20. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

AT-good points about the terrain, resale value, and emergency driving.

21. Longfellow

Longfellow Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

If you are in a heavy traffic area like I am, having an automatic is a lifesaver for those stop and go commutes.

22. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2012

I loooove my manual. I really enjoy driving and driving a standard is just more fun. :) It also sort of makes me feel like a bad @$$ since there's not many people in the USA who can drive a stick. I also liked having my standard because I can push start it. Don't even ask how many times I've had to do that;) Oh and another reason- like I said not many people can drive it, so when we carpool to a bar we always have to take someone else's car, in case I can't drive home. Saves on gas!:haha: But yeah, they totally blow in stop and go traffic.