New BMC spec ed teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Greenie, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Greenie

Greenie New Member

Aug 4, 2008

Hello all!!! This is my first year teaching and I'll be in a BMC unit. Any suggestions to control the behavior in the class? I'm extremely nervous but excited about the challenge.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

BMC? I take it that is deals with students with behavior issues?

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 5, 2008

May I ask what BMC is? Congrats!

5. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

What grade level?

I would definitely start with a strick routine and lay out the rules and reward system. Make sure it's something they want to earn/loose.

6. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Working with Behavior Students Requires a Routine!

I know that when you work with students with behavior issues, you need to break the assignments into smaller chunks and give frequent breaks. Do not force or expect the student to complete the assignment, but stand your ground when there is a protest. Do not argue, just deliver the consequence. If a student becomes a danger to himself or others, you will need to remove the rest of the class from the room IMMEDIATELY! Try to figure out what "triggers" most of the behaviors from your students. If they have physical altercations with other students, you will have to separate them as well. You have to realize that these students ARE NOT like general education students. Each situation that occurs you will have to evaluate. They all have individual behavior plans and that is what you need to follow when delivering consequences. Even if you don't agree with what is written, that is what you're legally contracted to. Also, make sure that you have time for your students to move around the room as much as possible or give them time to expel the energy in a physical activity. Try your hardest to never have to restrain any student. If something occurs where there is physical intervention, document everything that occurred and who was present. Get signatures of staff who were present as well. You will probably have to keep data on behaviors too. I used to work with students with autism and it can be very challenging, but you can't take anything personally. :cool:

Aspieteacher

7. Greenie

Greenie New Member

Aug 7, 2008

Thanks for feedback

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes, BMC is a Behavioral Mananagement center. I'm sure it will be the hardest year of my life but I'm up to the challenge. Does anyone have any center ideas? Obviously I don't want to go over board.

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

My best advice would be to make everything a non-choice and I'll give you an example. John has to do his math paper. He may pick the even or the odd number problems to do. He has some control and yet, he is doing what is expected of him.

What age are you talking about? Centers--computer is usually a big one. My ED kids loved this game called M&M Rescue. It was a video game, but it worked on math problems. I'd also think about books on tape or even recording some lessons on tape so the child can rewind to "get it" Puzzles can be frustrating, but some kids like them. Try tanagrams, they seem to be effective.

Oh, and my best piece of advice is to have some "brain music" playing during the work periods. I like Pachelbel because it's calming (research-based), but Mozart is good too. One of my little guys got so he would ask for "that church music" when he was getting upset.

9. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

What grades will the class be?

10. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 7, 2008

Hi!

This is my first year in an ED unit with little (K-2) kiddos. So we're in the same boat. :)

Do you have any paras in your room? I have two and so far they have been of great help to me in telling me what was done before, and what seemed to work well and what did not.

11. MRHY

MRHY New Member

Aug 13, 2008

I am in the same Texas sized boat. I am starting an internship as a Middle School AB (Adaptive Behavior-Emotional/Behavioral issues) Self Contained Teacher. I have received some ideas from colleagues but am still nervous. I will be going over the classroom rules and consequences the first day as well as engaging the kids in activities that will help them relax. One activity is getting that foam stuff and filling their own personal stress balloons. I think the thing that makes me nervous is trying to figure out what we are teaching to, the TAKS, TEKS, Source and Scope, or the IEP? I hope my meetings next week at my home campus will be able to answer those questions.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 13, 2008

I have a self-contained class for grades 1-6 for students with mild to moderate cognitive delays and are also EBD. I can have a maximum of 8 students and I have 2 aides.