New BB idea Please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dizzybri14, Dec 24, 2007.

1. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Dec 24, 2007

Ok.. so I had to take down the Polar Express BB I had up ("too Christmasy"). Any ideas on a first grade bb for winter?? We are going to be working on basic math facts for math. I thought about something with "Fact Families" but unsure where to go with it...:help:

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Dec 24, 2007

Snowflakes, snowmen..... not sure what else would fit.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 24, 2007

Well here's an idea-- not a lot of people like it- but I'm of the new philosophy that buliten (can't spell it) boards are to display the kids work. So I take pictures of the kids doing work and then put a simple sentence or two about what is going on. Also list the state standard. If they have produced written work- I put the page next to it as well. No mass produced events, no refrigerator art, just displaying students learning/work. Not everyone gets a shot to be on the b board every time otherwise it looks to cluttered.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ow...bXz&sig=w6eldSWr-Fg1CVlTY0ueSa4ibeA#PPA100,M1 page 99 - 101 may give you some tips of what I am talking about.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2007

geometry snowmen (have the kids tally how many of each shape they use to construct their snowman)

Money snowmen- assign a price to big snowballs, medium , small. Different prices for hats, shovels, eyes, types of noses, etc. Have kids make snowmen and add up their 'price'....

Snowflake similes

Winter poetry
    You might want to try the spell check button on the post reply box...

7. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

We're starting fact families in January and I was thinking of a bulletin board as well - just thought of this today, maybe you could build on it -

I was thinking "Meet the Fact Families" and have houses with 4 "stories" (levels of the house) in each with each level having a different fact on it. The houses could be as simple as squares with triangles as the roofs (I'm NOT creative at ALL, and I can't draw.....lol) I was wanting to have it interactive and possibly have the children create the facts to go in the houses.....but I haven't really thought much further on it than "Meet the Fact Families" and each being inside a house.....sorry.... :)

Let me know if you have any ideas - I'd love to hear them so I can do something cool with my "fact family" bulletin board too!!

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2007

You could do snowman glyphs. In case you don't know what they are, kids follow directions and according to what is true for them, they do for their snowman.

Example:
    Give the snowman as many buttons as brothers and sisters you have.

If you like hot chocolate, give your snowman a hat. If you don't, do not give him a hat.

Then the kids can guess who did what...but its not multiplication.

You can also do symettry with snowflakes. I can't spell today. You can use those paper snowflakes kids cut out. I did it with tenth grade kids to teach geometry and they loved it!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 26, 2007

Make a snowy scene with houses. Smoke coming out of chimneys looking all cozy. On mailboxes or something put the family names (Fours Family) and inside each shape write the fact family problems.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 26, 2007

What about hats/mittens? Maybe a number on each of 2 mittens, then a 3rd number on the hat? You could make each set a different color or pattern?

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2007

That one sounds like you could do a interactive board.

12. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. I love that I can post something and get such varied responses! :)