New Baby Arrived- I'm GLAD and a bit sad

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissFroggy, May 13, 2009.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 13, 2009

So a good friend of mine had a baby yesterday (a great reason to be glad!) I live literally 2 blocks from the hospital and she said she would have me be one of the first to visit.

I have tried calling, but no answer from her or her partner. So, well, I got a group email saying mom and baby were resting a lot today. I figured that meant no visitors.

Then, the facebook photos were posted by another good friend who went to visit.

How does this baby thing work? Can you just drop by? Do people get invited? I am feeling sort of foolish. I don't want them to think I don't care (because I do, and am feeling sad suddenly that I may have missed my chance to visit.) I have ZERO friends who have had babies, at least in the last 10+, and then, I think I only went to see one in the hospital and I was 19 years old then and it was my BFF from elementary school and she was single and alone, so it was just me and her mom... totally different scenario.

I am feeling awful right now. They had told me to come when the baby was born, and I am afraid I missed my chance... it's 6:30 pm now.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2009

You totally did not miss your chance! Just stop over when you get a bit of time. I would think it's hard to schedule visits around a baby. Our upstairs neighbor had a baby girl, and I got her a fabric owl that my friends makes-they are so beautiful. I brought it up, and the grandma answered the door. All the other adults were showering or something. The unfortunate part is I don't think the grandma told them who brought the owl, as we never got a visit or a thank-you. But anyhow, just stop by.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 13, 2009

I would just stop in!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 13, 2009

I don't think it's too late to drop by. Many times mom is too busy to answer the phone.

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

I would go. I have had 4 kids and each time the only people who came to see me where my mom, and my husband. Well except when I had my 5 year old. My husband brought the other kids and my MIL came to see me. UGHHHH Could have done without MIL.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 13, 2009

I took your advice and did go! It was nice! I was there with her brothers and niece, who was once in my class (several years ago!)

The baby was darling!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 13, 2009

I'm glad that you went!

9. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

Glad you stopped by -- you might be feeling kind of miffed that she didn't hold to her promise to have you be one of the first to visit, but be aware that there's a lot that scatters the brain in the first few days. Actually, I believe there's some research done that short-term memory of new mothers immediately declines after a birth (I figure there would be fewer second babies if this decline didn't happen ;))

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 14, 2009

Glad you stopped as well. I agree with 3Sons. Plus you may not know the circumstances of the whole delivery thing either. I know when mine were fast you don't have a moments thought of anything.

You know you should really stop by if she's close to you with a dinner or something. That was the absolute best after coming home with a new baby, being able to not worry about dinner. I know my sister did this with her friend as well. She made a couple of casseroles for her friend to pop in the freezer, so she could just thaw & bake!!! She would really appreciate I'M SURE OF IT!!!