New Calendar routine

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Teacher13, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

This is my second year teaching kindergarten and I'm looking for some new ideas to add to my morning calendar routine. I already have:

Calendar, Date, Weather, Counting to 100, Today is Yesterday was Tomorrow will be, word wall months of the year, days of the week.

Anything else fun I can add???

Thanks!

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 30, 2005

I always put a penny in for each day. That teaches them coins, values, and equal values (trade 5 pennies for a nickel, etc). It takes them awhile to catch on but they do. Also, keeping track of the number of days using sticks. Good for place value. Then they write the number that tells how many days of school.

4. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Aug 30, 2005

I do the straws for each day along with a number line (in which we write the number on a cut-out that tells how many days we've been at school.)

Count backwards from 10...gradually increase to at least 20, if not higher

Estimation jar--fill a clear container with objects and have the children guess how many things are in there...they are not allowed to count!

Attendance (this is great for later in the year with addition and subtraction!)
    .._____ children are in our class
    .._____ children are here today
    .._____ child/children are absent today

I also do patterns with the days on the calendar. (I might use 3 different shapes to write the #s on...the children have to tell me what shape or color might come next in the pattern before we put it on the calendar.)

Temperature (I either call time and temp OR we watch the weather channel to see what the temperature is in our area.)

Weather--We graph the weather for the week and keep a tally of how many sunny, cloudy, snowy, partly cloudy, foggy, and rainy days we have during the year.

Count by 10's, 5's and 2's (introduced in that order) I don't usually start tens until they've gotten the routines down. I start 5's around November/December and 2's in February/March time frame.

Also, when couting to 100, have them clap for the 10's.