New CA requirements CBEST Vs. CSET

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by MacGuffin, May 1, 2007.

1. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

May 1, 2007

I just moved to CA and got my multiple subject credential and apparently have to fulfil some state specific Basic Skills Requirement by the end of the year. My three years of teaching and MA don't seem to hold any weight, but I digress. Since the rules have just loosened up a little bit I had a question.

According to new rules in CA which you can read here,
    ctc.ca.gov/notices/coded/060021/060021.pdf,
    you can take either the CBEST or the CSET with writing to fulfill the requirement. You can also take the GRE for the requirement which I took in 1999 but I suspect they won't accept that since it is too old.

So my question to teachers in CA is, what is the difference between the two? Which is shorter, easier, or less a pain? Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2007

You've taught out of state? As in having a credential or certificate or license or whatever it was called there? See http://www.ctc.ca.gov/notices/coded/060028/060028.pdf, especially page 2: could be that you're off the hook entirely.

As to CBEST vs. CSET-Writing, the difference in terms of form is that CSET-Writing is basically the essay-writing part of CBEST, sprung out as its own thing in compliance with SB 1209 and because CSET-Multiple Subjects already tests reading comprehension (implicitly) and math (explicitly). It's just being introduced for the May 19 test date, however, and new tests tend to be accompanied by glitches and hitches in scoring and score reporting. And how it would transfer to single subject credentials isn't clear. And CBEST really and truly is basic.

In short, anyone who needs scores in a hurry and anyone who might consider a credential other than multiple subjects should probably be taking CBEST rather than CSET-Writing.

4. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

May 1, 2007

Thanks for the help. I'm not off the hook though, it says specifically on the CAL multi-subject credential I just received (after 4 months of processing!) that I have to meet the CA basic skills requirement by December. Since I haven't taken any basic skills tests to speak of since the GRE in 1999 and it wasn't a requirement in WA, even with the new options going by your advice it looks like the CBEST is still the best bet for me. After taking the online practice CBEST test it doesn't look tough and its not that expensive, so I might as well sign up to take that this summer.

Now the one I'm worried about is the CTEL/CLAD which I just learned I also have to take to get a job with most of the districts around here!

You'd think I was trying to get a job with the circus, what with all this hoop jumping.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2007

If you navigated the GRE all right, you should have no trouble whatever with CBEST (well, except possibly for overwriting on the essay task: think structure, not artistry).

Have you chatted up the nice people at your local county office of education?

As to CTEL, there's been a thread or two on it at A to Z, and some good recommendations.