New autistic support teacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by msmac21, Aug 8, 2015.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 8, 2015

After searching for a position I was finally hired by an inner city district yesterday to as an autistic support teacher for grades 3-5!

Now comes setting up my classroom and getting ready for the new school year! Any advice?? I have been a LTS in just about everything EXCEPT autistic support.

I don't have my caseload yet and can't get into my classroom until they finish putting in new floors, but I know I'll have no more than 10 kids. I'm hoping that the classroom is pretty well equipped. The teacher that just retired has been there for many, many years so hoping she left all her stuff behind!

Any and all advice is appreciated : )

3. TIRCO

TIRCO Rookie

Aug 9, 2015

Visual schedules! Also, label each work area in the classroom with a corresponding picture on their schedule. I'm also planning on putting social stories in the bathroom on the mirror to help the kids remember the routine for washing and drying hands.

4. ca_sped

ca_sped Rookie

Aug 9, 2015

A predictable routine and structure with written (visual) expectations posted everywhere! I have visuals posted at the sink, at the computer station, at independent work stations, in the leisure area, at the calm down area, and then students who need it also have visuals posted at their desks and other areas of the classroom. That way you can just point to the visual instead of having to talk to the student when they aren't following expectations.