New CA Teacher Seeking Answers to Job Questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chasingdreams, May 24, 2010.

1. chasingdreams

chasingdreams New Member

May 24, 2010

I'm currently a pre-service teacher and a sub in CA. I have two weeks to go for my multiple subject and a year to go to finish my master's in special education (paired with a mod/severe credential) I plan to search for jobs soon but I understand the market is not great for this where I live: LA County. Does anyone know where to look? I am willing to leave the city and/ or state. Also, another question I have is, do you know how to get a job share teaching? I probably have to be a tenured teacher. Am I right? (I'm working on some things and would not mind a job share but a full time job would also be nice). Thanks in advance!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2010

The obvious place to start, and I'd bet you've already tried it, is EdJoin (http://www.edjoin.org) - most districts in most parts of California list jobs there. I'll add that "LA County" covers rather a lot of real estate; while LA City Schools may not be hiring, it's by no means the only district in the county, and it's not impossible that some other districts in somewhat far-flung corners of the county might have an opening.

And we'll hope that someone else comes along with some niftier suggestions for you. In the meantime, hugs, and courage to you!

4. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

May 25, 2010

I check EdJoin every day, and I am in the San Diego area. It is tight all over the state, but I do think the best chance of getting a job would be in the charter schools. You just have to be ready to apply to an opening when you see it (on EdJoin). There was a Sub position at a charter middle school that was posted on Monday (deadine was in Aug). That job is not posted anymore, they probably have more than enough applicants. I am still looking for a Bio teaching position, eventually something will come up. I don't know about teaching jobs out of the state. Good Luck!

5. chasingdreams

chasingdreams New Member

May 25, 2010

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

6. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 25, 2010

In my area, in a job share only one of the teachers had to be contracted, the other could be a long term sub. However, with all the layoffs, I have heard that the districts are putting the laid off teachers into those job shares that have a long term sub.

7. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

May 26, 2010

Sometimes districts post on their own website and not always on Edjoin. You can call the HR dept. of the districts you are interested in and/or check out those websites. Make packets and mail them out to the districts (include CL, resume, letters of reference, etc). You never know, you just might get a response!

Edited to add: It really is a tough situation out here, though.

8. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 26, 2010

Private schools are also an option. I did a google search for the type of school I was interested in and the area I was looking. I then either sent in an application if they had them on their website or sent in my resume/cover letter to the principal listed on the website. I've had 2 interviews so far!